The "yellow Book" (tor Lor 13)

Any takers? Really nobody knows? I have been browsing so many posts but i can't find anything about it, maybe is a new rule? Oh man, lawyers time again, TIT.

Not sure as I got my book several years ago, but never heard anything regarding a minimum time frame... Sounds like you may have a local offical who is looking for "$ome Rea$on" to "$peed Thing$ Along"...

Pianoman

Any takers? Really nobody knows? I have been browsing so many posts but i can't find anything about it, maybe is a new rule? Oh man, lawyers time again, TIT.

Got mine during my first year. Simple process, no need for a lawyer.

No three year requirement for a Yellow Book; I got mine about a month after arriving/taking up residence in Thailand. And I've seen plenty other posts which show farangs obtaining a Yellow Book shortly after a person arrives/takes up residence in Thailand. But, as always in Thailand, you need to have your required documents all lined up (a.k.a., all ducks lined up).

Despite all the years I've been here, I still can't see a use for the yellow book..... Buying a car or motorbike perhaps? Err.... NO, the dealer and (or) registration office still require a letter from immigration confirming your address. Renewing a driving licence? Nope same story!

Has anyone found a good use for it?

geoffphuket

Despite all the years I've been here, I still can't see a use for the yellow book..... Buying a car or motorbike perhaps? Err.... NO, the dealer and (or) registration office still require a letter from immigration confirming your address. Renewing a driving licence? Nope same story!

Has anyone found a good use for it?

geoffphuket

I have purchased two Trucks, one car and several motorcycles all in my own name, all except one used motorcycle from Dealers, and all totally in my name just providing them with copies of my passport / visa and copies of my Yellow House book... The Used Motorcycle I went to the local Motorvehicle Office and a nice Thai worker there helped walk me thru the process with the seller...

Last 5 year Driver's Lic. went quick and easy with just my old lic. and Yellow Book...

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

Hi! thanks all for all your replies, it's really been a great help ! :D

So basically, after a few calls to the chief of the amphur, it seems that the 3 years are not required, here is how things went on so far:

got a usufruct for the lifetime(mine) on a piece of land, all went very smooth at the Land Office for this registration, builded up the main structure of the house, we then asked the "oboto" how to get this book, he tell us that we must get a letter from the immigration in Bangkok first to confirm my address, the immigration in Bangkok sent us to the district office in Aranya Prathet (here the clerks are really a piece of cake), went to the local amphur with this letter and here start the funny bit, wife ask a young lady about how to get this yellow book, she then ask to see my passport, check the visa (non-imm O, thai wife), check the blue book of my wife and then she start saying something like " oh, but i can see you have been in Thailand only one year, to get this book you must have been in Thailand for 3 years", she then get the older lady sitting on her side to say "yes", we wait for the chief of the amphur thinking they might just have got it wrong and he might be able to fix it for us, the old man step into the office and we are invited to sit on his desk, after we told him what we are looking for, he then ask the two ladies what are the requirements to get the Tor Lor 13 (so he doesn't know!...and guess what was the answer...), we then went away and made some further research, we call him on his phone and after have asked him how comes there are so many foreigners that got what we want without waiting this 3 years, we also ask for more details about this specific law so we can track it down, we are then invited back to the amphur, a local clerk (this time a young man) gave us a list with what they require to provide this book and asked me why i want one, i just tell him that i am building up a house and i will need it to get things like the utility bills on my name, then the same young lady at the back (note that she was not taking part on this conversation but just sitting on her desk doing some paperwork) start saying "no you can't do that" and then open a book like if she was browsing it to find something to support what she just said....what a horrible person, i really can't understand why such people should be so obstructive without any apparent reasons as we have never been asked for any tea money or else, she just look like the crazy daughteer of someone that opened up the doors for her to a job she definetely shouldn't be doing, i would not trust this kind of people handling a broom on my backyard, how can she handle a job of responsability? TIT

One of the requirement is to get my passport translated in thai language, we went to the ministry of foreign affairs in Bangkok and the young lady say " sorry, cannot do, your passport is NOT LEGAL " yes that's exactly what she said to me, i pointed out that my passport was an official and LEGAL document that allowed me to travel and also had a current stamp from their immigration(!) i then find out that apparently all passport olders must get a certified true copy of the passport from their respective embassies, i also noticed an american man that was so surprised by this request as well, i called my embassy for further clarification and they were so surprised too, however i got it very quickly(298 baht), i then went back to the ministry with my passport copy and paid a man hanging around offering translation for 300 baht (half an hour instead of the 3 hours waiting time at the shop on the ground floor), submitted all to the desk, paid 800 baht and collected the document after 2,5 hours.... i still didn't finish yet but i will keep you updated in the hope this can be of some benefit to someone :)

• 1 month later...

I find this yellow book thing intersting, because as mentioned is there a real use for it other than to prove you live at such a such address as mentioned by Issan lawyers (verify). In my view i am going to be logged in the house BLUE book only needing 2 high profile people from village & the usual 10 pages of translated documents.

So here`s athought WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN THIS SCENARIO ?

I have the little yellow bugger. Does it do me any good, no, but it does me no harm either. The rules on this yellow book changes from Amphur to Amphur. I was not required a three year residency. It can eliminate certificates of residence which it has for me but not always and it is another form of ID. Generally it does not take much to procure a book and very little cost, mine, CR 500 baht (in Thai) and 100 baht at the amphur. I thank must farangs like to get a yellow book for bragging rights. :)

No length of residence requirement at my local Amphur and it's a great talking point whenever I am asked for proof of address because absolutely nobody I have shown it too so far has seen one before. Saved me plenty of money too not needing to get proof of address at the British Embassy in BKK.

I went to see the head man at the Amphur office a few weeks ago to ask for a Yellow book.

I don't own anything and haven't been in Thailand long.

He chatted with my gf for about 10 minutes then turned to me and said "marry your girlfriend first and then I will issue a yellow book"

So there you go, as usual in Thailand, the boss will make up any rules he likes, you want something from him, you do what he tells you. I quite like this way of doing business!

Edited by pjclark1

First time I went to Thalang Amphur, Phuket I was told that I had to live here 2 years before I could get a yellow tabien baan.

When I went after 2 years I got one.

Requirements:

Adress certificate from Immigration

Signed copies of my passport

The names of my mother and father

A form from Amphur signed by "the puu yai baan" = village boss

Some forms from Amphur signed by my girlfriend, who have a blue tabien baan of the house I got the yellow in.

And after 3 dayes I could pick up the book.

PS. I have never heard that a none thai can have his name in the blue tabien baan.

Perconrad

Edited by perconrad

Getting a Yellow Book sounds like spending a game show wheel. If you are lucky the wheel lands on a quick-and-easy spot...you are a winner!!!; if you are unlucky it lands on a hard-to-do spot...spin again on the next episode. It shouldn't be this way...should be much more consistancy in where the wheel stops, but remember, this is Thailand.

I went to see the head man at the Amphur office a few weeks ago to ask for a Yellow book.

I don't own anything and haven't been in Thailand long.

He chatted with my gf for about 10 minutes then turned to me and said "marry your girlfriend first and then I will issue a yellow book"

So there you go, as usual in Thailand, the boss will make up any rules he likes, you want something from him, you do what he tells you. I quite like this way of doing business!

Maybe your girlfriend asked him to help her marry the farang!

• 3 weeks later...
First time I went to Thalang Amphur, Phuket I was told that I had to live here 2 years before I could get a yellow tabien baan.

When I went after 2 years I got one.

Requirements:

Adress certificate from Immigration

Signed copies of my passport

The names of my mother and father

A form from Amphur signed by "the puu yai baan" = village boss

Some forms from Amphur signed by my girlfriend, who have a blue tabien baan of the house I got the yellow in.

And after 3 dayes I could pick up the book.

PS. I have never heard that a none thai can have his name in the blue tabien baan.

Perconrad

I can only go from my encounters here so here goes

one day wifes brother goes to get lisence, so the old storie of him using my car at the registry popped it`s head up.

That`s where i got the idea of lets give this ago myself incase i need it for insurance claim.

Got there (registry) with all documents in tow (tying to cover every base) but the women said the only way your getting one is to be in the BLUE BOOK

My mate has a thai lisc because he mentioned he was in the blue book to me (havn`t physically seen this as it is his buisness I guess)

So i made enquiries at local Amphur with wife but still haven`t got around to it

I mainly want this to be together as a family (have son)