Npp Is In The Pad's Heart And Soul, Sondhi Says

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

NPP is in the PAD's heart and soul, they cannot be divided, Sondhi says

Published on October 12, 2009

Thaksin Shinawatra is no longer alone as an individual driving force behind a major political party. Now Sondhi Limthongkul has taken on the challenge of building his New Politics Party from the ground up, while continuing to inspire the People's Alliance for Democracy supporters. The new party leader talks to The Nation's Political Desk on his new role.

Why did you decide to enter politics despite having said you never would?

I was chased after for a long time by other People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leaders to help found a political party. I didn't want to join them because I didn't know how to fake [my feelings]. However, I asked them to recruit people who represented our principles - honest, dedicated, courageous, and capable of working. They suggested Maj General Chamlong Srimuang. I talked and tried to convince Chamlong many times. When we reached a conclusion we thought we should convene a general meeting to ask our PAD members whether or not we should found a party.

A glitch came when a key member commissioned a questionnaire asking who the members wanted to be leader of the New Politics Party (NPP). Seventy per cent chose me. Also, new pressure emerged on me when another key member singled out my name in the media as the must-be party leader. If the members had elected me and I had refused, they would have lost faith. So I considered this a spiritual connection between me and them and I had to let it go. In the meeting some candidates withdrew and some were not qualified.

But you did say that if ever you entered |politics, someone could slap your face with a shoe?

I never said that. I was talking about accepting a ministerial post but not as party leader. And I'm still holding on to that pledge even as I think a party leader is a home builder, who has to build and decorate a home to become a good model, with good morality, an outstanding home amid bad homes. I once said if the NPP won only one MP seat, but with a good politician, at least there could be hope that good politics would be built if we joined hands. If we can win 20-40 good politicians the party would grow strongly and with stability in the long term.

People always think I want to be a PM. In fact, the first three years would be a period for the party to lay the groundwork. If an untoward incident happened to me others would have to run the party.

Have you ever thought of becoming prime minister?

Never. The only thing in my heart is to build a strong political party. It is not necessary for a party leader to become a PM. I think we have the same ideology. For me, anyone can be a PM. As of now I won't accept any ministerial post because I have the duty to build the new party. However, it depends on the situation. Also I haven't decided yet whether to run in an election or not.

What would your model home be like?

It would be a home where everyone can stay. If anyone doesn't want to stay they will lose a good opportunity. Our home will be worthy and have fine qualities.

How do you divide the roles of PAD and the NPP?

PAD [represents] the first civil politics in Thai history and is growing gradually. The NPP is a tool of the PAD. The PAD owns the NPP. Four principles of the PAD [honesty, dedication, courage, and the ability to work] were channelled to the NPP. We have to realise the NPP is in the PAD's heart and soul. So, you cannot divide the PAD and the NPP as the NPP was born from the PAD. PAD will continue its role in civil politics while the NPP will focus on parliamentary politics. But when it comes to issues of major national interest, which need civil politics to move or show their stance, we [the NPP] are ready to join them. No damage will be done.

In fact, the Pheu Thai [belonging to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra] and the NPP are similar. Both parties have the masses at their base. That's the end of the similarity. The NPP has evolved from the masses while Pheu Thai was a political party first - and then through its financial power it managed to get support from the masses. So, confrontation developed between the two parties.

I believe the NPP will grow and I don't care how many MP seats we get in the next election. All I care about is creating balance in this country. Our party is a threat to every political party and those who have taken advantage of others; not only are we changing their lifestyle but also their ways of earning a living.

Will your NPP have an advantage over other parties as you still lead the PAD?

Is it wrong that I have the masses as my supporters? Currently, any vote in parliament is blocking votes, following orders from owners of parties.

How will your policies differ from the current policies of other political parties?

We will deliver on all our policies. We didn't write a thesis but we will identify the national crisis and provide a solution. Our policies have to reach and benefit people. In the past, politicians have always issued policies to facilitate themselves, not the people's interests. Populist policies are not wrong as long as the politicians don't issue them [merely] to get support from voters. But we are different. We do it in order to help people develop their lives.

Our rule is: MPs won't take ministerial posts in order to prevent conflict and factions in the party. We will retain those who have the capability to be ministers. However, I think we [NPP] may need two or three elections before we can become an administrative power.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/12