Re-entry Permit

A re-entry permit means that you can leave the country and come back while your current permission to stay remains intact. It does not give you any extra time. If you want to re-enter after yur permission to stay is expired you have to get a new visa.

What you probably want to do is to extend your permission to stay. Your school needs to help you with the required documents for that and will now what to do and where to go.

1. You do not have a one year ED visa if it is something you obtained in Bangkok.

2. You either have an extension of stay for 3 months or 12 months.

3. As you say "3 months as usual" have to believe it is a 3 month extension of stay.

4. The re-entry permit will keep that current permitted to stay alive - it will not add any time to it - on return you will get the same date stamped in your passport as you currently have.

5. You need to pay 1,000 baht, provide photo and fill out form at the immigration office you obtained your extension of stay to obtain the re-entry permit.

It does not give you any extra time.
4. The re-entry permit will keep that current permitted to stay alive - it will not add any time to it - on return you will get the same date stamped in your passport as you currently have.

I had a 1-year multiple entry visa before and was travelling the first 6 weeks, leaving and entering the Kingdom several times. Everytime I entered the Kingdom, they stamped me a 3-months permit, i.e. everytime I entered the Kingdom the 3 months started from new. Effectively, it was after 4,5 months when I had to extend my stay for another year, not after 3 months, because everytime I re-entered the Kingdom another 3 months were stamped. So I thought having a 1-year single entry visa with a re-entry permit will do the same, i.e. leave the country and get another 3 months stamped. Is that different to a 1-year multiple entry visa?

It does not give you any extra time.

I had a 1-year multiple entry visa before and was travelling the first 6 weeks, leaving and entering the Kingdom several times. Everytime I entered the Kingdom, they stamped me a 3-months permit, i.e. everytime I entered the Kingdom the 3 months started from new. Effectively, it was after 4,5 months when I had to extend my stay for another year, not after 3 months, because everytime I re-entered the Kingdom another 3 months were stamped. So I thought having a 1-year single entry visa with a re-entry permit will do the same, i.e. leave the country and get another 3 months stamped. Is that different to a 1-year multiple entry visa?

You are confusing several matters. A one year multiple entry visa is not the same as a re-entry permit and a one year multiple entry visa is not the same as extension of stay.

With multiple entry visa you will get a new 90 day permission to stay each time you enter the Kingdom as long as your visa is valid. You cannot get a single entry 12 month visa; your choices are either single entry visa (90 days) or multiple entry visa (12 months) if you meet the requirements.

If you are on 12 month extension of stay you will need to obtain a re-entry permit before leaving the Kingdom to keep your current permission to stay alive. On re-entry you would be stamped back into the Kingdom with permission to stay date being 12 months from date of approval of extension of stay. It does not add any more days.