Best French/italian Bread For Sandwich...

St. Etoile has the best baguettes and batards around, better than that I can buy in most other countries as well.  St. Etoile is a Yamazaki bakery, but one of the bakers told me the recipe is slightly different than that at the other Yamazaki bakeries.

I also like their Honolulu bread.

You can get reasonable French Bread at most Carrefours.

I'm sure there will be better available but not as widespread.

The only Italian break I can think of is Subway. I don't remember seeing a Ciabata or anything special anywhere. (but I don't live in the centre of Bangkok).

Edited by bkk_mike

You can get reasonable French Bread at most Carrefours.

I'm sure there will be better available but not as widespread.

The only Italian break I can think of is Subway. I don't remember seeing a Ciabata or anything special anywhere. (but I don't live in the centre of Bangkok).

Carrefour now carries ciabata in a variety of flavors (like Rosemary, olive, cheese).

They are excellent and cost about 57 baht for a half kilo loaf.

Edited by PaulDee

Thanks to you guys' recommendation here.... yesterday I found, took home and sampled a sliced loaf of cheese ciabatta bread from Carrefour OnNut...

It was about 45 baht and came in a sealed, tan-colored bread bag... They had a small table section of that and similar Western-style loafs all with the same style packaging tucked away at the end of the bread/baked goods section... Probably had walked past there a dozen times before and never noticed them, or never expected to find that kind of bread there.

Tried it at home toasted with some butter this morning for breakfast... Not bad... Not much of a cheese flavor at all. But the bread itself was OK... good texture and impression... much better than a lot of the wood pulp that passes for bread around these parts. I'd try another loaf and/or another variety, next time I'm shopping there...

By the way, Central Food Hall at CentralWorld is having a Taste of Italy event until the 27th of October... And in their promo brochure for people with SPOT rewards cards, they're advertising a trio of Italian sandwiches at the Central Bakery there for 140 baht (regularly 149 baht):

--Focaccia sandwich, with what looks like sliced eggplant

--ciabatta sandwich, with eggplant and a lot of other veggies, and

--panini sandwich, with what looks like salami, cheese and sliced tomatoes...

The descriptions don't detail in English what's in the three sandwiches, other than the breads used... Perhaps you can pick your own ingredients, but I didn't stop by the shop to check. However, the photos in the flyer show the ingredients that I've mentioned above, maybe just for illustrative purposes.

They're also advertising small loafs of ciabatta bread for 24 baht...regularly 28 baht, for card holders.

I need to post a follow-up to my previous post.  I usually buy my bread at the St. Etoile at the Mall Bang Khae. Well, I bought a batard at the St. Etoile and Central Rama 3, and it was not the same.  It was certainly adequate, but it really was a step down from my usual bread.