Villa Market

wilsongbrown

Villa Market's wine selection is fabulous and available all day. However, every other of their products are incredibly overpriced. Including their godawful bread. Having passed on a whopping six quid for a loaf of wholemeal, decided to just grab an ordinary bog standard baguette to make some garlic bread. It's loaded with sugar. I mean really really sweet, like they'd forgone the egg glaze for a sugar one - bloody awful.

I used to go to that nice young German guy's bakery on the Vichit Road, just before the turn into Sai Yuan. He used to close on a Wednesday, which I always thought odd, most places take their day off on a Monday or perhaps Tuesday. However, he'd closed for a few days whilst some new concrete was being laid outside his shop. Having then re-opened with all banners flying, he'd closed yet again and I've given up having to park on Sai Yuan Road and then walk to his bakery, forgoing a u-turn on the highway to hel_l that is Vichit Road. Shame as I think he made the best and most reasonably priced bread in the area.

As an aside, I see a lot of farang businessmen wannabes here complaining about how difficult it is, and have seen many come and go. Most of the time their businesses fail because they're not committed enough. Notwithstanding necessary repairs to the premises, a customer might be put out by the business not bothering to open one day, but won't go back a second and certainly not a third. I don't know why they do this, Bruno's is open each and every single day, despite his having been in poor health in the past.

Also, in the interests of balance, if any Thai businessman - in this case a nam prik outlet on one of the talad nats here doesn't bother to wash his hands after going to the lavatory, thus infecting all of his long standing clientele with the runs for at least the ensuing week, who would be willing to play russian roulette and revisit his stall/restaurant in the hopes that he or his staff remembered the next time?

Edited by wilsongbrown

The British International School has its own bakery which will make bread to order. Alternatively you can go in and choose what you want in the shop onsite, although im not sure exactly where it is. Prices range from about 100 - 120 baht per loaf.

I can testify that its great bread!

You cannot compare the bread in Villa with bigger places like Carrefor, Big C, and Lotus as they have in-store bakeries. When Villa first opened the bread choice was even more dismal than now. At least these days they have stock from 'The Bakery' which is not too bad for a Thai bakery. I've even started to buy some of their bread products as the price is not too bad and the bread is not so sweet (like many Thai operated bakeries).

Hallo, just been to Robinsons in Phuket Town and at their bakery shop they offer a German Rye Bread. Really big piece (obviously a quarter of a huge round loaf). Price absolutely reasonable at THB 75.

Wonder if anybody knows where the bakery is located. I don't presume that Robinson has it's own bakery.

The British International School has its own bakery which will make bread to order. Alternatively you can go in and choose what you want in the shop onsite, although im not sure exactly where it is. Prices range from about 100 - 120 baht per loaf.

I can testify that its great bread!

Crivvens, Sir, at nearly £2.50 a loaf I’d want the finest bread loaf known to humanity. The worst type of bread has got to be the small white cut loaves that are bought in by hotels/guesthouses to torture their long suffering patrons. Lovingly formed from sawdust and plasticine I reckon... :)

6 Quid for a loaf of bread ...for that I would expect Bed and Breakfast....?????

Generally buy the stuff late night after fallng out the Dogs B ( Bulls H) at 1-30 am before getting a taxi home and find Villa pretty good....and quiet.

Bags and rolls maybe a little bit stale but when reduced from the silly high prices to around 15 or 20 Bt...No prob.

Back in the Bann chuck em in the old Micro W and whack in a bit of emmential,Tom slices,Onions,cucumber touch of salt and wash down with a last.... late night BIG ice cold Heinee...and maybe read the Pattaya Mail.....just like "ome init...

Hallo, just been to Robinsons in Phuket Town and at their bakery shop they offer a German Rye Bread. Really big piece (obviously a quarter of a huge round loaf). Price absolutely reasonable at THB 75.

Wonder if anybody knows where the bakery is located. I don't presume that Robinson has it's own bakery.

The same cut quarter loaves are in Tops.,Central.

I buy flour and yeast in Tesco or Big C, and bake my my own bread 3 times a week in one of those wonderful automatic machines, around 40-50 baht for a 500 gram loaf, and NOT sweet.

Very simple, chuck in all the ingredients, close the machine, switch on the timer, rise and shine and enjoy freshly baked bread.

Edited by hansnl

I buy flour and yeast in Tesco or Big C, and bake my my own bread 3 times a week in one of those wonderful automatic machines, around 40-50 baht for a 500 gram loaf, and NOT sweet.

Very simple, chuck in all the ingredients, close the machine, switch on the timer, rise and shine and enjoy freshly baked bread.

:) I do the same

The Missus went to a local school in the boons and was taught how to bake bread, cake and biscuits(cookies), any recipe.

She uses ordinary electric oven.

Luvleyjubley!

Home was never like this!!

Please name and shine this wonderful automatic machines. :D

Thanking you. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Bread is one of the reasons westerners are fatter than most Thais (in general)

But, this thread is sure getting me hungry.

And those bread machines seem like the perfect answer.

Quality in shops in Phuket has been too inconsistent.

Definately one of my biggest downfalls, along with, potatoes, pasta, rice, chocolate, burgers, beer.....The list goes on :)

Bread is one of the reasons westerners are fatter than most Thais (in general)

But, this thread is sure getting me hungry.

And those bread machines seem like the perfect answer.

Quality in shops in Phuket has been too inconsistent.

According to WHO only american kids are fatter than thai kids.

Thai kids dont eat much bread.

So this isnt just a bread oven, it does all the mixing kneading rising etc ??

I have no interest in breadmaking.. But if its idiot proof to have fresh home made bread I am all ears.

Hi

Its good, i have one, use it all the time, just so nice bread, i use milk not water bread its more fluffy, luv it

you can buy the bread mix as well, cost around 120B but if you make it yourself its very cheap..

i got the 3983

http://www.severin.com/products/cooking/breadmaker/bm-3983_1

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Bread/Bread-Machine/Main.aspx

Forgot: just toss everything in and forget about it, next thing is a nice smell and you have fresh bread.

Edited by HDRIDER

So let me just confirm.. I chuck in the ingredients, press some buttons, and a few hours later I have home cooked bread ?? No mess, fuss, kneading or 'kitchen work' ??

I can see one of those in my future !!

EDIT :: Just saw your edit :) !! Thanks.

Edited by LivinLOS

So let me just confirm.. I chuck in the ingredients, press some buttons, and a few hours later I have home cooked bread ?? No mess, fuss, kneading or 'kitchen work' ??

EDIT :: Just saw your edit :D !! Thanks.

Yes chuck it all in and press the button you can bake all types of breads and you can use it

to make doughs for pizza and so on :)

EDIT :: Just saw your edit :D !! Thanks.

Yes chuck it all in and press the button you can bake all types of breads and you can use it

to make doughs for pizza and so on :)

I had my first breadbakingmachine in 1989 (yeea thats 20 years ago :D ). It was good for white bread but failed on other breads like one out of three times. have they become real bulletproof by now?