Plastigauge - Fast

LivinLOS

I am in need of a range of plastigauge and I need it ASAP, dont want to wait weeks while it comes in from Europe in the mail.

I have been round all of the engineering and automotive places I can find on Phuket and they either look at me like a dog thats just been shown a card trick, or otherwise cant help.

I mean how does anyone rebuild a bottom end, they just throw it together and hope I guess.

Someone somewhere in the country must have it, but enquires about crank rebuilds, bearing matching, in fact anything that has to happen down to 0.00x of a mm is just getting shaken heads and comments that this kind of level of work is not possible in Thailand, I was even told (by some engineering places) that no one in Thailand can rebuild a crank and only a handful can properly grind one !!! Anyway enough of my frustration on the lack of technical ability, where can I order a range of these gauges incountry right now ?? Someone in bangkok racing scenes HAS to know.

I have had 2 major bearing companies this morning both state these are not available and not used in Thailand..

How can something so basic, and pretty much essential, not be used ?? Saying that means no one in Thailand can properly fit a crank ??

Blowing my mind.

I am in need of a range of plastigauge and I need it ASAP, dont want to wait weeks while it comes in from Europe in the mail.

I have been round all of the engineering and automotive places I can find on Phuket and they either look at me like a dog thats just been shown a card trick, or otherwise cant help.

I mean how does anyone rebuild a bottom end, they just throw it together and hope I guess.

Someone somewhere in the country must have it, but enquires about crank rebuilds, bearing matching, in fact anything that has to happen down to 0.00x of a mm is just getting shaken heads and comments that this kind of level of work is not possible in Thailand, I was even told (by some engineering places) that no one in Thailand can rebuild a crank and only a handful can properly grind one !!! Anyway enough of my frustration on the lack of technical ability, where can I order a range of these gauges incountry right now ?? Someone in bangkok racing scenes HAS to know.

Sorry, can't help you with local sourcing but a couple suggestions:

-- do a Google for Thai race car shops, sure a lot of that going on, such as down Pattaya way at Bira Race course. Someone must build their engines.

-- Aircraft engine repairs? Private clubs and engine overhauls down towards Chon Buri, check out the www.thaiflyingclub.com web site. Locally, Bangkok area, check out the private aviation group, small airplanes, at Don Muang, they do engine stuff, have several Cessna 172s. Also the Cessna dealer: http://www.thaicessna.com/

-- Absent all these, bet this outfit from the U.S. could get you what you want in less than 10 days. I find that small packages from the U.S. take 6-7 days to get here: http://www.plastigaugeusa.com/pricelist.html Note they use "Global Priority Mail," now called "Flat Rate something," which is what my sister uses monthly to send magazines and small stuff here. So this company is familiar with overseas mailings. FYI, I've not had a problem with Thai Postal Customs.

Shipping Costs

We can ship your order just about anywhere. Minimum shipping cost for orders within the U.S. is $5.25 for Priority Mail with delivery confirmation and takes 2-3 days. Orders outside the U.S., under 4 pounds, are shipped via Global Priority Mail and take 4-6 days to most all parts of the world. 1-3 boxes shipped this way run approx. $15. Orders over 4 pounds outside the U.S. are shipped Airmail Parcel post.

Good luck!

Mac

Yeah I can get it from overseas easily enough but post monday (us or UK time) means I doubt I will see it next week.

I am just baffled that such a vital ingredient it completely missing.. But that says volumes about the way engines are rebuilt or what tolerances are acceptable here. Learning process on Thai engineering 101.

If anyone knows any race engine builders, or high spec mechanics, engineers, or anything connected with the bearing trades who has a lead I would be grateful.

I had been looking for days.. I only found them late last night by searching plastigauge singapore, then once found RS was able to backtrack to the RS thailand (which is in Thai) site..

Then as per usual with these kind of things, I got a PM from a helpful user this morning linking the same source. Thanks to them too.