Importing Goods Into Thailand

nickjam

Hey All

I'm trying to get the lowdown on importing into Thailand as a foreigner. I'm looking to import a product that will be re-sold within Thailand. My understanding is, is that it's possible if you have a registered business. I believe I may require a special imports license?!?! I'm wondering if it's even worth all the hassle to do this myself and use a Thai import agent instead (anyone know their likely fees?). I've been on the Thai customs website and my product should fall within the 20% tax range although that website site needs some serious updating and clarification of the rules. Is there an office in Bangkok that can advise potential importers?

Someone told me a scary rumor the other day that farang business start ups know require 4 million instead of 2 million baht. He's a pretty reliable source but I was still loathe to believe him. Anyone heard anything?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

As a foreign national, it is possible to import goods under your own name. You will need to register for paperless customs processing (any forwarder can do this for you), this only needs to be done the first time you import goods.

You will need to give your forwarder a copy of your passport (picture page, visa page & latest entry stamp), your local address and contact number. The process only takes 1 business day. (if you later open a company, you will need to register the company if you would like to import under the company's name.

Whether or not an import permit is required will depend upon the commodity that you plan to import. Many types of import permits can only be applied for under a company's name, but many products do not require an import permit.

I would advise contacting a freight forwarder to confirm the estimated import duty, import permit regs & to arrange for registration for paperless customs processing.

What Raro says is true... a foreigner will need a Work Permit to Work in Thailand.

You will not need to show your work permit to Customs to register to import (under personal name) or to clear the goods once they arrive, but if you are found to be working in Thailand without a work permit you will need to answer to the Labor Department.

Currently, I do not believe their is any cross communication between customs and labor ministries, but no one ever knows about the future...

• 4 months later...

Also remember that imports attract customs duty and VAT (on the products, customs + shipping). Depending on what you import you can expect at least a little bit of hassle from the customs guys from time to time trying it on.