Loy Krathong Events.

sappersrest

Hi

Can some one point me in the right direction to obtain times and dates of events during this years festival I tried TAT website with no luck plenty of information about other towns but nothing about Chiang Mai,perhaps I am looking in the wrong place,A brief timetable of events would be a great help in planning our stay.

My Wife and I will be arriving on 29 Oct. For a 2 week stay,so should have time to attend most of the festivities(our main reason for comming this time is for the festival).

Many thanks.

You should come straight to CNX then, The event start on Saturday 31st to 3rd November.

Most of the event is near by the night barzarr and the temples around the mort.

I think you mean to say..the events take place not near the Night Bazaar but all along the mighty Ping River! I've not seen anyone put 'kathongs' in the Moat.

Hi

Can some one point me in the right direction to obtain times and dates of events during this years festival I tried TAT website with no luck plenty of information about other towns but nothing about Chiang Mai,perhaps I am looking in the wrong place,A brief timetable of events would be a great help in planning our stay.

My Wife and I will be arriving on 29 Oct. For a 2 week stay,so should have time to attend most of the festivities(our main reason for comming this time is for the festival).

Many thanks.

There is a great event at Mae Jo, on Saturday 31st (I'm fairly sure but like everything here, difficult to get accurate information). It's north of CM ( ?15KM?). More than 5000 Khun fai ( hot air balloons ) are released, it's spectacular and very busy, get there early, about 6.00 pm . Parking is a nightmare. Starts around 7.30/ 8.00 pm ceremonies, balloons, lots of fun

Hi

Many thanks.

There is a great event at Mae Jo, on Saturday 31st (I'm fairly sure but like everything here, difficult to get accurate information). It's north of CM ( ?15KM?). More than 5000 Khun fai ( hot air balloons ) are released, it's spectacular and very busy, get there early, about 6.00 pm . Parking is a nightmare. Starts around 7.30/ 8.00 pm ceremonies, balloons, lots of fun

On another thread people were saying that the Mae Jo event would be on 24 October and others were saying that there would be no event at all due to swine flu fears. Does anyone have definite information whether the event will in fact take place and when?

Edited by Petey

Hi

Many thanks.

It's so confusing this year .... I was told this will be on 24th.....?? Of October ....??? Oye , where can we get the correct info ???

annabell.

i dont speak or read thai but this sign tells you what is going on ... where ... over loy krathong in nov 09

ask your hotel receptionist to translate it to something you understand

hope you get sorted .... dave2

annabell.

i dont speak or read thai but this sign tells you what is going on ... where ... over loy krathong in nov 09

Thanks for the photo Dave2 I will try and get the words translated.

It amazes me that such an important event in Chiang Mai's calender has not had more publicity espcially given that more foreign money would boost the countries coffers.

If I wanted to go to Phayoa it's all listed time places etc.

annabell.

Thanks Dave... Had the lady who works for me look at it but it doesn't mention anything about the Maejo event. She made a call to her daughter who studies at Maejo and she also said not sure yet if will 24th or 31st...? So annoying ..anyway guess just have to wait till there is a formal announcement :)

Which poster - the one that says thanks to the govt. for 18,000 million Baht for Thai Kaem Kaeng :D :D :D

:)

Oh sorry I think you meant the Loykrathong one on the left hand side which is 1-3 Nov

On 24 Oct it is the mass letting loose of lanterns (floating incendiary devices) at Maejo the Dhamma... place.

1-3 Nov is the city centre celebrations which is normally lanterns day 1, small krathongs day 2 and large lorry size krathongs day 3

Which poster - the one that says thanks to the govt. for 18,000 million Baht for Thai Kaem Kaeng :D:D:D

:)

Oh sorry I think you meant the Loykrathong one on the left hand side which is 1-3 Nov

On 24 Oct it is the mass letting loose of lanterns at Maejo the Dhamma... place.

1-3 Nov is the city centre celebrations which is normally lanterns day 1, small krathongs day 2 and large lorry size krathongs day 3

Thanks CMSALLY !! Yes, the Maejo (floating incendiary devices) :D ...but so many people still saying not on 24th but 31st ... guess will have to wait it out 2 more days and see.... :D:D

Hi

Many thanks.

Go to www.loikrathong.net & select Chiang Mai. All the details are listed from Oct 31st to Nov 3rd. :)

I heard the tail end of the local Thai news a couple of days ago and if I got it correct, the Komloy event at Mae Jo has been cancelled. Did anyone hear the whole story; I got just the last few sentences of local WeTV news which is normallly quite good for local events. I got just a sentence or two before it changed to something else so not sure if I got it out of context.

Maybe someone else can confirm.

Just called Mae Jo University, definitely on this Saturday 24th from 6PM.

Enjoy!

Joy....!!! Totally missed out on it :D ...This is soooooo bad!!! How can Chiang Mai do this??? This sucks big time!!! The one really nice event in this city and nobody but nobody could give a clear answer when you called / asked...! Even a student at Maejo University that I know couldn't get a clear answer ....What the _ _ _ _ is wrong with this city ??? :) ....eeessshhhh!!!

Hi

Many thanks.

Go to www.loikrathong.net & select Chiang Mai. All the details are listed from Oct 31st to Nov 3rd. :)

The site is listed as a potential virus attack site. Arghhh!