Pollution In Chiang Mai

retiredat50

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't consider my statements or questions ridiculous, and I don't consider them a misrepresentation.

You have only been a member here for about one week. We are talking about posts that were made several years ago. Don't take things so personally. No one is refering to your specific opinions. :)

That's odd. I'm looking at posts with today's date on, and comments made in reply to one of mine.

:D

You're referring to my comments. I said that your request for "reported respiratory illnesses in March" would not accomplish anything. More people get sick in the US and China in March than in July too. I could have nothing to do with pollution. And you keep saying that "two years ago was the worst year here in the last 12." Your memory is failing you. You lost a whole year of your life somewhere. I'm sure every member of TV who was here in March 2007 will agree that was the worst season in the last decade. this is exactly why personal observations and anecdotal evidence are meaningless. If I say that the air in CM today was the best air anywhere in the world, what is that statement/opinion worth?

The air is polluted in March. We all agree on that. Some think it's getting better, some worse. Is there anything we can do? Is there anything we should do? What have you done to make the situation better?

And you keep saying that "two years ago was the worst year here in the last 12." Your memory is failing you. You lost a whole year of your life somewhere. I'm sure every member of TV who was here in March 2007 will agree that was the worst season in the last decade.

I don't keep saying it at all. You are the one now turning it into an absolute. I was relating MY experience and MY opinion, and illustrated it with some observations, nothing more, nothing less. Why on earth is that so hard for you to accept?

Re-read my last post, and then perhaps you can offer something to the debate, other than trying to pull down other opinions and then feebly trying to back it with "I'm sure every member of TV..." etc.

Well I'm a member of TV. I was here in March 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009. And I don't think 2007 was the worst. So that's your absolute out of the window then.

If I say that the air in CM today was the best air anywhere in the world, what is that statement/opinion worth?

In itself, precisely squit. But if you offered your reasons, it would be something to discuss, wouldn't it?

The air is polluted in March. We all agree on that. Some think it's getting better, some worse. Is there anything we can do? Is there anything we should do? What have you done to make the situation better?

Three questions, and I will answer all three (speaking as a non-resident farang).

(1) In my experience, the only thing that would possibly have any effect is for tourists to write to TAT, local media, etc. and complain. It would need significant numbers to have a noticeable impact.

(2) Write to TAT, local media, etc. and complain.

(3) I write to TAT, local media, etc. and complain.

What the authorities should do is rent one of those big f*** off firefighting planes and go around dumping gallons of dye-stained piss on all the fires they see in protected areas.

Not going to happen though, is it.

:)

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Chicog,

At the risk of sounding like we're engaging in the sin of "advice" : a folly whose description by John Ruskin : "Advice is the worst form of vice;" we agree with ...

When you come on TV CM, this type of "visualisation" may be helpful : imagine a hard thick ridged, scaly, carapace forms over your soul : it is impervious to ridicule, the comments of people who diss your remarks for what they perceive as some aspect of your "character," bounce off it like tennis-balls off steel.

The comments of those who discount your personal experience and negate it, or claim it is irrelevant disappear as puff of smoke, and the comments of those who come to diss you in revenge for some fantasied wound they believe you have caused them : are reflected back so they return, as Shakespeare said : "bloody instructions, which being taught return to plague their inventors."

But, and this is important, also imagine this "carapace," this arachnoid armor-plating, as being perfectly permeable to any kindness, any attempt or effort to really undertstand, and, even if the attempt to understand you may be awkward or ill-expressed : still the "inner core" of genuine curiousity registers on you and inspires you. And, of course, this carapace is transparent to the words of those who challenge you from "love of wisdom," or a sincere desire to educate.

And now imagine you also have a powerful "sword" in your hand, a sword, to use Shelley's words that is : "a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it." But we'll call that sword not "Poetry" (which is what Shelley called it), but the "Sword of Righteous Wrath" that yearns for the taste of the blood of all enemies topped off with the screams of the innocent.

Of course, all that is just a warm-up exercise.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Chicog,

At the risk of sounding like we're engaging in the sin of "advice" : a folly whose description by John Ruskin : "Advice is the worst form of vice;" we agree with ...

When you come on TV CM, this type of "visualisation" may be helpful : imagine a hard thick ridged, scaly, carapace forms over your soul : it is impervious to ridicule, the comments of people who diss your remarks for what they perceive as some aspect of your "character," bounce off it like tennis-balls off steel.

The comments of those who discount your personal experience and negate it, or claim it is irrelevant disappear as puff of smoke, and the comments of those who come to diss you in revenge for some fantasied wound they believe you have caused them : are reflected back so they return, as Shakespeare said : "bloody instructions, which being taught return to plague their inventors."

But, and this is important, also imagine this "carapace," this arachnoid armor-plating, as being perfectly permeable to any kindness, any attempt or effort to really undertstand, and, even if the attempt to understand you may be awkward or ill-expressed : still the "inner core" of genuine curiousity registers on you and inspires you. And, of course, this carapace is transparent to the words of those who challenge you from "love of wisdom," or a sincere desire to educate.

And now imagine you also have a powerful "sword" in your hand, a sword, to use Shelley's words that is : "a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it." But we'll call that sword not "Poetry" (which is what Shelley called it), but the "Sword of Righteous Wrath" that yearns for the taste of the blood of all enemies topped off with the screams of the innocent.

Of course, all that is just a warm-up exercise.

best, ~o:37;

In other words: dress for a gunfight, but come as Jesus?

T