Shipping A A Scooter From Thailand To The Usa

colonel570

I would like to know how much shipping would cost of a Honda or similar scooter from thailand to the USA. I do not want people to tell me its expensive and I cannot affored it, I am looking for a number.

I know Scooters in Phuket are $8900 thb and up

Shipping to USA ???

Tax and tarrif ???

Total would be ???

Does anyone know a good shipping company?

What are the diffrences in the scooters in Thailand and the scooters in the USA? What are the EPA diffrences?

Thanks,

Ryan

Problems in the us could be

emission

lights not us approved and for left side driving

mirrors

braketest

kmh speedo

footrest without auto engine stop

smallest scooters here are 110cc, considered a motorbike in the us.

Since when are symmetrical lights on a motorcycle set up for right or left operations?  I'm going to assume you're talking about dual element headlights where one is for dipped operation and the other for high beam, but even then I don't know of any hard and fast rules.

A couple of more differences.  Reflectors, crash certification, EPA milage, etc.

Problems in the us could be

emission

lights not us approved and for left side driving

mirrors

braketest

kmh speedo

footrest without auto engine stop

smallest scooters here are 110cc, considered a motorbike in the us.

Since when are symmetrical lights on a motorcycle set up for right or left operations? I'm going to assume you're talking about dual element headlights where one is for dipped operation and the other for high beam, but even then I don't know of any hard and fast rules.

A couple of more differences. Reflectors, crash certification, EPA milage, etc.

Most bikes have asymetric lights, but when I think about I havent seen any scooter with asymetric except for my Yammy Tmax 500.

Really doesnt matter cause none of them have DOT approved lights anyway, so need to be replaced. If design is available in DOT spec

I used to work the other way, importing US trucks to Europe. What a nightmare to find E-approved lights and seatbelts. Had a container full of DOT lights when I sold the company.

Edited by katabeachbum

why not asking the friendly forum sponsor? :)

We had similar inquiries in the past and never did any shipment. The reason is given in the replies above, the first and biggest hurdle will be the US exhaust norm.

The same applies for shipping scooters to Europe. You won't get them licensed for road usage.

why not asking the friendly forum sponsor? :)

We had similar inquiries in the past and never did any shipment. The reason is given in the replies above, the first and biggest hurdle will be the US exhaust norm.

The same applies for shipping scooters to Europe. You won't get them licensed for road usage.

Just a thought, but, if the base model is the same (ie, frame) would it not be an idea to just export the plastics etc to the US? Then you would have a Thai stylie bike but on an already approved scoot in the US?

Just a thought

FF

Why do it yourself if Honda is going to do it for you. The newest Honda scooter the PCX is a 125cc fuel-injection scooter and it will be available around Christmas in the USA, some States it will probably be January before they have stock.

According to Honda production for this scooter is currently in full swing...

If you take the bike apart you can just ship it as parts and not a vehicle.

I know the engine must be removed from the frame for sure to do this.

I don't know much else about that.

Your big problem is legally riding it in the US.

Any bike that was never sold in the US will have a hard time being registered for street use.

You wont be able to get a valid license plate for it because the vehicle was never listed in the DMV system.

Unless the particular state you're going to send it to has some sort of gray market loophole you'd pretty much have to ride it illegally.

If you bought another US bike and just swapped the plates you'd probably never get caught.

US police don't take scooters seriously so they know nothing about them.

You could get a Nouvo Elegance and say its a US sold Zuma to a cop and he would never question it.

Good luck, its a risk, but I'd say minimal.

Good luck, its a risk, but I'd say minimal.

Until you're involved in an accident and the authorities discover what you've done... Then it will certainly be a problem.

True that, my bad.

Don't do it unless its a track/pit bike only.

Why do it yourself if Honda is going to do it for you. The newest Honda scooter the PCX is a 125cc fuel-injection scooter and it will be available around Christmas in the USA, some States it will probably be January before they have stock.

According to Honda production for this scooter is currently in full swing...

Are they producing both a 125 c.c. and a 150 c.c. Honda scooter for the U.S. market? I see a little online about a 125 c.c. model but I'm reading a lot about the 150 c.c. model I saw in Vietnam a couple of weeks ago. U.S. locations you can order the SH 150 i from And here's another article predicting the SH 150 i will be a marketing disaster in the U.S. for Honda because it will cost around $4500 and only has 150 c.c.'s. Prediction that the SH 150 I will be a U.S. marketing disaster for Honda

Looking at only the cubic-centimeters of a engine will historical tell not much about a future engine, that said... The Honda PCX 125i is new it so advanced in technology I would wonder if any other brands in Thailand will advance to that level within a year... Auto engine stop, shit (admin sorry there is no other word), you have not even the idea the engine is just turned off, and when you open the throttle the engine is there and you go and believe me you need to keep taps on the throttle to keep things safe.

After a few days ago, I looked into the SH150, asked questions and was told that the model was not intended to be a global product. To the latest Honda head office publication Honda Begins Production and Sales of All-new Scooter PCX in Thailand Honda will manufacture (and I know they busy now) the Honda PCX 125i in Thailand and will export it to the USA and European market.

Edited by Richard-BKK

"Why on earth would an average American shopping for two wheeled transportation pick this SH150i over something like a Kawasaki Ninja 250 which comes in at $500 less? They won't."

Wow, seems Honda has really lost the plot with this one...

Scooter and a motorbike two very different experiences.

"Why on earth would an average American shopping for two wheeled transportation pick this SH150i over something like a Kawasaki Ninja 250 which comes in at $500 less? They won't."

Wow, seems Honda has really lost the plot with this one...

Why has Yamaha succeeded in selling like 30 Tmax 500 auto in Phuket and g-d knows how many in LOS at 555.000 baht when a Kwaker 650 comes in at less than half the bucks?

No question there is a growing market for auto bikes, and I think in few years 1/3 of the less than 700cc market will be autos

Ryan, you know the Yamaha SR 500 single, made for 20 years?

It was sold in the U.S. and I wanted my limitewd edition with front drum brake in CA.

In a nutshell, NHTSA (?) requires a crash test which would destroy the bike.

They gave me a year... And shipping was cheap from near Hamburg to San Diego on a RoRo car boat.

But then the dock workers charged way more for the SD side etc.

Don't bother. Really, forget it!

Chris

You might want to think about shipping parts if the USA is where you want to ship. Thai motorcycles are not approved by both the EPA and the DOT.

I would like to know how much shipping would cost of a Honda or similar scooter from thailand to the USA. I do not want people to tell me its expensive and I cannot affored it, I am looking for a number.

I know Scooters in Phuket are $8900 thb and up

Shipping to USA ???

Tax and tarrif ???

Total would be ???

Does anyone know a good shipping company?

What are the diffrences in the scooters in Thailand and the scooters in the USA? What are the EPA diffrences?

Thanks,

Ryan

Thai motorcycles are not approved by both the EPA and the DOT.

Erm, that's not quite accurate. There are plenty of motorcycles and scooters made in Thailand for export to the US. Of course they meet EPA and DOT regs.

Export models to US are DOT spec. Thai sold bikes are usually not. Lights, mirrors, horn, engineswitch on footrest, warninglabels, you name it :)

Fortunately DOT spec is not needed in LOS, the DOT headlights are terrible, no chance to pass EU standard.

I donot know about US but Canada you would need to have meet all their requirements before you ccould register it. A few guys are buying Japanese mini vans and bringing them to Canada for hugh profits. Japan is the place to base this from. Fill a mini van up with bikes and try it. If nothing else sell the van and get your money back.

I know someone will ask can you register a right hand vehicle in Canada and the answer is yes. Lots of my friends import minis from england and friends have these Japanese mini vans.Great resale value also.