2 Months Or More?

Hi All,

I plan on going to Chiang Mai either in July or August for as long as I can. I am 28 years old and UK Citizen. I have a girl there that I want to be with.

I am very good at Media Production, Business ideas, website design and teaching with computers etc. I want to see if I can get a business or job there doing something like I mention. If not then if I get a Tourist Visa valid for 60days could I just cross the border into another country and come back into Thailand within like 10mins or do I have to stay overnight in that country before entering Thailand again?

I will be taking about 120,000baht with me, maybe more. I am leaving my job in the UK to do this idea. If setting up a business there will I need to proove of what I plan on doing such as a business plan on paper?

Any information is great, Thanks.

Also what type of Visa is required?

Andrew

UK.

Edited by Andy76

Hi All,

I plan on going to Chiang Mai either in July or August for as long as I can. I am 28 years old and UK Citizen. I have a girl there that I want to be with.

I am very good at Media Production, Business ideas, website design and teaching with computers etc. I want to see if I can get a business or job there doing something like I mention. If not then if I get a Tourist Visa valid for 60days could I just cross the border into another country and come back into Thailand within like 10mins or do I have to stay overnight in that country before entering Thailand again?

I will be taking about 120,000baht with me, maybe more. I am leaving my job in the UK to do this idea. If setting up a business there will I need to proove of what I plan on doing such as a business plan on paper?

Any information is great, Thanks.

Andrew

UK.

well 120.000 will be just enough probably for two months :o

search the board for company setup questions and you'll soon realise setting up a biz with that kind of money is way out of your reach. maybe you could land a small job as an english teacher but that will be it. :D

As said - you have enough money to keep yourself and GF happy for a month or two and that is about it. You do not walk in here and establish a business without upfront money - you have to be legal with proper visa and a work permit - which you are not going to have in your plans. So who is going to buy from the illegal Brit in the slum apartment when they can hire professional Thai speaking production companies with full facilities at a price you could never meet?

If you have a degree and are willing to take a teaching job you might open the door with that and perhaps move more into your field later if you are really good and can show it; but it would likely not be an easy path. But if you are 28 with only 120,000 baht to your name and no better business plans than you have outlined you are very likely to be down and out within a year.

Do you really have nothing and no hopes in the UK? If not, and you have the backup of teaching English here, perhaps you could make a go of it but it will not be easy. As for the GF be aware that they have been known to follow the money so be just as careful as you would be at home. Good luck whatever you decide.

Edited by lopburi3

A gloomy outlook eh Andy. Company startup costs would eat up half of your 120,000 THB in a blink, and to get a work permit your company must have a minimum Registered Capital of 2 Million THB anyway, 25% of which must be paid up.

If you are really set on this idea of coming here, then send your 120,000 on gettng a decent TEFL certificate and go the English Teaching route. Remember to network as hard as possible and other opportunities will come up eventually.

Its just not realistic to go to a foreign country with so little and expect to be a success without knowing the lie of the land so to speak.

But if I have the equipment to do Media Video Production such as computer and cameras etc, then surely I wont need money to set up business?

Don't let the doom and gloom merchants worry you too much. I came here with a mere 2,500,000 baht and have now set up my own business that earns me a comfortable 3000 baht each month. If you max out all your credit cards and take out a loan before you leave you could easily get that together and as long as your honey can keep her hands out of your wallet for a couple of weeks you might be able to get the business running before she takes you to the cleaners.

You might not be able to save much toward your return trip though so you should think seriously about how you will get back to England. Maybe that TEFL certificate is a good idea after all.

But if I have the equipment to do Media Video Production such as computer and cameras etc, then surely I wont need money to set up business?

Don't let the doom and gloom merchants worry you too much. I came here with a mere 2,500,000 baht and have now set up my own business that earns me a comfortable 3000 baht each month. If you max out all your credit cards and take out a loan before you leave you could easily get that together and as long as your honey can keep her hands out of your wallet for a couple of weeks you might be able to get the business running before she takes you to the cleaners.

You might not be able to save much toward your return trip though so you should think seriously about how you will get back to England. Maybe that TEFL certificate is a good idea after all.

:o