What Do You Miss About Home, Or Don't?

Damien

I don't know if this has been done. I haven't had the chance to read everything on the site but i was wondering what people missed about home or what they don't miss........

Thanks......................................

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss my kids/grandkids/new great grandson, my DSL speed computer hookup, my 300+ channels of TV all in English, good pizza, good Philadelphia cheesesteak sandwiches, good Fuddrucker quality hamburgers, great Prime Rib dinners, Cracker Barrel breakfasts w/salt ham, grits & gravy, my stateside friends, Seaworld San Antonio, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, the Riverwalk (and it's 200+ restaurants), the San Antonio Spurs and all other NBA basketball games (instead of getting about one game/week at 5-6AM), watching 4 NFL games a week and getting all the scores of all other games in realtime, Sports Center, MLB games, again daily with real time scores for all games NOT shown on TV, bluebonnets in spring, family get togethers, being able to get my favorite U.S brands of everything, Walmart, using Mapquest to find any directions to anywhere in the U.S. whether it's accross town or accross the country, my Prime Care Manager, Dr. David Lopez, using the BX's, PX's, commissaries, getting all my medications free by just calling in or bringing prescriptions to the Wilford Hall Satellite Pharmacy at Lackland AFB, San Antonio in general.

What I don't miss:

Living in California and paying all the local, city, county, state AND Federal taxes which usually add up to 110% of what you make. Housing costs in California. Liberals in mass (California, Wash DC) (note: I moved to Texas to get free of high housing costs and state tax in California), the ALCU and other splinter groups, minorities changing laws the majority put in place for good reason, high utility bills,

high restaurant prices, American politics in general.

JMHO, don't kill the messenger;

Ken Bower

I don't know if this has been done. I haven't had the chance to read everything on the site but i was wondering what people missed about home or what they don't miss........

Thanks......................................

I miss all the great tasting food that I shouldn't be eating anyways. The last time I went back to the US I almost had a heart attack in the supermarket when I looked at the prices especially the prices of fruit.

I don't miss the taxes and VERY high housing costs, crazy insurance rates and the white whales who think all men are abusive and cheapskates. They should take a good look at themselves and ask themselves why men find Asian women so VERY attractive!

I DO miss all the little pieces of hardware available in the small hardware stores all over the US. To find quality hardware is really difficult. If it isn't cheap the Thai people won't buy it.

I'll just sacrifice and stay here! LOL!

Never had real good Mexican food in California, only in Yuma AZ and El Paso and San Antonio Texas....

Agree on the Public Libraries, sailing in SF Bay and espacially Redwood trees.

Don't guess there is a more beautiful place in the world than Muri Woods.

Ken Bower

ex Kalifornian

soon to be ex Texan

Good Mexican Food! 555

Public Libraries

Sailing on SF Bay.

Redwood trees.

That's about it!

The liberal masses in California. :o

OK, yeah I miss Carne Asada.

And Muir Woods is nice for walking around a little, but I'd never trade it for any of the national parks of the Sierra Nevada... the Winter silence and Spring roar of Yosemite is pretty special.

I guess I miss having an affordable, all-wheel drive, German sedan for getting to those mountains, too...

I miss my old mates, miss my family - especially the oldies who I might not see again, I miss following all four football leages instead of just the EPL, sometimes I miss a good old fashioned solid stool, I miss the daily Express coffee time crossword, I miss fancy dress parties, I miss Mark and Lard on Radio one, I miss going through the christmas tv and radio times and highlighting the programmes I want to watch but would invariably miss, I miss rummaging through second hand record shops, I miss good comedy and I miss my nan's apple pie and custard.

Everything else you can keep. :o

Good Mexican Food! 555

:o

...and Greek food and Cuban food and Polish food and stuffed spinach pizza and Swedish Fish and lemon drops and licorice and radio in general and National Public Radio in particular and NOW with Bill Moyers and Frontline and watching the Bears lose and watching the Bulls learn how to win again and the Art Institute and really good beer and really real cheese and junk store shopping and driving my car and hearing Spanish all the time and most of my guitars and all my friends and family.

Not much.

Libraries too.

Good one.

When in Thailand I miss:

-The mountains

-Canadian Beer

-The ocean

-Cable TV

-2.8mb adsl

-5 daily english papers

-Fishing

-The selection of Jazz & Blues clubs

-Cycling

-Rugby, hockey.

-Painted houses

-Timbits

-Coffee

-Good Mexican food

-Good beef

I don't miss:

-Junkies, potheads, beggers, people who live in luxury whining.

When in Canada I miss:

-Street stall food

-Outdoor markets everywhere

-Fighting my way through superhighway traffic.

-Cheap clothes, food, shoes, etc...

-22B for a big chang @wholesalers

-People watching on Thape Rd

-Outdoor Bars and night bazzars

-Sitting on the roof watching reckless takeoffs from Chaing Mai airport

-Soi dogs

-Going everywhere by motorcycle

-Buddhas

-Being able to fly somewhere for $30

-People who smile just because

I don't miss:

The walking ATM assumption

Whistles

cv

I've been to China!

Good to be back (although i'm still in China)

I'm still wondering about that "solid stool" line... :o

:D

Ever sat on those red or blue wobbily plastics ones at a roadside foodstall?

I've been to China!

Good to be back (although i'm still in China)

I'm still wondering about that "solid stool" line... :o

Ever sat on those red or blue wobbily plastics ones at a roadside foodstall?

Doh!!!

I never was too good at seeing the forest for the trees...

When in Thailand I miss:

-The mountains

-Canadian Beer

cv

I'd just add to that:

-Skiing at Whistler

-Rollerblading around Stanley park

I don't miss:

-Junkies, potheads, beggers, people who live in luxury whining.

cv

Couldn't have said it better!

Might add, any canucklehead using 'eh' after every sentence... :o

Edited by bahtandsold

What do i miss? hmmm. Lets see.

Worchester Sauce crisps

Family/mates

Pickled Onion crisps.

Scotch pies

Square sausage(steak slice for those who dont know it)

A decent Indian

Scottish football

Black pudding and decent bacon

Live music at Brixton Academy

Cant think of anything else.If anymore comes to mind then i'll post. What i dont miss is the shit weather.