New UPS

jayenram

Last week I bought a new UPS for the first time.

After a few days use it has started "ticking" at irregular intervals. The noise is similar to a solenoid switch sound. Does anyone know if this is normal or may it be faulty?

Normally this is a sign that the UPS is having to adjust the voltage to the correct level. Normally occurs when the UPS is designed for a particular voltage and the voltage in is higher or lower.

Could be that you are getting a very high or low voltage which is outside the threshhold of the ups.

If this is the case then leave the UPS in and on as it might protect equipment from getting fried.

Last week I bought a new UPS for the first time.

After a few days use it has started "ticking" at irregular intervals. The noise is similar to a solenoid switch sound. Does anyone know if this is normal or may it be faulty?

Mine does the same thing. It does it about 10 times per day out of a 12-15 hour time span. It also makes the lights in the house flicker on and off.

My guess is that this is because the voltage to the house sometimes drops for a microsecond. The UPS is then ready to kick on, but then the voltage picks up again.

Or, this guy's explanation sounds interesting too:

If the UPS also contains PowerFactorCorrection implemented in the same style as PC PSUs then yes, the UPS will tick, however, I have a UPS inline on my rig here (which I've JUST realised, hence every PSU I've tested has resulted as being 100% silent *doh*.... wondered why I couldn't get any of the RMAd ones to tick whenever I hooked em up at my desk!) and my UPS doesn't tick, but the input voltage condition warning light is permanently lit.

from here

Mine clicks when my a/c compressor kicks in, and when anyone in the neighborhood is using an electric welder.

My problem has always been that the ups's never last more than a year os so for me. Now, when the power goes off, so does everything hooked up to the UPS...monitor, printer, computer. I figure it's still useful in the case of some flucuation, and maybe surges that can happen when the power comes back...

One important thing about UPS here I've learned:

Don't connect anything else to it but your computer and monitor.

I had a lamp connected to it (as there is only one outlet on this side of the room) and it didn't work at all. (It clicked constantly - the directions didn't say anything about this).

Now I have only my computer and monitor hooked up to it, and it works fine. I have the UPS connected to a power strip, and everything is still going into that one hole in the wall.

Dodgy solenoid!

Or dodgy power... - I've had the light's flickering at the same time it clicks symptoms (although last time was about a month ago)... (Obviously, it's only if you've got halogen or standard incandescent bulbs that you'd notice, fluorescents wouldn't flicker to the same extent..)

It's quite likely it's coming on for low voltage. (Brownouts can be fairly common here). Depending on the manufacturer, there may be dipswitches on the back to reduce the sensitivity of the device. (although that tends to be the higher end manufacturers whether to come on at 210v, or just at 185v, etc., which might stop the clicking for you.)

A way to check would be to plug in a lamp into the same socket (on a power strip), and if the light flickers at the same time as the clicking, the clicking is the UPS doing it's job... i.e. The UPS is fine, but you might want someone to check your electrics...

Dodgy solenoid!

Or dodgy power... - I've had the light's flickering at the same time it clicks symptoms (although last time was about a month ago)... (Obviously, it's only if you've got halogen or standard incandescent bulbs that you'd notice, fluorescents wouldn't flicker to the same extent..)

It's quite likely it's coming on for low voltage. (Brownouts can be fairly common here). Depending on the manufacturer, there may be dipswitches on the back to reduce the sensitivity of the device. (although that tends to be the higher end manufacturers whether to come on at 210v, or just at 185v, etc., which might stop the clicking for you.)

A way to check would be to plug in a lamp into the same socket (on a power strip), and if the light flickers at the same time as the clicking, the clicking is the UPS doing it's job... i.e. The UPS is fine, but you might want someone to check your electrics...

When the mains power in my house drops out for a fraction of a second or several seconds, my UPS clicks once. When the power comes back, it clicks again.

But I have the UBC decoder, TV, PC, speakers and desk lamp all running from it. The funny thing is when the mains power goes off, the desk lamp is often noticeably brighter - probably because the UPS is giving a true 220 volts whereas the mains is often less.

Somewhat on topic: The batteri of my UPS died some time ago. Instead of buying a replacement I went out and bought a car battery instead. Of course it doesn't fit inside the box so it's wired up next to the UPS. I then bought one of those PC cabinet fans you can buy in most spare parts shops, had a hole drilled in the UPS cabinet for it, and voila ... while the UPS before would be lucky to keep my rig going for two minutes I've now tested it for a full hour wihtout power.. :o

Remember that the ups has a certain output... if you have a large monitor or have installed new hard drives etc... it could well be that your ups is not up to par. Get a bigger newer one in that instance.

When the ups goes (average life is 2+ years) pull the battery out of it and go to Bahn Mo - you can replace the battery for a few hundred baht instead of a new ups at a couple of thousand.

After a few days use it has started "ticking" at irregular intervals.

If you bought it in the southern provinces, I suggest you unplug it and place it into a tub of water or in the middle of a field until the ticking stops. :o

Sorry,  where is Bahn Mo ?

the electronics bizarre near to Klong Thom

Where is Klong Thom? :D

Chinatown and one/two blocks west of Old Siam Plaza shopping complex and the area is also well known for diamond jewelry so an easy place to get the wife to take you. :o

If driving turn left at Royal Hotel and follow the klong until have to turn left. First road on left is Ban Mo electronics area.

Somewhat on topic: The batteri of my UPS died some time ago. Instead of buying a replacement I went out and bought a car battery instead.  Of course it doesn't fit inside the box so it's wired up next to the UPS.  I then bought one of those PC cabinet fans you can buy in most spare parts shops, had a hole drilled in the UPS cabinet for it, and voila ... while the UPS before would be lucky to keep my rig going for two minutes I've now tested it for a full hour wihtout power.. :o

yep this is a pretty good idea, specially if you have long power outs but want to keep on using your kit, one thing to bear in mind tho is that car batteries are not deep cycle, this means if they are discharged fully several times, the lead plates will dissolve and the battery will lose voltage.

• 2 months later...

I should have replied earlier but I forgot.

I discovered that the 'ticking' occurs when the FG is taking a shower therefore it must be compensating for the slightly reduced power supply as the heater kicks in and out. It probably also 'ticks' when I'm taking a shower but I can't hear it from in the hong narm.