Bringing My Dog Back To Usa On Cathay

HenryP

I recently bought a pug puppy, and am planning on going back to the states on May 31st or so of this year. This gives me plenty of time to take care of rabies vaccination, health certificates and any other regulatory requirements imposed by the government, but I am distressed to find out that Cathay wont even allow a 2 kg dog to travel in the cabin, their rules state that all dogs must be shipped as cargo. Furthermore, I have to get a animal permit issued in Hong Kong even for a dog that will merely be in transit through Hong Kong! :o I have scoured the forum for relevant information but many questions remain.

Does anyone have any helpful information on the most efficient and least stressful method for me to bring my puppy back home with me? Has anyone flown Cathay with an animal and have first hand experience with the challenges associated with bringing a pet back to the states?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, my last resort is to just burn the darn 1st class ticket and rebook with Northwest or United although this would be a major sacrifice :D

I recently bought a pug puppy, and am planning on going back to the states on May 31st or so of this year.  This gives me plenty of time to take care of rabies vaccination, health certificates and any other regulatory requirements imposed by the government, but I am distressed to find out that Cathay wont even allow a 2 kg dog to travel in the cabin, their rules state that all dogs must be shipped as cargo.  Furthermore, I have to get a animal permit issued in Hong Kong even for a dog that will merely be in transit through Hong Kong! :o  I have scoured the forum for relevant information but many questions remain.

Does anyone have any helpful information on the most efficient and least stressful method for me to bring my puppy back home with me?  Has anyone flown Cathay with an animal and have first hand experience with the challenges associated with bringing a pet back to the states?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, my last resort is to just burn the darn 1st class ticket and rebook with Northwest or United although this would be a major sacrifice :D

Henry,

Check this thread :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28096&hl=

I wrote a whole writeup on importing/exporting dogs, wish the mods would have made a sticky. It'll answer all your questions.

If you have the option, forget about HongKong...reroute and transit through Narita, Japan. No bs paperwork needed...only uptodate health certificate and vaccinations needed. But confirm w/them again, as rules are always changing!

Cheers,

Thaiboxer1