Visa Options

What are the options for a single British 30 year old with circa 100k baht per month income generated (and taxed) overseas to stay in Thailand long term, other than on a tourist visa?

Seems like the 4 hours a week ED visa is about the only option for someone in this category? Marry a local bar girl? Become a teacher? Surely there is some middle ground?

----edited the marriage option a tad----- Monty

Unfortunately not many. We used to have the investment visa option (3 million in government bank, or new condo or combination of both).

Now defunct.

So yes, the education visa is an option, with the added bonus of learning the local lingo!

Apart from the above, several locations worldwide have Thai consulates or embassies where obtaining a multiple entry non immigrant is almost guaranteed.

With this type of visa you'd need to do a visa run (land border is OK) every 90 days, and with a bit of proper timing this option gives you almost 15 months.

As for the above post, buying a condo is no option anymore (at least not at the 3 million Baht level, might be possible at 10 million though), nor is running your own business.

A new business has to be operating basically for almost 2 years (with all audited book keeping proving sufficient income) before one could get a 1 year extension for it's foreign employee(s).

Marriage is indeed an option (40,000 Baht income on the husbands side required, or 400K Baht in the bank), however likely very difficult to obtain for very recent marriages!

however likely very difficult to obtain for very recent marriages!

Can you explain that? I have not seen any such report or indication of an issue with "recent marriage". People do get married and do receive extensions of stay if they meet the requirements.

Edited by lopburi3

Apply for a multiple NON O visa in Hull UK. Then you ok for a total of 15 months.

After that, every 6 months go to a neighbour asia country ("friendly") and apply for a 2 entry TR visa, with extension totals to 6 months.

Or go to Perth or Hull again and repeat step 1 for a new Non O visa.

These 2 places are known for being friendly = give Non O visa for visit friends.

Apply for a multiple NON O visa in Hull UK. Then you ok for a total of 15 months.

After that, every 6 months go to a neighbour asia country ("friendly") and apply for a 2 entry TR visa, with extension totals to 6 months.

These 2 places are known for being friendly = give Non O visa for visit friends.

You can obtain these visas at the moment for sure, but with immigration clampdown cannot guarantee they will be available at future date. Brisbane, usually friendly consulate, said can no longer issue Non-O visas on basis of visiting friends according to report last week. Vientiane (only embassy issuing double entry tourist visas in the region) are going great guns with the red stamp. The MFA is closing the door on spanish practices ...

Edited by thaiphoon

Surely there is some middle ground?

There is a very relevant reply to your question! - become a monk :) (not joking, it is a valid option and one which I considered - albeit briefly - when I was in the same situation as you)

Simon

You can obtain these visas at the moment for sure, but with immigration clampdown cannot guarantee they will be available at future date. Brisbane, usually friendly consulate, said can no longer issue Non-O visas on basis of visiting friends according to report last week. Vientiane (only embassy issuing double entry tourist visas in the region) are going great guns with the red stamp. The MFA is closing the door on spanish practices ...

I got my non imm O from Hull in January. As I am living in BKK but working offshore overseas, is there somewhere closer to thailand that I can get a new non Imm O easily when mine runs out nex year?

Can you explain that? I have not seen any such report or indication of an issue with "recent marriage". People do get married and do receive extensions of stay if they meet the requirements.

The guy is not yet married nor does he have a girlfriend.

Immigration seems to do a pretty thorough back ground check, including interviewing the wife, a fair few pictures of you and your wife in your residence and in front of it, a visit from immigration to check everything out, including sometimes interviewing your neighbors just to make sure you are living together as husband and wife!

What I insinuated was that picking up a girl, straight to the local district office for marriage and then to immigration for your marriage extension might not work!!!

Unlike for example the retirement extension, where if your funding is correct and accounted for you will receive you extension right on the spot with no further questions asked.

Marriage extension still needs a whole bunch of officials to go over the application including some higher ups at Bkk head office!

What are the options for a single British 30 year old with circa 100k baht per month income generated (and taxed) overseas to stay in Thailand long term, other than on a tourist visa?

Seems like the 4 hours a week ED visa is about the only option for someone in this category? Marry a local bar girl? Become a teacher? Surely there is some middle ground?

Why do you think there should be some middle ground? You don't pay taxes here nor do you seem to have any connection to the country, hence tourist visa is you're only option.

I am in the same boat, however my tax situation is a little different :)

I get my non-immigrant 'B' visa issued in the Thai consulate in Cardiff as and when I require it.

I don't travel home as I have applied for a second passport in Bangkok which is easy with a bit of supporting paperwork.

Hints are:

*I need to travel to Israel and also Arab countries, which causes problems if Israeli stamps are in the passport.

*I am required to apply for visa's for countries regularly but am still required to be on call at a moments notice for travel to other countries.

I send the passport home to a friend who forwards it to the consulate, receives it back and then DHL's it back to me here.

Note: It is illegal to have a visa issued while you are still in Thailand, so to be 100% legal make a trip to a neighbouring country whilst the visa is being 'stamped', the consulates being for profit organisations will turn it around in a day.

Immigration seems to do a pretty thorough back ground check, including interviewing the wife, a fair few pictures of you and your wife in your residence and in front of it, a visit from immigration to check everything out, including sometimes interviewing your neighbors just to make sure you are living together as husband and wife!

What I insinuated was that picking up a girl, straight to the local district office for marriage and then to immigration for your marriage extension might not work!!!

Unlike for example the retirement extension, where if your funding is correct and accounted for you will receive you extension right on the spot with no further questions asked.

Marriage extension still needs a whole bunch of officials to go over the application including some higher ups at Bkk head office!

Monty,

Usual Worldwide..... $$ Talks, etc.

kind rgdz from CMai,

Brewsta

Rgdz Brewsta

Monty,

Usual Worldwide..... $$ Talks, etc.

kind rgdz from CMai,

Brewsta

Rgdz Brewsta

IMHO, sub judice, of course.

rgdz

Brewsta

Edited by Brewsta

@thaiphoon: YOU are wrong!

READ the OP post 1 again.

This is 2nd time in this thread you try correct me - both time you wrong.

IF you have a issue with me = PM me!

From OP post number 1:

"What are the options for a single British 30 year old with circa 100k baht per month income generated (and taxed) overseas to stay in Thailand long term, other than on a tourist visa?

Seems like the 4 hours a week ED visa is about the only option for someone in this category? Marry a local bar girl? Become a teacher? Surely there is some middle ground?"

@thaiphoon: w h e r e did OP talk about Non B ???????

I responded to OP - no others.

Get your facts right!

Edited by Smile4u

Get your facts right!

Taiphoon was responding to Taffy Lee who rather hijacked the thread and talked about B Visas.

So in fact he was correct as it was not very clear who you were responding to.

A simple misunderstanding. :)

From OP post number 1:

"What are the options for a single British 30 year old with circa 100k baht per month income generated (and taxed) overseas to stay in Thailand long term, other than on a tourist visa?

Seems like the 4 hours a week ED visa is about the only option for someone in this category? Marry a local bar girl? Become a teacher? Surely there is some middle ground?"

Get your facts right!

Your comments were posted directly under post #16 without any reference to any other post. That does suggests a 'follow on' to the previous post. When commenting on other postings (unless the postings have been wholly focused on the Op - which they were not here) then is good practice to use the "Reply" button and edit out unneccesary text, so to show the posting you are refering to. That way there can be no confusion. Other posting? Well, I see you have only made 2 postings in this thread and I said nothing against you in that other posting. No issues or problems on my side. Maybe just a misunderstanding.

Edited by thaiphoon

I got my non imm O from Hull in January. As I am living in BKK but working offshore overseas, is there somewhere closer to thailand that I can get a new non Imm O easily when mine runs out nex year?

Consider Malaysia...

Consider Malaysia...

Malaysia will only issue multi-entry Non-O visa on basis of Thai wife or Thai child. Will not issue for "visiting friends".

I'd look at the teacher route, if you can be sincere about it and are expecting to be there awhile. Thailand can use good teachers and if you like language it'll keep you occupied. Get a TEFL teaching cert before you get there - doesn't take very long. The teaching-visa-work permit jazz you can look up on your own, but I nominate it over the bargirl route ...

I'd look at the teacher route, if you can be sincere about it and are expecting to be there awhile. Thailand can use good teachers and if you like language it'll keep you occupied. Get a TEFL teaching cert before you get there - doesn't take very long. The teaching-visa-work permit jazz you can look up on your own, but I nominate it over the bargirl route ...

I must agree, marrying a bar girl is not a very good option. Learning Thai is a good option as well as teaching english. It would be good to able to communicate with Thai's other than bar girls or some other hustlers whom speak english to ply their "trade." Another one I've heard is study Muay Thai boxing, but I think I'd rather get some education, than learning to fight... After almost five years in Thailand my Thai isn't good, but then I've never been good with language. But knowing some Thai opens more doors than, saying you people need to learn english and having that kind of attitude. It is Thailand and it is for Thai's. You must remember you are a guest in their country... Try to fit in and help... I find it better than I'm a rich farang and it should be my way, you'll end up paying in other ways. What goes around comes around...