Us President Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

webfact

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all of your comments thus far have missed the mark of what the Committee was trying to achieve. Desmond Tutu said:

"It's an award coming near the beginning of the first term of office of a relatively young president that anticipates an even greater contribution towards making our world a safer place for all," Tutu said. "It is an award that speaks to the promise of President Obama's message of hope."

I guess it marks the first time in history that the Committee is trying to "push" a peace winner into future action. Bizarre indeed.

Kissinger won the prize years ago, and he was a warmonger.

Am surprised Zimbabwe's Mugabe was on the short list (according to the OP) this year. Mugabe is to peace what Thaksin is to honesty. Maybe because Mugabe reluctantly agreed to do some power sharing.

I like Obama, but agree he hasn't done much yet to show he deserves such an accolade. 'Showing promise' seems like a slim premise for awarding the prize. Sounds like the committee had few good choices this year.

Soon you can see the video on demand of the announcement, and get the answer as to why he got it.

So far, the committee are quoted: "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples".

Also, I see a lot of reference to "his vision of and work towards a world without nuclear weapons".

And from my own perspective, regarding the comments about the ongoing wars - well, he didn't start those wars. That was the former guy.

Best/T

Mr. Nixon did not either start the Vietnam War. That was some former guy too, Mr. Kennedy.

A significant technical point I'm not gonna spend a lot of time on--JFK opposed initiating a theater war in Vietnam, preferring a far lesser support role of sending 1,000 US military advisors to S Vietnam. Prez Johnson sent the first combat units per se to Vietnam. Kennedy didn't need an act of Congress to send advisors; Johnson's comittment was of such a scale--500,000 troops--he needed the approval of the Senate (and got it). Kennedy was right and Kennedy also was assassinated, clearing the way for Johnson.

Either way, the point stands that Nixon did not start the war. In fact, he ended it.

Well they have to give him some awards before someone shoots him for rocking the boat...lol

Do you suffer from Asperger's syndrome?

People with Asperger syndrome often display behavior, interests, and activities that are restricted and repetitive and are sometimes abnormally intense or focused. They may stick to inflexible routines, move in stereotyped and repetitive ways, or preoccupy themselves with parts of objects.

pot calling the kettle black....

News flash!

SARAH PALIN WINS NOBEL PRIZE FOR LITERATURE!!!

At the same time, and amazingly enough, the Pulitzer Prize for Literature went to Sarah Palin for her stated intention “to read a book someday.” The former Alaska governor was described as “floored” by the award, announced in Stockholm by nud_e Swedes beating themselves with birch branches, and insisted that while she was very busy right now, someday she would make good on her vow to read a book. “You’ll see,” she said from her winter home in San Diego.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postparti...itz_win_aw.html

Edited by Jingthing

Nobel PP trivia

Winner VP Dawes wrote the pop song "It's All in the Game."

The first female laureate was Baroness Berta von Suttner, who probably inspired Nobel to create a Peace Prize. She wrote Lay Down Your Arms before Lennon and McCartney.

First African-American laureate: Ralph Bunche.

Only declined by a Vietnamese Communist.

First two-time winner: International Red Cross, founded by the winner with a Bangkok street named for him.

Ahh. At last, a Thai connection. :)

Good point. The Thai red/yellas could learn a thing or two from the Obama/Clinton alliance.

xcuzme.

not a point, a joke. maybe i should had chosen a more funny funny kind of pictures to make that clear.

red/yellow thais could learn from Obama/Clinton alliance??? trying to say the third craziest thing in this thread?

Why? They were bitterly opposed and now they are working together for the good of the country, what's wrong with that?

If BO had any sense he would refuse it. Course we know that will never happen. :)

Though that it does seem to be the sentiment on many left-leaning (self-described "progressive") blogs in the US that he ought to turn it down.

Turn it down? That would be an even greater challenge to BO than feigning humility in accepting the award. He's really stuck.

Obama went to grade school in Indonesia and Indonesia is part of Asean, there's a connection. His chief economics dude Geithner is a product of Thai international schools.

Oh, I hoped that Geithner was LSE or Wharton. That is hardly a show of competence.

I read the headlines to friends over lunch and everyone (business lunch) was absolutely astonished. I heartily agree that in all fairness he should give it back claiming that "I haven't even started yet".

This is an award that cheapens every other that goes before it, and I am not in any way "Anti-Obama".

Geithner attended the Thai schools as a youth and of course later went on to higher education. DUH.

completed high school at the International School Bangkok.[5] He attended Dartmouth College, graduating with an A.B. in government and Asian studies in 1983.[6] In the process he studied Mandarin at Peking University in 1981 and at Beijing Normal University in 1982.[7] He earned an M.A. in international economics and East Asian studies from Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies in 1985.[6][8] He has studied Chinese[6] and Japanese.[9]
Edited by Jingthing

If BO had any sense he would refuse it. Course we know that will never happen. :)

Though that it does seem to be the sentiment on many left-leaning (self-described "progressive") blogs in the US that he ought to turn it down.

Turn it down? That would be an even greater challenge to BO than feigning humility in accepting the award. He's really stuck.

The easy out for Obama would be to send Joe Biden to accept the award on his behalf.

He also is a president and supreme commander of a nation that is actively waging war at least in two fronts !

yes, wars on two fronts started by what's -his -name again???

you know, the one - with his cronies - :) looking for weapons of mass destruction between saddam's two legs????

I think this probably is somewhat embarrassing to Obama to get the prize so early based on promise rather than deed. The satirists will be working overtime mocking him about this. However, it would be very bad form to refuse the prize, and there is no way that will happen.

Have to say that this just devalues the Nobel Peace Prize.

I've got no beef with the guy at all, but he hasn't really done anything yet to warrant this award.

Uff da, how can those crazy Svenskes devalue the prize any further than after having awarded the prize, or even just half the prize to Kissinger?

This is a laughable awarding and truly shows that the Nobel Peace Prize don't have, never has and never will, any place in the Nobel Awards family.

The only defense I can think of is that atleast the Peace Prize is actually handed out by a completely different organization and country(!) than the Nobel prizes for actual achievements.

I thought they aimed low when they gave it to Gore, but man...now doing nothing more than doing a couple a fancy speeches will get one the award...I am sure the winners of past year feel pretty silly now.

He also is a president and supreme commander of a nation that is actively waging war at least in two fronts !

yes, wars on two fronts started by what's -his -name again???

you know, the one - with his cronies - :) looking for weapons of mass destruction between saddam's two legs????

I hate those wars as much as anybody, and in fact whenever American/European soldiers are sacrificed. But give credit where credit is due: Saddam started the first altercation by invading Kuwait, and Osama Bin Laden started the conflict in Afghanistan by attacking the United States.