Thailand To India

WaiWai

I recall some members posting here who had moved from Goa (I think) to Chiang Mai. My search failed to locate their messages. They seemed unhappy with India/Goa and I'd like to know why. I have visited India a few times, so have a rough idea of living conditions there.

I have done some snooping on the internet but am still unclear which visa (if any) might allow a person to legally work from home, via internet?

Any thoughts on the best place to start out, before selecting an area in which to live?

Thanks, and miscellaneous comments also welcome.

I recall some members posting here who had moved from Goa (I think) to Chiang Mai. My search failed to locate their messages. They seemed unhappy with India/Goa and I'd like to know why. I have visited India a few times, so have a rough idea of living conditions there.

I have done some snooping on the internet but am still unclear which visa (if any) might allow a person to legally work from home, via internet?

Any thoughts on the best place to start out, before selecting an area in which to live?

What exactly are you asking?

Its not frickin Vancouver man.. .

right hand = eat chapati

left hand = wipe ass

everything else is just india. . . .

Do India not have an expat forum? It's quite a large country. Maybe you should try and find out information from expats in India.

Unless you are talking about working from 'home' meaning Thailand?

Your message is a bit vague.

we can probably answer any question he has, but his questions like you said are a bit vague....

the india expat forum is called "india mike" and its a bit hit or miss.

Yes, there are forums and websites for expats in India.

However, I specifically recall that a person posted on this forum after moving to Chiang Mai from India (Goa, so far as I recall). I am trying to locate this person (it may have been a couple) in order to see what comparisons they might draw between the two places and what it was, exactly, that caused them to leave India.

It also occurred to me that there may be others who could offer comparisons between life as an expat in the two places.

Does that help?

The info about visas for expats in India should, of course, be available somewhere online. It's just always interesting to hear of personal experiences.

Just put Goa in the search engine and you will find him quickly, about the 4th topic on the search he is asking the difference between September and October!!! His name is Raybona and I think you two will hit it off just fantastic. Do you need a map too?

Just put Goa in the search engine and you will find him quickly, about the 4th topic on the search he is asking the difference between September and October!!! His name is Raybona and I think you two will hit it off just fantastic. Do you need a map too?

Thanks for the helpful part, Bill97 :) .

Yes, there are forums and websites for expats in India.

However, I specifically recall that a person posted on this forum after moving to Chiang Mai from India (Goa, so far as I recall). I am trying to locate this person (it may have been a couple) in order to see what comparisons they might draw between the two places and what it was, exactly, that caused them to leave India.

It also occurred to me that there may be others who could offer comparisons between life as an expat in the two places.

Does that help?

The info about visas for expats in India should, of course, be available somewhere online. It's just always interesting to hear of personal experiences.

apples and pears. there could not be a bigger difference between the two.

Care to elaborate a little on the differences between the fruits, garycm :) ?

in india after you put mayonnaise on your hot dog, it surprisingly smells like curry and you may have mustache burn to boot... ...

so like we said earlier in the thread, you really cant compare the two.....

only fakirs and freaks go to india and they generally are well aware of what they are getting into, whereas any old bloke can land in BKK and make his way just fine....

I have lived in Chiang Mai longer than India, but I still feel safe to say life is much easier here. However, that is not to say you cannot live happily there, but it all depends on you. In my experience, Indian's have this amazing ability to read people. If they read you are disgusted by their country, they will react negatively (but very subtly). If they read you are open to learning about their amazingly rich culture, then you will be hosted better there than anywhere else in the world. Fortunately, my experience was the latter case because I was there to conduct graduate level research on the impacts of a water resources development project on marginalized people (tribal and lower caste) which helped shape my attitude.

I have also lived and traveled around East Africa and a handful of other developing countries around the world and will always say that India was the most intense experience on every level. It is crowded, dirty and the probability for getting scammed is high. But it is also colorful, interesting and again, some people of the people I met there are among my favorite interactions.

As for logistics, I noticed that many regions have very bad problems with consistent electricity and water. All resources are stretched thin among the world's second largest population as you can imagine. If you work from home, I am assume electricity is important to you so look into that since some regions are better than others (like in government or international IT company areas). While I welcomed the break from computer work at the NGO I did my internship at, I had to exit the building as soon as it went off because the heat was unlike any other I have experienced (monsoon season). Not that I am an aircon addict, but I hardly came across them there (could also have to do with electricity availability).

While I actually enjoy the very sweet Indian Chai that is available and offered everywhere, I did miss the coffee culture since I am an absolute coffee addict (another reason I love life in Chiang Mai).

Honestly, life in Thailand is cake, even compared to my home country, but certainly compared to India. But other things make up for it there.

I am not sure if this was helpful to you, but if it was and you would like to continue the conversation feel free to PM me.

I'd also like to add that it is a very conservative culture, which means that keeping up family appearances is of the utmost importance and that can somehow impact you. Of course people drink alcohol there, but it is subtle and hidden from people who's families do not accept it (which in my experience was many). In major cities, there are endless clubs and bars but I hardly went. If you like meat, this is not the place for you, but again it is available everywhere. If you are a single white man, then you might get a bit frustrated with the complete lack of access you have to the stunningly beautiful and intelligent Indian women. If you are a single white women, you better watch your back because Indian men will hunt you like no other place. Either way, they don't even come close to the way Thai people mix with foreigners on the 'romantic' level. I think it best to bring a partner with you.

Thanks for the helpful part, Bill97 :) .

What part was that?

I lived in India for two years and I'd say that Envirogirl's comments are right on.

I will add that to enjoy living in India, or even just to tolerate it, you may need to qualify in these respects:

• you are young and healthy, and I mean very healthy psycologically with a strong immune system
  • you thrive on the adventure of an intense and radically different experience than you can get anywhere else on earth (different, extreme, not necessarily better)
  • you are not attached to physical comforts for yourself and the people around you, and you can step back and shake off the the heat, humidity, mosquitos and the sights, sounds and smells of horrible human conditions, filth, sickness and deformities that you will come face to face with on a daily basis
  • you are interested in, or better yet immersed in, the spiritual traditions/religions of India which dominate every aspect of life there

There is also the incredible good side of life in India if you are open to it and the bad side doesn't drag you down too much. It is much more intense than Thailand, especially in the cities. But that intensity and the inconceivable human condition gives you the opportunity to step back into a witness consciousness of non-attachment and spriritual awareness. If you don't know what I mean by that, or if you have the tendancy to get caught up in it all with judgement, repulsion and emotional empathy, then you may be miserable.

If you want a nice comfortable retired life with not too much in-your-face sh*t to deal with, then stay in Thailand.

Go for a visit before you decide to move there. Go with a healthy body and open mind. don

envirogirl & drtreelove, thanks for your posts, i've been considering a stay of upto 6 months in india for a while now & have browsed inidamike for a wee bit, i'm hesistant as to how i'll react there though as i've read similar comments to your own & how it can be a complete shock to the system of even seasoned travellers, i'm not putting myself in that bracket by any means and that's why i've had my concerns, i'm essentially after a laid back atmosphere (lol as much as is possible) and would like to embrace the indian culture, with an interest & view to learning about the cuisine and yoga, i'd also like to visit the temples, the origins/path of buddha and if possible take a short break to the mountanous regions

any information & tips either of you could share would be greatly appreciated, i'm male & in my late 20's if this has any relevance

It will either "make you or break you" no in between!

Chaos, madness, sickness, disease, masses and unraveled beauty ( oh' yes there is)

dancing shiva - all over - live, naked, no make up, no frills!

nothing for the feeble minded, those who want to die in bed...!

Apply for a Indian Visa online:

click here:

Indian Embassy Thailand

Edited by Samuian

India was one of the most unhygienic countries I have ever been to with people openly sh!tting in the street as the norm.

You'd need a real good reason to want to live there.

Never been to China, Jimmy? It's called culture ( and a lack off public toilets) :D.

Thanks all, for your excellent replies. (Particular thanks to Bill97 :) )

It's the intensity that would be the reason. Indian people do love to talk to you, anywhere & about anything or nothing, and seemed to do things that just astonished me daily. Yes, beware of scammers but there are highly intelligent, articuate folk everywhere in India who will strike up a conversation with anyone. Perhaps that's what I am craving.

Thailand has labelled itself "amazing" but India truly is. Yes, the cities are dirty and the poverty can appall, but the people, on the whole, are something else. The scenery is also diverse and magical.

Edited by WaiWai

I have lived in Chiang Mai longer than India, but I still feel safe to say life is much easier here. However, that is not to say you cannot live happily there, but it all depends on you. In my experience, Indian's have this amazing ability to read people. If they read you are disgusted by their country, they will react negatively (but very subtly). If they read you are open to learning about their amazingly rich culture, then you will be hosted better there than anywhere else in the world. Fortunately, my experience was the latter case because I was there to conduct graduate level research on the impacts of a water resources development project on marginalized people (tribal and lower caste) which helped shape my attitude.

I have also lived and traveled around East Africa and a handful of other developing countries around the world and will always say that India was the most intense experience on every level. It is crowded, dirty and the probability for getting scammed is high. But it is also colorful, interesting and again, some people of the people I met there are among my favorite interactions.

As for logistics, I noticed that many regions have very bad problems with consistent electricity and water. All resources are stretched thin among the world's second largest population as you can imagine. If you work from home, I am assume electricity is important to you so look into that since some regions are better than others (like in government or international IT company areas). While I welcomed the break from computer work at the NGO I did my internship at, I had to exit the building as soon as it went off because the heat was unlike any other I have experienced (monsoon season). Not that I am an aircon addict, but I hardly came across them there (could also have to do with electricity availability).

While I actually enjoy the very sweet Indian Chai that is available and offered everywhere, I did miss the coffee culture since I am an absolute coffee addict (another reason I love life in Chiang Mai).

Honestly, life in Thailand is cake, even compared to my home country, but certainly compared to India. But other things make up for it there.

I am not sure if this was helpful to you, but if it was and you would like to continue the conversation feel free to PM me.

Goa has very little to do with India. It catholic and looks Portuguese ( colonised in the 16 century) It is manly a place where hippy's meet and get stoned.

envirogirl & drtreelove, thanks for your posts, i've been considering a stay of upto 6 months in india for a while now & have browsed inidamike for a wee bit, i'm hesistant as to how i'll react there though as i've read similar comments to your own & how it can be a complete shock to the system of even seasoned travellers, i'm not putting myself in that bracket by any means and that's why i've had my concerns, i'm essentially after a laid back atmosphere (lol as much as is possible) and would like to embrace the indian culture, with an interest & view to learning about the cuisine and yoga, i'd also like to visit the temples, the origins/path of buddha and if possible take a short break to the mountanous regions

any information & tips either of you could share would be greatly appreciated, i'm male & in my late 20's if this has any relevance

Try it! If you go with an open mind, the good will out weigh the bad, as I think those of us with experience there have already alluded to. Especially if you are going the spiritual/mountain route (although I warn you not to stay hidden away in those places for too long as some really annoying travel authors have done). I learned so much from my time there and still keep in close contact with the friends I made from there. There is a movie called "Outsourced" and I highly recommend that you watch it. They captured the little details of this kind of cultural exchange almost perfectly. I was touched and never would have thought such emotions would come from a movie about an american guy that is forced to move to India to train his replacement.

Beyond that I would need to know more about you before I could truly recommend it. As a said in my first post, I would be more than happy to write to you in person as I have done for many other people that have traveled or moved to countries that I have lived in. PM me.

Wai Wai

You say you have spent time in India and that you are wondering where to settle for a while. Depending upon where you visited you will also know that Indian states are so diverse from each other that you could almost be in different countries. In simple terms, to get to address your difficulty you will need to have not only spent time in each of these general areas but to have done so in climatically different seasons. Hot as Hades ! Bitter cold ! Monsoons ! Difficult. Our last visit to India was for 6 months but we have always moved with the climate. We will be going again for 3 months ( Feb-May '10 ). We have made previous visits of 3 and 4 months duration.

All that has appeared on the posts so far are true ( facts with which you are no doubt familiar ). But in the balance India is a fantastic and certainly the most exotic country in the world (IMHO). Prosperous parts of the country seem closely aligned to literacy rates.

My preferences are the deserts of Rajahstan and the Himalayan areas of Himachal Pradesh and Uttaranchal. Himalayas provide a vastly different people. Different religion, languages, large Tibetan expatriate population, different foods, hygiene standards, environmental cleanliness and spectacular scenery.

My only recommendation is that you spend a lot of time investigating the weather conditions in the area to which you are attracted for the time that you intend to stay there. I would suggest that this might be your prime consideration.

Cheers.

Nilgiri Hills in the South - Ootakamund Hillstation, Kerala - the Backwaters, Arunnachal Pradesh.

The top ten national Parks of India:

Corbett National Park :

Established in 1936, Corbett National Park is India's first ecopark. Spanning across the span of 920.9 square km, Corbett National Park is India's most popular national park of India. This ecopark is famous for Tigers and encompasses 110 tree species, 50 mammals species, 580 bird species and 25 reptile species.

Kaziranga National Park:

Based on banks of Brahmputra River, Kaziranga National Park spans over an area of 430 sq kms. The national park houses the famous one horned rhinos. This national park comes under the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of India.

Periyar National Park:

Located in Kerala, Periyar National Park is the most visited ecoparks of India. Spanning over 350 sq km, Periyar National Park is known for encompassing two majestic mammals – Elephants and Tiger. It is a known Tiger Reserve in Kerala India.

Sariska Tiger Reserve

Established as National Park in 1979, Sariska National Park in Rajasthan is famous for housing Tigers. The national park supports varied flora and fuana. The Kankwari Fort, The Palace and the Shiv Temple are the famous tourist attractions of this park.

Sundarbans National Park:

Created in 1973, the core area of Sunderban was declared a National Park in 1984. Sunderban National Park dots the West Bengal region of India. It was declared a Biosphere Reserve and a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Dhudhwa National Park

It is a Tiger Reserve located in Lakhim Pur Kgeei District of Uttar Pradesh. Spanning over an area of 81 sq kms, Dhudhwa National Park in India 38 species of Mammal, 16 species of Reptiles and many species of Birds.

Valley of Flowers

Valley of Flowes is located in the Chamoli District of Uttranchal and is one of the very few places in India where God have showered his immense blessings. Spanning over an area of 87.5 Sq. Kms, the Valley of Flower was declared a National Park in the year 1982.

Hemis National Park:

Located in Hemis National Parks of India, it is situated 40 km southeast of Leh/Ladakh. Spanning over an area of 4,100 sq km, Hemis National Park was founded in 1981.

Gir Wildlife Sanctuary:

Established in 1965, Gir Wildlife Sanctuary is spread over an area of 2450 hectares of area. It is known for housing a yet another majestic mammal – Indian Lion. It is a haven encompassing around 300 Tigers in its vicinity.

Kanha National Park:

Home for Tigers, Kanha National Park in Madhya Pradesh was created in 1974 under Project Tiger. Spanning over an area of 940 sq kms, Kanha National Park houses the largest population of Tigers in India.

yes ofcoursethere is many thing dirty....but there is lotus bloom in dirty water....just keep ur eyes on lotus.......india is incredible.....one life is not enough to exactly know it.......whats is great thing there..isjust travel few hundred kilometer...and u will find everything change..language..religion..culture..food...even people appearance....climate......., its a country to feel..to learn..inspite of all pollution,dirt,disease......bcoz of large pupulation,poverty in slum class and different diferent community...there also hv crime,,..for thats just tobe careful......but if u can mix up with any middle class indian family,then u will know exactly abt indian tradition and culture.........bcoz most tourist places are same,touts,tryingto make more money....avoidto rent hotel at tourist places,bus station,train stations.......in any month,u can choose ur fav climate and can plan to travel different part of india..in same day,u can get all climate in different different part of india........remember,at best natural place,there is a temple...socover most temples..and ufinished travel india..........in india..u can find..good,bad or even ugly people...

forliving retired life,realy thailand ismost comfortable country..im indian..but i choose tolive here every sixmonths of a year...here is realy cessasion ofmind..u never need to use ur mind....in india..u hv to deal with people at every second....bt traveling in india..is incredible....

for any information about india..ur welcome

Thailand has labelled itself "amazing" but India truly is. Yes, the cities are dirty and the poverty can appall, but the people, on the whole, are something else. The scenery is also diverse and magical.

The scenery is magical ?

Not good enough reason when you have to walk in dirt every day.

Sorry but not my cup of tea.

I teach in Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver, Canada, and there are loads of people of India origin in Surrey. Many of my students go "to the Punjab" and I ask them about it. One rather attractive young female student(about 16) was chased relentlessly in the streets, but she has been there many times and thought it was funny. The worst thing i heard was some of my students said they stepped over dead people in the streeet, or dying ones. I said (foolishly) to them.."does noone help them?" They replied if you help them, you could be charged with murdering them if they die as you are assisting them. i did not believe it, but it gave me a snippet of the harshness there.