Accord Or Camry ?

Maigo6

Over to you guys that own either of these models.

I was thinking about buying a Jazz or a City, but looking at the car selling sites, for the same money I can get a used Accord or Camry in great condition, looking at the specs they are a lot more car for the money.

pros and cons please.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not really buying a car are you? You're just bored and fancy a chat...

Both are good cars IMO (A or C). For city driving get the Jazz. For longer distance driving go for the Accord. If you do a bit of both, get a Civic. :)

The Camry is nice too though, I also like the little Mazda hatchback (is it a 323?). If I liked my missus I reckon I'd get her one of those, rather than a Jazz or City (it's around the same size as the City, but sexier).

Over to you guys that own either of these models.

I was thinking about buying a Jazz or a City, but looking at the car selling sites, for the same money I can get a used Accord or Camry in great condition, looking at the specs they are a lot more car for the money.

pros and cons please.

at 7-800k I would look at Nissan Teana. Nice V6 and very low secondhandprice.

at 1,5 mill I would definately go for Accord 2,4.

For me, I'd ask which dealership, as some Toyota dealerships are more like bus stations as they have that huge truck marketshare and if you don't mind seeing sick/malnourished looking kids running around the dealership/service center and often dozens of people who look like they've never heard the whole Land of Smiles mantra (probably because they bought cars with financing without considering that it would have to be maintained and filled with gas regularly), I'd go with the Accord, as Honda operations tend to happier all around IMO, and you don't have to worry about seeing people sucking down the complimentary coffee/cakes/etc. because they don't have much to eat at home.

We have both in the house and '00 2.3 and '02 2.4, and after 7-9 years a piece are both still reliable city and motorway vehicles (remember though that Honda parts tend to cost more and there isn't as developed an aftermarket for OEM parts if you're not a dealership only service type of person).

:)

Edited by Heng

Just so i can get myself ready for next week Maigo, any clues as to what we'll be comparing then?

On a serious note, what exactly is your budget? You said that for the same money as a City you can get a great Camry or Acccord - are we talking then at about 600k?

Because what i have seen used in terms of Camrys and Accords, i really think a figure nearer to 800k is what you'll be looking at for something nice.

For me it is the Camry 2.0G.

For about 600'k or below, i recomment to buy a Toyota Crown, 1998 to 2000, much better and solider car, they have 2 liter or 3 liter models, both 6 cylinder and RWD. RWD cars are much stronger and last almost forever. Easy to replace the engine if get some troubles. Not expensive to run, much more confortable. FWD 4 cylinder have all this little vibration during the idle speed. 6 cylinder RWD cars don't.

MK is for special occasions. A normal Saturday afternoon involves me wandering around a shopping mall never holding any purchases using the various glass reflections and elevated angles of view to spot as many bits of flesh as I can before I get hungry and wander into the employee food court pretending that I am looking for someone, making sure that I remembered to bring my own water bottle, at which point I purchase 35 baht worth of coupons and after I scarf down 4 ounces of chicken and a cup of rice, I take home the fork and spoon as a souvenir and sometimes even the plate depending on whether or not I am carrying my empty 199 baht laptop bag that I walk around with to pretend I actually own a laptop. Before returning to my studio apartment, I will make the rounds of the grocery stores, knocking off as many free samples as I find, and if I am really really lucky, there will be some kind of free entertainment set up outside, you know, blaring bass and unintelligible garbage being sung by the shopping mall owner's niece and her friends. Sometime last year they even had these sort of prepubescent coyote dancers doing a routine, so now every Saturday morning I think, maybe today will be the day they return. Wish me luck, I am off now.

MK is for special occasions. A normal Saturday afternoon involves me wandering around a shopping mall never holding any purchases using the various glass reflections and elevated angles of view to spot as many bits of flesh as I can before I get hungry and wander into the employee food court pretending that I am looking for someone, making sure that I remembered to bring my own water bottle, at which point I purchase 35 baht worth of coupons and after I scarf down 4 ounces of chicken and a cup of rice, I take home the fork and spoon as a souvenir and sometimes even the plate depending on whether or not I am carrying my empty 199 baht laptop bag that I walk around with to pretend I actually own a laptop. Before returning to my studio apartment, I will make the rounds of the grocery stores, knocking off as many free samples as I find, and if I am really really lucky, there will be some kind of free entertainment set up outside, you know, blaring bass and unintelligible garbage being sung by the shopping mall owner's niece and her friends. Sometime last year they even had these sort of prepubescent coyote dancers doing a routine, so now every Saturday morning I think, maybe today will be the day they return. Wish me luck, I am off now.

good post :)

its not really your studio apartment is it?

The OP is asking about such randomly different cars...'maybe a Jazz, maybe a Camry' (?!) I can't begin to offer advice. I've always bought Toyota in Thailand, but Honda usually top reliability tables and there has never been a warranty claim against their V-Tec engines.

Cars aside though, this thread is hilarious I'm really enjoying reading it; I like the post from Heng about

dozens of people who look like they've never heard the whole Land of Smiles mantra (probably because they bought cars with financing without considering that it would have to be maintained and filled with gas regularly),
That's Thailand to a T, although sadly it's often the motorist's spouse and offspring that absorb the brunt of the poverty bought about through motoring costs - usually willingly as cars give 'status'....

TheGoodDoctor's post is funny esp. as he's managed to rack up 30 posts since joining yesterday.

IMHO Camry 2,0 145 hp is underpowered and only 4 speed auto, inexpensive though. I used to have a 2007 Camry 2,4 with approx 165hp, but it was slower than my present 2008 Accord 2,4 180hp.

The new 2.4 Accord is certainly nice, very nice, I like the interior a lot .

Whats the ride quality like ?

Would you class it as a high end car, is it the same ride quality as a 5 Series BMW, road noise comfort etc.

The interior certainly looks the part.

Acceleration figures, top end etc.

165 to 180 hp... ah' well where in Thailand except on the highways by late night, can one really use hp.

I have the impression that the Camry is a fine car in every way.... and plenty of power, comfort...

but never mind, I think the OP has mad up his mind already - go for a test ride -

then you know much better then from tell tale.

Saw this red ferrari on Samui the other day... :)

Hybrid Camry !

yepp

bargain in LOS since hybrid reduced tax makes it same price as ordinary 2,4 Camry.

The range on electric power is a joke though. is it 15 km at 30kmh?

Why does the range on electric power matter? It's a hybrid, both engines work seamlessly, I doubt you even have a button to turn one of them off if you want to.

I like the idea of instant power surge from electric motors if you step on gas, should be great for acceleration in the city.

On the OP - I think only the latest Accord is a worthy competition to the Camry, previous models were always trying to catch up. There was 220hp V6, however.

Don't forget cost of spare parts - many will reach the end of their life and need replacement, even if you don't need to change anything when you buy the car.

IMHO Camry 2,0 145 hp is underpowered and only 4 speed auto, inexpensive though. I used to have a 2007 Camry 2,4 with approx 165hp, but it was slower than my present 2008 Accord 2,4 180hp.

The new 2.4 Accord is certainly nice, very nice, I like the interior a lot .

Whats the ride quality like ?

Would you class it as a high end car, is it the same ride quality as a 5 Series BMW, road noise comfort etc.

The interior certainly looks the part.

Acceleration figures, top end etc.

Ride comfort is on par with BMW 5, not as comfy and soft as Camry. Ride feel, steering and traction is much better than Camry but not on par with BMW 5.

Road noise is too high, but partly compensated by auto increased volume in stereo when speed increases.

Power in 2,4/180 hp is good, paddleshift great. Milage ok at 7-8 km/litres in 160 kmh highway, 95 E10 gasohol

I would not class it as high end on par with BMW, MB, Lexus or Audi A6, and in LOS the price is less than half of these

was introduced in LOS january 2008, so hard to find secondhand less than 1,2 mill though :)

Hybrid Camry !

yepp

bargain in LOS since hybrid reduced tax makes it same price as ordinary 2,4 Camry.

The range on electric power is a joke though. is it 15 km at 30kmh?

Why does the range on electric power matter? It's a hybrid, both engines work seamlessly, I doubt you even have a button to turn one of them off if you want to.

I like the idea of instant power surge from electric motors if you step on gas, should be great for acceleration in the city.

On the OP - I think only the latest Accord is a worthy competition to the Camry, previous models were always trying to catch up. There was 220hp V6, however.

Don't forget cost of spare parts - many will reach the end of their life and need replacement, even if you don't need to change anything when you buy the car.

Camry has very inexpensive spareparts while Accord is almost double. Both have very short lifetime for brakepads and disks, like 40k km(both are made by Nissin LOS).

The range of electric power matters because the idea is to be able to run only electric in city, not polluting. But more range cost more batteries giving higher weight and reduced trunksize.

Camry Hybrid is actually rather lazy running only petrolengine whithout the electric power. wonder how it works overtaking in 150 kmh and running out of batteries?