Reporting To Immigration Every 90 Days With An Extension Of Stay: But When Does 90 Days Run From If You Go Abroad Within That Period?

I was granted an extension to stay on retirement grounds on 28th July this year. There is a notice stapled in my passport warning me to notify my place of residence every 90 days and I should notify again on 26th October.

I know this is standard practice, but I think the immigration officer who dealt with my application to stay said I only needed to report 90 days after I returned from the UK. He was aware I was going to the UK on 5th August and returning to Thailand on 11th September, which meant I didn't need to report until early December. Is this correct?

I did obtain a multi-entry re-entry permit before leaving the immigration office at a cost of 3,800 baht and my passport has been date stamped 11th Sept, when I came back into Thailand from the UK.

If this is correct, I assume I can report a bit earlier than the 90 days, as I'm off to Pattaya and Bali from 5th December.

I am resident in Chiang Mai so CM Immigration dealt with all of this - and pretty efficiently too, I must add.

I was granted an extension to stay on retirement grounds on 28th July this year. There is a notice stapled in my passport warning me to notify my place of residence every 90 days and I should notify again on 26th October.

I know this is standard practice, but I think the immigration officer who dealt with my application to stay said I only needed to report 90 days after I returned from the UK. He was aware I was going to the UK on 5th August and returning to Thailand on 11th September, which meant I didn't need to report until early December. Is this correct?

I did obtain a multi-entry re-entry permit before leaving the immigration office at a cost of 3,800 baht and my passport has been date stamped 11th Sept, when I came back into Thailand from the UK.

If this is correct, I assume I can report a bit earlier than the 90 days, as I'm off to Pattaya and Bali from 5th December.

I am resident in Chiang Mai so CM Immigration dealt with all of this - and pretty efficiently too, I must add.

90 day reporting starts over again beginning with the day you arrived back in Thailand and is 90 days from that date, regardless of the date Immigration put on your entry form the last time you reported.

When you re-entry the kingdom your days count start a new.

I leave Thailand 2x year going home on a multi re-entry and only need to visit immigration 2x year, and if I visit neighbouring countries even less.

Chiang Mai, you beat me by 10 seconds :)

Edited by tartempion

When you re-entry the kingdom your days count start a new.

I leave Thailand 2x year going home on a multi re-entry and only need to visit immigration 2x year, and if I visit neighbouring countries even less.

Chiang Mai, you beat me by 10 seconds :)

Thanks for confirming what I believed the immigration officer told me. What a helpful chappy he was!

I did also add in my original query that I was off to Pattaya on 5th Dec, which is about 4 days prior to the 90 day reporting period. Counting from 11th Sept, when I got back from UK, I make the 90 days as up on 9th Dec. So assume it is ok to go to CM immigration office on say 4th Dec to get my passport stamped up?

That the days start again on re-entry is correct I am sure, but nothing ever seems certain.

I recently went to Pattaya Immigration to get a Re-entry stamp to return to UK.

I had reworked my 90 days from the date I returned from Cambodia and it fell 3 days short of my planned departure.

I enquired whether I still had to report on time.

The lady on Desk 8 checked my dates and demanded to know where my reporting slip was. I said I had no idea, but actually I'd removed it after re-entry (on the advice of another poster here somewhere) to avoid confusion and tidy up my passport when I subsequently applied for another extension.

I said that in any case the 90 days started again from my re-entry and the slip date was irrelevant.

She was not happy, told me that I still had to report on the slip date regardless and that I was now into overstay penalties.

By sheer good fortune, when she re-calculated, I still had 2 days to go before the slip date, so I did the report and all was well.

I told her I was going to UK and asked whether I should report 90 days after my return or on the slip date. Stupid Q - the slip date obviously.

So yes, I know you are right, but the lady at Pattaya Immigration doesn't appear to know about it.

But it must be mentioned that you have to report to immigration within 24 hours of returning to the Kingdom; that is when they will issue a new slip date to report 90 days thereafter.

Don't report back and you might get fined. :)

I didn't know that one and I've never done it on about 8 re-entries.

Does anyone do this?

On that basis the lady is right then. I go by the slip date regardless or I report within 24 hours and get a new slip?

Very few do that except (mostly from Hua Hin) where they dusted that law off so as not issue free address reports. Your arrival form is all that they want. And continue the 90 day reports when due. Immigration says arrival is day one of the 90 day period on there web site.

But it must be mentioned that you have to report to immigration within 24 hours of returning to the Kingdom; that is when they will issue a new slip date to report 90 days thereafter.

Don't report back and you might get fined. :)

I didn't know that one and I've never done it on about 8 re-entries.

Does anyone do this?

On that basis the lady is right then. I go by the slip date regardless or I report within 24 hours and get a new slip?

This was not mentioned by my friendly Chiang Mai Immigration Officer and as other posters have said this appears to be quite wrong, and as I've no intention of going to Pattaya Immigration I don't think I'll have a problem.

Who would live there if they interpret the law incorrectly? So glad I live in civilised CM!