Internet In Jomtien

Noddy1

I recently moved to Jomtien Condotel Village .

After waiting 3 weeks to get a phone connection

TT&T now tell me they cannot connect internet

due to some fault on the lines somewhere .

They told me to contact Cat Telecom , their

plans are twice as expensive as TT&T

Are their ant other options for broadband in

this area ???

It depends on how much you intend downloading. If you only want to check e-mails and browse the forums and newspapers, a mobile-phone based service should be fine (and cheap). If you're a megadownloader then you'll probably want a fixed line, in which case it looks like you'll be stuck with CAT.

I'm with True via an in-condo service (T-LAN) not far from you, and although it's expensive (2000 Baht/month) it has been very good the last few months (touch wood! :) ). Plus there are no download limits :D . On several Pattaya forums (including this one, I think), people have been complaining about TT&T recently, but it seems to depend on where in Pattaya you are located. Similarly there are reports that the CAT service - while expensive - can be excellent in some parts of town where they have laid new cables. I think there was a discussion on this topic a while back, and somebody said that he had CAT in North Pattaya, and it was good. You could visit their office on South Pattaya Road (near Third Road) and ask what the service is like where you are living. If it's good, it may be worth the extra money. If it stinks, then stick with a mobile service.

Here's the thread about CAT's service I mentioned - it's from a year ago and a lot can change in that time, so go and visit them:

Things to know...

Thanks Guys

Seems there is a issue with lines in this area , Cat cant do , TT & T cant do , TOT said maybe , need to get a tech to check , tech rang yesterday to ask where the house is , havent seen him yet , got a bill from them today for 107 baht :)

Doncha just love Thailand sometimes ?

Hi Noddy,

I had the same problem. I moved to a new Moo Baan 2 weeks ago and began a search for Internet providers and at the moment there arn't any. The only option that I had was to go for an internet dongle from Hutch. It cost 4900 Baht and i think 999 Baht a month for unlimited downloads. the contract is for 12 months. I am currently connected at 3.1 MBS which is fast enough for browsing, but I guess if your downloading movies etc it wont be suitable. There is a company called 3BB who will be covering this area with broadband later in the year so look out for them The Hutch dongle is quite a good substitute until then.

They have an office in Pattaya. cant remember the address, so ask around.

Cheers, Rick

• 1 month later...
If your surfing western websites - pay more for something that is stable and delive good international bandwidth instead of saving money and giving yourself grief and high blood pressure...

BIG 10-4 on above recommendation. Internet service providers (ISP) can have good speed one day/hour/minute and then the next have lousy speed-to-no connection...and they will always blame it on some technical problem within your residence, it's a problem affecting "all" internet connection in Thailand or it's some undersea line that a whale took a crap on. These are all too often their easy/they don't know answers.

And be sure to ask about User Ratio (i.e., how many users per ADSL connection) which can have a BIG, BIG impact on your internet speed, especially for surfing internet sites "outside" of Thailand/international web sites. Probably the best ratio you will find is 10 to 1...and the ratio can reach up to 50 to 1 like on TOT (a lower ratio is better).

Ask people living in your local area what ISP they use, how's the speed, and be sure to ask how their international website access/speed is 24/7. Speed can be great within Thailand but really suck to sites outside Thailand.

What phone/land line service you have will determine what ISP you can sign up with. Personally, I'm on a TOT line here in Bangkok and my ISP provider is JI-NET. I switched to JI-NET after slow/unreliable service from TOT. JI-NET provides a max of 2MB speed but it's very reliable 24/7 and provides solid international speed.

Good luck in your search...it can be very frustrating.

I've had CAT HiNet for almost 5 years in the Jomtien Thepprasit area. Likewise several friends, and all are reasonably happy with the service.

Advertised at 2/1 Mbps, it actually averages around 1.7 / .4 most of the time - sometimes faster. More than adequate for most users. Cost has dropped over the years from around B2900 to B1790 currently on a 12 month contract with a 13th month free. Additional discounts if you want to pay 50% or 100% up-front. No limits on downloads or anything else.

Don't accept the word of just anyone at CAT as to whether or not they can supply your area. They sometimes make mistakes ( TiT )

If you're seriously considering CAT and aren't getting encouraging info, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with a contact inside CAT who is very helpful and will find the definitive answer.