Tourist Visa Or Permanent Residency Request ...

I am wondering which of the 2 I should apply for: a 2 months tourist visa or permanency, sponsoring her?

We got married in LOS after a 3 years relationship during which we lived together for an aggregate amount of 1.5 y. (on and off). She has acquired my surname. We have evidence of our relationship by way of pictures and correspondence. She has been working for 4 years in the tourism industry and has a university degree in that field. She works on a contract basis. She bought a new car this year, which she has started to make payment on. She intents to use it to decrease her dependency on contracts/individuals by getting other jobs that necessitate a car and increase her ability to weather low season idling time. We live in an apartment for which she has a yearly contract for and has had for a couple of years now. She might not have a lot of money in her bank account due to the fact she is making car payment and times are tougher in the tourist industry at this time, but I could help a little! I have and she has no intention of staying abroad. The purpose of the visit would be to meet parents and visit. If it can be done, we might be able to organize and have a ceremony. I work abroad for 5 months and then go back to LOS. I have done this for the last 3 years. I have a condo abroad, all paid for. I have a contract to work abroad part-time for the next 2 years, in the same manner that has occurred in the past. We have not had any official ceremony in LOS or abroad. It is difficult to organize the ceremony in LOS at this time because she might be required to work, she might not have the time to get things ready (work contracts are 3 or 4 days long/ 15 hours long, and often back to back), and I am leaving in less than 3 months. It could take place, but it might be hard to pull off. Maybe we could do something smaller here in LOS.

I was suggested by the consul to apply for both. I fear that this might not look good as we want to live in LOS and not abroad. Of course, permanency might help whenever she wants to visit, saving us to do the paperwork every time. I think it might be wise to request permanency the 2nd time she comes abroad.

I am aware of the list of requirements for visa and permanency procedures. I will of course provide the necessary evidence to establish our relationship. She will show that she has assets in LOS (car).

I would pay for her 2 way ticket. Should I buy it with cancellation provisions in case the visa does not go through, with the idea that supplying this evidence will help establishing that she will leave after 2 months?

Should I apply for both the visa and the permanency or just the visa?

Should I seek advice from a lawyer?

What do you suggest?

I am wondering which of the 2 I should apply for: a 2 months tourist visa or permanency, sponsoring her?

We got married in LOS after a 3 years relationship during which we lived together for an aggregate amount of 1.5 y. (on and off). She has acquired my surname. We have evidence of our relationship by way of pictures and correspondence. She has been working for 4 years in the tourism industry and has a university degree in that field. She works on a contract basis. She bought a new car this year, which she has started to make payment on. She intents to use it to decrease her dependency on contracts/individuals by getting other jobs that necessitate a car and increase her ability to weather low season idling time. We live in an apartment for which she has a yearly contract for and has had for a couple of years now. She might not have a lot of money in her bank account due to the fact she is making car payment and times are tougher in the tourist industry at this time, but I could help a little! I have and she has no intention of staying abroad. The purpose of the visit would be to meet parents and visit. If it can be done, we might be able to organize and have a ceremony. I work abroad for 5 months and then go back to LOS. I have done this for the last 3 years. I have a condo abroad, all paid for. I have a contract to work abroad part-time for the next 2 years, in the same manner that has occurred in the past. We have not had any official ceremony in LOS or abroad. It is difficult to organize the ceremony in LOS at this time because she might be required to work, she might not have the time to get things ready (work contracts are 3 or 4 days long/ 15 hours long, and often back to back), and I am leaving in less than 3 months. It could take place, but it might be hard to pull off. Maybe we could do something smaller here in LOS.

I was suggested by the consul to apply for both. I fear that this might not look good as we want to live in LOS and not abroad. Of course, permanency might help whenever she wants to visit, saving us to do the paperwork every time. I think it might be wise to request permanency the 2nd time she comes abroad.

I am aware of the list of requirements for visa and permanency procedures. I will of course provide the necessary evidence to establish our relationship. She will show that she has assets in LOS (car).

I would pay for her 2 way ticket. Should I buy it with cancellation provisions in case the visa does not go through, with the idea that supplying this evidence will help establishing that she will leave after 2 months?

Should I apply for both the visa and the permanency or just the visa?

Should I seek advice from a lawyer?

What do you suggest?

So, you are not married, correct?

Intend to go to what country? U.S.? UK? Oz? NZ? Canada? Other?

Mac

To gain ILE the UK you must prove a relationship has been subsisting for 4 years or more etc.

And she has not passed the KOL requirement so a tourist visa is all that's required ?

Should this be a UK application please advise.

3.5 y. when she will set foot on Canadian soil, if she can! One would hope there is some leeway with this apparent rule, which, I would not be surprised, prevails in other countries, although I have read nothing of the sort!

Thanks.

Edited by rethaired

Different countries have different rules and procedures. Not saying in your OP which country you want to apply to means that you will receive confusing replies covering many countries, or no replies at all.

The ILE and 4 year qualifying period TVE refers to is a type of settlement visa to the UK.

I have no idea of visa requirements for Canada.

Mac

I am.

Canada.

Ah, this is what confused me: "We have not had any official ceremony in LOS or abroad."

From that I inferred that you had not "registered" a marriage at your local amphur.

Don't know about Canada but it's sometimes more difficult to get a tourist visa to the U.S. if you're married. The automatic assumption is that you're just trying to jump the queue and have your spouse "adjust status" when he/she gets to the States. The last time my wife got a 10-year tourist visa I was the one who was mainly interview, turned out to be pretty easy as my passport shows a good series of Thai retirement extensions here.

Canada, don't know, below from the Canadian Embassy Bangkok www site.

Mac

Canadian Embassy Bangkok visa page here:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thail...id=3&menu=L

Non-Immigrat visa info here (not very informative it seems):

Immigrant visa info here:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thail...n.aspx?lang=eng

Note: The visa section of the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok does not accept applications for immigration to Canada. The application for permanent residence in Canada are processed by the Regional Processing Centre at the Canadian High Commission in Singapore:

CANADIAN HIGH COMMISSION

Immigration Section

Robinson Road,

P.O. Box 845

SINGAPORE 901645

Fax : (65) 325 3291

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mac

I am.

Canada.

Ah, this is what confused me: "We have not had any official ceremony in LOS or abroad."

From that I inferred that you had not "registered" a marriage at your local amphur.

Don't know about Canada but it's sometimes more difficult to get a tourist visa to the U.S. if you're married. The automatic assumption is that you're just trying to jump the queue and have your spouse "adjust status" when he/she gets to the States. The last time my wife got a 10-year tourist visa I was the one who was mainly interview, turned out to be pretty easy as my passport shows a good series of Thai retirement extensions here.

Canada, don't know, below from the Canadian Embassy Bangkok www site.

Mac

Canadian Embassy Bangkok visa page here:

Non-Immigrat visa info here (not very informative it seems):

Immigrant visa info here:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thail...n.aspx?lang=eng

Note: The visa section of the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok does not accept applications for immigration to Canada. The application for permanent residence in Canada are processed by the Regional Processing Centre at the Canadian High Commission in Singapore:

CANADIAN HIGH COMMISSION

Immigration Section

Robinson Road,

P.O. Box 845

SINGAPORE 901645

Fax : (65) 325 3291

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for all the help!

I will look into it, but I have the feeling that I should go for the temporary visa option. Maybe requesting residency might confuse them. The $550 for residency (plus all translations) is not cheap compare to the $75 for a visa. Of course, there are some advantages, but I might lose my residency if I start staying in LOS for more than 6 months (not likely) and she might not be able to keep hers (as she is not likely to stay more than 5 months a year in Canada. She probably could work in Canada, but leaving after 5 months might not show well on a resume.

Edited by rethaired

Thanks for all the help!

I will look into it, but I have the feeling that I should go for the temporary visa option. Maybe requesting residency might confuse them. The $550 for residency (plus all translations) is not cheap compare to the $75 for a visa. Of course, there are some advantages, but I might lose my residency if I start staying in LOS for more than 6 months (not likely) and she might not be able to keep hers (as she is not likely to stay more than 5 months a year in Canada. She probably could work in Canada, but leaving after 5 months might not show well on a resume.

After carefully rereading the pages from the Canadian embassy on visas, it is quite clear that one needs to apply for a temporary resident visa if one is a Thai citizen! This is very complicated as the name implies that you want to be a resident! Very confusing!

Edited by rethaired

Thanks for all the help!

After carefully rereading the pages from the Canadian embassy on visas, it is quite clear that one needs to apply for a temporary resident visa if one is a Thai citizen! This is very complicated as the name implies that you want to be a resident! Very confusing!

The more I read about this, the more I get really angry! Who has created these names must have had his or her dad sponsor them to get that job! We know how fearful the Canadian government is about people staying in Canada while visiting Canada. Why, o why, do they call this temporary RESIDENT visa? If you got to Canada, you are a visitor, not a temporary resident. If they want you to be a resident, you better have all the right of residency. But, of course, you don't! You do have, of course, all the responsibilities. Anyway, I am not too sure how other countries call their visas, but Canada I think takes the cake for choosing inappropriate names, I think.