Electric Bikes Have Arrived

Nipped into Nathon to get some ink for the printer and the shop I get it from in Nathon also does remote heicopters and planes and cars etc. He had just taken delivery of some eletric scooters. They look very much like the Honda Click. Supposedly do around the 45-50 kph and are good for around the 60-70 km per charge.I am going back tomorrow to have a test ride. They are selling at 20,000 baht so may be a good little replacement for the petrol bike if they cut the mustard. I will post a report after the test ride :)

Look forward to the results of the test ride!

OK. Someone has to ask the question. It may as well be me. :)

But how do you charge these things? Plug them into the wall socket and take out the power supply to north Samui? Or do you have to have a special charging kit/adaptor/transformer/long extension cable?

That must be costly if your landlord charge 7-8 baht per unit for the electric as usual in Samui :)

But it would be good if they give a free solar charger with it...

You get supplied with a special helmet incorporating a solar panel, which is in turn hooked into the battery,so you have constant supply.

I might patent this idea :D

Nipped into Nathon to get some ink for the printer and the shop I get it from in Nathon also does remote heicopters and planes and cars etc. He had just taken delivery of some eletric scooters. They look very much like the Honda Click. Supposedly do around the 45-50 kph and are good for around the 60-70 km per charge.I am going back tomorrow to have a test ride. They are selling at 20,000 baht so may be a good little replacement for the petrol bike if they cut the mustard. I will post a report after the test ride :)

I doubt many Thais will buy them. Too slow, can't do wheelies, don't make enough noise or smoke, have lights that work and cannot get 6 people on them.

Second thoughts, they may buy them if they are road tax, insurance and driving licence free!!!! :D

That must be costly if your landlord charge 7-8 baht per unit for the electric as usual in Samui :D

You get supplied with a special helmet incorporating a solar panel, which is in turn hooked into the battery,so you have constant supply.

Good idea Rooo, but who wears helmets? :)

That must be costly if your landlord charge 7-8 baht per unit for the electric as usual in Samui :D

Good idea Rooo, but who wears helmets? :)

Exactly :D You can't start the bike if you are not wearing the charger/helmet good safety feature.But knowing Samui, they would probably strap the helmet to the handle bars or the basket .

Good idea Rooo, but who wears helmets? :D

Exactly :D You can't start the bike if you are not wearing the charger/helmet good safety feature.But knowing Samui, they would probably strap the helmet to the handle bars or the basket .

I like it! :D , a remote connection between battery/ignition and helmet is a great idea!!

Added bonus might be that if somebody wants to nick your bike they would have to nick your helmet to? (not so easy)

For added safety you could incorporate a brethalizer that disables the battery if you dont pass?

I guess folk would just get a sober friend to blow into it, pop the helmet in the basket and carry on but at least it might make it trickier for people to hop on a bike pissed without a second thought? :)

I doubt many Thais will buy them. Too slow, can't do wheelies, don't make enough noise or smoke, have lights that work and cannot get 6 people on them.

Second thoughts, they may buy them if they are road tax, insurance and driving licence free!!!! :D

:D

I was riding my bicycle along the Mekong in upper Issan when I came across an old granny riding a Panasonic electric scooter/bicycle (with pedals for extra zip or when the battery goes dead). She was on her way to the paddy and stopped into the shop for some snacks. Her bike looked pretty snazzy, with mean looking front fork shocks, red paint and racing trims. She claimed the thing goes up to 40km/hr and 60km on a full charge. I tried to trade my tandem push bike for hers, but she wouldn't have it :)

On another note, a former neighbor of mine who sold electric bicycles, the pretty cheap looking ones, accidentally burned down his house. Apparently, the battery charger and all the batteries he was charging daily had a little sparky mishap. It took down his wooden house and 4 more houses next to him.

that's half the price of a gas bike, what a great deal. is it made by Honda? can you post a picture of it?

according to technical information, the maximum load supported by the bike is 100kg so can't test it with two people on it....

this is Thailand, when did that ever stop anybody. load that puppy up, 2 adults, 2 kids, a couple of chickens and fridge.

20k baht wouldn't even cover the cost for good lithium Ion Batterries of 48 volts @ 50 ah, allowing 200 amp burst.

I'm pretty sure they are using sealed lead acid batteries. When someone can bring lithium ion batteries with a complete bike, then it's time to get excited.

I left Samui 5 years ago and now live in HCMC, Vietnam. There are electric bikes everywhere her. Click on the link to read an interesting article about electric bikes in Hanoi in 2003. Things Asian

I can't believe they've just arrived there. Talk about backward.

20k baht wouldn't even cover the cost for good lithium Ion Batterries of 48 volts @ 50 ah, allowing 200 amp burst.

I'm pretty sure they are using sealed lead acid batteries. When someone can bring lithium ion batteries with a complete bike, then it's time to get excited.

but the average trip on Samui or KPN is probably about 10-20km. i could live with something with a short range and longish charge time and use a conventional bike for longer trips.

Well, yes exactly. Which is why I wondered if a DL was required. :D

Was Driving Licence for a moto-bike ever required? Maybe from Farang but for Thais is like .. Hahahaha

It is when they set up their monthly road blocks :)

Nearly a week later and no report back from Dunc........

mzybd hd has bought an electric bike and escaped into the sun after a high complex bank job. would an elecrtic bike make a good get away veichele

That must be the longest test drive in history :D

Please do steve, I'd be interested myself. Also would be interesting to know if they require a DL, as I have heard that the little 50cc bikes don't.

Ok,, what happens 'legally' if a 50 cc bike causes a deathly accident, surely they cannot be insured either??