New Mayor Elect

sbk

New Chiang Mai Mayor Tassanai Buranupakorn speaks of his plans

CMM reporters

New Chiang Mai Mayor Tassanai Buranupakorn said at a press conference held at his home in San Kamphaeng on October 5 that he was grateful for being elected and that he would repair provincial public utilities and ensure food safety.

Mayor Elect Tassanai Buranupakorn

n3-mayo.jpg

He thanked Chiang Mai residents and assured them of his readiness to work as mayor of the city. He went on to explain his plans to solve problems with public utilities, to build bicycle lanes for air pollution reduction and energy saving and ensure food safety and the cleanness of provincial food markets.

He also spoke about promoting Chiang Mai’s culture as a tourism highlight, and promised to cooperate with the relevant organisations in a promotion campaign to attract tourists from Europe, America, China and the OPEC countries, together with potential students who, he hoped, would study and stay in Thailand for a long period of time.

Regarding the election commission’s check on him, he expressed confidence in his innocence. He also promised fair treatment to all Chiang Mai residents.

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd3

the usual speech, lets see if he follows thru

bicycle lanes is a noble idea to reduce pollution, but i dont think residents in CM will be swapping powered vehicals for bikes anytime soon. Tackling the forrest/seasonal burn offs would be more worthwhile

Gor Gor Tor (Election commission) have 1 month to investigate any irregularities and once they sign after the month it basically becomes official. I believe it is the same after any election so nothing really sure until they sign. Meanwhile rumours fly etc.

One would think after last time no one has been stupid enough to get caught out with the house registration!

What I find interesting is that the news article confirms what I've been hearing around town. He's being investigated for corruption and (according to some), there will be another election.

surprise surprise....not

if the mayor gets thrown out, there will be others they will offer ie the brother, cousin, blah blah

gee what we really want, another election :)

some things never change

how about creating a screening process before candidates are finalised

Gor Gor Tor (Election commission) have 1 month to investigate any irregularities and once they sign after the month it basically becomes official. I believe it is the same after any election so nothing really sure until they sign. Meanwhile rumours fly etc.

One would think after last time no one has been stupid enough to get caught out with the house registration!

suppose theres a video coming out next

What I find interesting is that the news article confirms what I've been hearing around town. He's being investigated for corruption and (according to some), there will be another election.

Vote buying has been touted, and you only need one voter to be found accepting a "gratuity" from his party, and bingo another election :)

Vote buying has been touted, and you only need one voter to be found accepting a "gratuity" from his party, and bingo another election :)

I'll vote for that! How much you offer? :D

why bicycle lanes? even using bio-degradable dolphin-safe paint markings won't do much.

thais generally don't ride bicycles. (or walk on the non-existent sidewalks)

maybe more foreigners will ride, but not enough drive stinky tuk-tuks to lower pollution levels.

would be better to develop an affordable mass transport bus system.

why bicycle lanes? even using bio-degradable dolphin-safe paint markings won't do much.

maybe more foreigners will ride, but not enough drive stinky tuk-tuks to lower pollution levels.

i think they tried that, some white modern buses that ran on bio some-thing ??

they didnt have much of a system due to the songteuw mafia not letting it on the profitable routes, so i understand,

it would be great to have some sort of advancement in the greening of this City, but due to the corruption, in fighting and short sightedness of the powers at be, things wont change in a hurry,

get used to it

if there's a songtow mafia, we'll just have to work with them.

let them run the bus system, they'll still own the profitable routes, if they also run the lesser profitable ones.

and while we're at it, ban all truck deliveries (over 1/2 ton pickup size) inside the moat. anything larger has to be offloaded onto smaller,

former songtow pickups for delivery. also run by the songtow mafia, at set prices.

i think they tried that, some white modern buses that ran on bio some-thing ??

they didnt have much of a system due to the songteuw mafia not letting it on the profitable routes, so i understand,

it would be great to have some sort of advancement in the greening of this City, but due to the corruption, in fighting and short sightedness of the powers at be, things wont change in a hurry,

get used to it

As far as the bus system in put in place a year or two ago......the first thing I would suggest is to get some management that can distinguish the front end of the bus from the back, or , heaven forbid, that knows something about running a bus system.

I remember that I was so thrilled when I saw the white busses running that first day, that I wanted to go out and give the driver a cup of coffee. In the first week or so, the busses were almost empty, then little by little, as people got to know the time schedules and the routes, they were getting more and more riders. After about 4 - 6 months they were quite full coming in front of my window.

Then , Bang, they changed the routes, and the time schedules........ and about another month change again..... I can understand why they had few customers...... Riders did not know when and where the busses were going anymore.

It takes time to build a good bus route. I can remember people waiting almost 2 hours and no bus.....

As far as the red bus drivers are concerned, I think some of them drove the white busses..... if a customer got on and no one was on board, I swear the driver would go off route to take them where they wanted to go.

I can remember my better half waiting and waiting for the sechduled bus. Finally it came down the street and rather than going straight thru the traffic light, he made a right turn an went to Warrorot Mkt.

No wonder the people gave up on them. Typical same same brain cells ..... DEAD