Are you a newbie?

Do you feel inhibited about entering?

Please give us your feed back.

Thanks

Hi 'astral',

This is my feed back.

Lets see where it goes. :D

My two cents...

Photo challenge should be about capturing a moment in the camera as actual, not darkroom or software based manipulation.

If others want to have a digital retouching competition, go ahead.

Keep it simple and keep the challenges very Thai related (if you want to raise interest levels amongst the general TV membership).

More people would be interested in looking at photos of "clouds in Thailand" versus "clouds"

The rules are above as by 'bkkjames' and the normal rules.....

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. First one to post a photo than that is the topic. :)

Edited by Kan Win

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight out of the camera. Good luck deciding what the topic is....

Kan Win, you ask for comments, get a consensus, and then do something else! Is this instead of the "character" challenge, or as well as?

Edited by hughden

I think that you have post processed that to oblivion :)

Not so. Panasonic LX3, Dynamic Black and White mode. Produces lovely images. I suppose the theme is now "Thai Flowers".

I know that you didn't post process it Hughden and that you were proving a point, maybe pre-processing would be the correct term. I'm just wondering how and who is going to decide whether an image has been post processed or not.

Nice image btw :D

Edited by lordsux

By definition, if you shoot JPG, the image is being processed in the camera; and you select the settings to use. If you choose to shoot JPG, then it is part of learning to use your camera to understand how the various settings will impact the image. I really don't know why we are having this challenge when most people wanted to stick with a single challenge (which is currently "character"), especially as I don't see much evidence of over the top processing in Challenge submissions so far.

And yes, I was making a point....

My second entry is also from the Panasonic LX3. Shot in JPG, using a modified "Nostalgic" mode, no post processing apart from cropping.

post-3752-1255102285_thumb.jpg

Don't think the flower shot although beautiful is in the spirit of the thread based on the description above.

I think its more about capturing a moment in time i.e. a snapshot which anybody can take part in.

e.g I never intended this shot to be beautiful but couldn't resist capturing it.

In The Fast Lane

(I'm always amused by Thai driving habits) :)

inthefastlane2.jpg

Perhaps I misunderstood the concept of snapshot in this context. No problem, please ignore my submissions (Kan Win perhaps you could have my posts removed to avoid confusion).

Monkfish, is "In the Fast Lane" is the topic for this challenge?

I'm really losing the plot here

The idea that a "Snapshot Challenge" now titled "in the fast lane" is going

to suddenly attract lots of new "intimidated shy non confident photographers" is a farce

Only the "usual suspects " will be interested, at the expense of the original challenge

which will probably have even less participants now

The majority voted to leave things as they were so what happened to listening to

the members mr moderator ?

Initially I think a "snapshot challenge" is a good Idea.

But can it work parallel to the main challenge?

I think so there are already 2 other challenges running quiet well parallel to the main challenge.

(In fact pity the other challenges are dying out, probably cos they are running too long)

The new challenge could even give the main challenge new scope by not restricting the Themes in any way.

But it needs to be different enough to the main challenge and rules need to be different and thought out.

For example post processing, in my opinion should be allowed but limited to

that of which the average camera is capable of doing on board.

These could including: Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Sharpening, Contrast and Cropping.

What shouldn't be allowed are Studio Shots, Photo montage, HDRI and any physical editing of the original shot.

The most difficult part of such a challenge in my opinion will be the "Themes"

Apposed to the "Photo Challenge" where the winner gets to choose what they want I think we would

need to make a list of challenges which are suitable or the winner can submit a challenge to the moderator for approval.

The theme's would need to be Thai related and easy for everybody to take.

Example of themes that could work:

Transport

At the Market

Signs

Weather

Any shot

Make a thread where people can submit ideas and the mods can choose the most suitable.

These are just my thoughts this is an open forum and i have NO problem with the fact that other members

have a different opinions.

It seems to me that the idea of two challenges is to provide an opportunity for those not so adept at post processing to enter.

My thought here is how are these people ever going to learn if they don't "up the ante" ? (spelling/phraseology).

Most, if not all, images benefit from a degree of post processing. Cropping, levels, straightening horizons, colour enrichment/correction, sharpening etc. For instance, I ALWAYS over-expose to address noise in the shadows. Highlights can be recovered, removing noise is more difficult. As a result of this I never consider my RAW image as final and I expose with PP in mind.

By aspiring to and acquiring a level of PP expertise surely the spin off will be a better understanding of image making and exposure controls. Control of Blocked up shadows, blown highlights, converging verticals, all come to mind.

Software is cheap enough these days.

I would suggest that ONE challenge is enough BUT that the submissions should encompass the PP techniques applied so that others may see and benefit from the more experienced users.

That's how I learnt and how I'm still learning.

Hi Guys,

I am willing to give it a shot : )

I am new to (Photo) forrum.

Here is something that I think brought a good amount of smile today, from what I saw at least. 1st Photo This is a snapshot, unfortunatley the distance played a huge factor. 2nd Phot this is a snapshot, very little distance involved.All of these photos were taken very qucikly with a P&S method, if that is the correct languge to use.

1st Photo "USAF Thunderbirds", performing @ Don Meung Airport Bangkok, Thailand

(Picture taken zoomed all the way in)

2nd Photo "Wat Rhong Khun", located in Chiang Rai, Thailand

(Picture taken zoomed all the way out)

Both Photos Using the Camera indicated Below, On an AUTO setting.

Camera: Canon Powershot SD780 IS Digital Elph

Comments, oppinions wanted.

Don't worry I won't quit my day job : )

post-69968-1255175089_thumb.jpg

post-69968-1255175889_thumb.jpg

Edited by Newguy70

So in-camera manipulation is allowed?

Answer is below as 'hughden' posted. That mean NO

Straight out of the camera. Good luck deciding what the topic is....

Kan Win, you ask for comments, get a consensus, and then do something else! Is this instead of the "character" challenge, or as well as?

As well as. A rules change. You Kan post in both challenges as long as this one is

Straight out of the camera

and NO hanky panky folks :)

Yours as ever 'The Mod' that was a Mod in me younger days parker coat and all. :D

Perhaps I misunderstood the concept of snapshot in this context. No problem, please ignore my submissions (Kan Win perhaps you could have my posts removed to avoid confusion).

Monkfish, is "In the Fast Lane" is the topic for this challenge?

Sorry Kan not do this.

Please all read what I wrote

Kan Win :)

P.S. First one to post a photo then that is the topic.

:D

'hughden' tis yours :D

Thanking you all

Yours truly,

Kan Win

Not wishing to be pedantic (although I probably am), but you need to clarify the rules.

"In-camera processing" and "straight out of the camera" can both apply to a single JPG photo. It is normal to tweak the manufacturers default settings, for example to produce colour that satisfies your sensibilities. This is in-camera processing. Then you take the shot and it is then "straight out of the camera". Even beginners should be encouraged to play with the settings in the camera to experiment and see how things like saturation and contrast changes can effect a photo. This is how you learn.

Anyway, I have removed my Black and White shot on the grounds it may be considered "too much processing" even though it was done in camera and the resulting shot was straight out of the camera.

I still don't understand why we are having two challenges when most of the feedback you received was against the idea.....

Seems the new challenge has some teething problems, to be expected I guess.

Oh well all seems to be clear now so lets get on with it!

Don't mind having 2 challenges myself if I don't like 1 I can do the other or even both.

But think the difference should be made very clear to new users.

Flowers it is and here's a quick snap shot in the garden.

No flowers but a lemon tree with a flower and baby lemons,

to add a twist it was taken at night just after the storm. :)

lime1u.jpg

Nikon D 200

105mm

ISO 400

5 sec @ f22

This flower is meant to bring luck to people born on Tuesday. I am not able to put a name to it as we can't remember, but, I remember when we bought it it was for me because i was born on Tuesday. I have seen it bloom once in two years. I believe it is a native flower.

Olympus SP350

point and shoot no tripod

post-69690-1255272133_thumb.jpg

post-69690-1255272279_thumb.jpg

Edited by 69690jay

Sounds like an old polaroid contest... good to kill creativity through technical limitations.

Agreed - this thread is merely highlighting the benefit of post processing to produce a decent image.

Some of these flower shots look "promising" but remain bland in their "unfinished" state.

Edited by The Vulcan