Sputtering Water Supply

HardenedSoul

Hi

I live in an older apartment in a low rise (5 floors) building and for the last few months, I've been getting a sputtering of air and water when I turn on any water outlet. Even when I flush the loo, I can hear the sputtering whilst the tank refills.

In keeping with sod's law, the problem is intermittent so when the landlord's incompetent jack-of-all-trades maintenance chimp comes round, the water flows beautifully leaving me looking like I'm just out to waste his time.

It's gotten to the point where I'm considering paying for the work to be done myself and sending the landlord the bill but it'd be good if someone here could suggest what the problem might be if they've had a similar issue in the past or, perhaps, if they've got a background in plumbing.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

air in the system is normaly because there has been some work done on it, it could be mains work outside your building or it could be work being done inside your building. you normally get this after you have had your water turned off for a while.

in general it is hard to get air into a system as the system is presurised, so there is a good chance that the air has come from the person that you are calling in the first place, and they have just decided to go and deal with your "problem" after they know that the air locks have gone!!

good chance you have been faranged !!!!

You say that you are in a 5 storey building, but you don't mention which floor that you live on. I assume that you do not live on the top floor.

Unfortunately, almost without exception, there is very little consideration/design when the water pipes are installed.

In a 5 storey building the lower floors are favoured, ie, they may get water all the time, but the upper floors do not. This will happen in a system that has worked and then gets a partial blockage/air lock somewhere near the storage tank.

What happens during periods of high demand is that all floors are trying to draw water at the same time. Probably the people on the lower floors are able to draw water, but the people on the top floor open their taps and get nothing. There is a sort of venturi effect and air is sucked into the system through the open taps on the upper floors. This causes the spluttering.

Check with you top floor neighbours and see if they are having periods with no water. If the landlords solves their problem, it will likely solve yours.

You say that you are in a 5 storey building, but you don't mention which floor that you live on. I assume that you do not live on the top floor.

Unfortunately, almost without exception, there is very little consideration/design when the water pipes are installed.

In a 5 storey building the lower floors are favoured, ie, they may get water all the time, but the upper floors do not. This will happen in a system that has worked and then gets a partial blockage/air lock somewhere near the storage tank.

What happens during periods of high demand is that all floors are trying to draw water at the same time. Probably the people on the lower floors are able to draw water, but the people on the top floor open their taps and get nothing. There is a sort of venturi effect and air is sucked into the system through the open taps on the upper floors. This causes the spluttering.

Check with you top floor neighbours and see if they are having periods with no water. If the landlords solves their problem, it will likely solve yours.

Apologies for not returning to this thread sooner. I had my preferences set to email me when I got replies but, needless to say, I didn't receive any.

Loong, I am, indeed, on the top floor of the building which is occupied in the following manner:

Ground/First floor - A bar

2nd Floor - Office (unoccupied)

3rd Floor - Apartment (unoccupied)

4th Floor - Apartment (recently occupied)

5th Floor - Apartment (Me)

The problem existed way before the 4th floor became occupied a couple of weeks ago and he's hardly ever there anyhow.