Koh Chang By Bike

fatbastard68

Has anyone been to Koh Chang lately on their bike?

I've got a few days free and would love to go down there, I'm looking for a safe place to go with the bike for under a 1000 baht, thanks for any info lads !

The Eastern highway is good order and easy driving. Drive on Ferry across to Koh Chang is easy no problems with your bike. Roads on Koh Chang are narrow, windy and in places VERY steep but no problems for an experienced driver. I wouldnt reccomend to a novice driver. Nice drive around the Island tho with some great scenery.

Accomadation is plentiful and caters for all price bracketsThis time of year no need to book ahead.

Have a great trip.

Nice place, I really enjoyed it. It seemed to me to have 'el cheapo' 300b huts that didnt look maintained or clean or some very high end beautiful resort hotels. We stayed in Cookies in White Sands off season and it was 1000b B&B. Very good,clean and restaurant was great. With covered off street parking.

Enjoy

Dave

Has anyone been to Koh Chang lately on their bike?

I've got a few days free and would love to go down there, I'm looking for a safe place to go with the bike for under a 1000 baht, thanks for any info lads !

What sort of bike do you intend doing the trip on?

I certainly wouldn’t recommend the journey on a 125cc step-through.

Pattaya - Koh Chang……………….Depart on Highway 3 to Ban Chang - Rayong – Klaeng –Chantaburi - From Chantaburi follow the signs for Trat then head south (a fair distance) until you come across a junction sign-posted for the 3156 road. Turn right at this junction and follow the road for a number of kilometres until you arrive at the terminal where you board the ferry to the Island of Koh Chang.

The ferries run about every 30 minutes, the cost I forget but it’s not that expensive. The crossing time is around 40 minutes.

When you leave the ferry turn right and follow the road over the mountain until you come across civilisation from there on it’s your decision as to where you stay.

To me a 4-5 hour motorbike journey is a long ride and hits my limit, so plan your breaks and remember that things are more expensive once you’re on the island.

Be extremely careful on the Island roads and the most dangerous stretches are at the north and south ends of the island, with steep hairpin bends and S-curves. The middle part of the island, white sands to Kai Bae is not so bad apart for some steep hills. Be very careful at night as the roads are poorly lit and shadows can play havoc with your mind more so if you’ve had a few beers.

Not to mention unseen pot holes.

Bear in mind that like everywhere else in Thailand there are lots of accidents.

Personally.

I rode to Koh Chang three years ago on a Kawasaki boss 175cc to escape the madness of silly Songran in Pattaya as Koh Chang only celebrates the festival for three days and Koh Chang was declared ‘safe’ after the sixteenth.

I stayed for four nights which was just about right for me.

I received some bum information from a local expat on how far it was from Pattaya to the ferry terminal and working on that I took my time cruising along at eighty but found when I’d covered his mileage calculation I was only in Chantaburi and still a fair way from the ferry terminal.

The journey time to the ferry terminal depending on traffic, road-works etc, and how fast you travel will take somewhere between 4½-5½hrs allowing for a couple of short stops.

Hope this helps.

Was in Chang with my bike and well,, Like said earlier,, if you are in with BIG bike, be really carefull there, roads are narrow and traffic rules are not inforce there as in somany place in LOS,if it raisn,, take extra caution as rain really flows in the road and they are slippery.

I personally think that going Koh Chang with bike is only day trip as there is only 1 road(Main road), over night trip well yes but dont ride your bike during dark times in there, walking is best.

Also when you entering to ferry, get tickets from the booth and then just proceed front to the line like all bikes do, car's only wait in the line, this is the best part, you dont have to boil in the sun,, park it and sit in the waiting chairs there.

Where ever you ride there, take extra extra caution, it's tricky island if you not use to High steep hill's 180Dec bends.

Good luck to your trip

I have riden in Ko Chang on a rented bike, i went all aroudn the island, i must say sometimes it was real steep and a bit scary. I wonder if i would try it on a big bike (not too much experience about that). The island itself is great.

From Pattaya, it took us about 3 hrs with fuel stops and coffee breaks. The road is good and after Rayong, it becomes quite an enjoyable ride. The most dangerous part of the journey is on the island going up the hairpin turns, where drivers do not know how to downshift and go uphill.

I was going to do it about 2 weeks ago but the rain wouldn't stop so I took the bus. I would only do it during dry season if I was you. luckily I left my bike home for this trip as it rained everyday I was there.

Like some others have mentioned here... be super careful of the roads there. The road leading from the ferry across to the other side of the island is extremely dangerous and in bad repair. Take your time and try not to drive behind other cars tackling the hilly pass :)

>>I certainly wouldn’t recommend the journey on a 125cc step-through.<<

I did it on a Honda Wave 125cc and it was fine .Also did it on a Honda Phantom ,and arrived about one hour quicker .Mostly i do the trip in my Van though and it takes a minimum of 4 hours plus any breaks on the way .The ferry is a big drive on drive off boat ,and they leave every 30 minutes .

Seen a couple of expat types touring around on nice bikes recently, one guy on a red plate black ER6N and someone with a bike just like the one in MarcoH's avatar - Did you stay at Tiger Huts earlier this week?

No matey, havent been in Koh Chang abt an yr or so,,,and with my LT what is 420Kg heavy, that was Challenge, but like said, one time it's ok and i did not mind that but no reasson for ME to go again, im not island type person, i like roads :) what goes somewhere,,