Another Vhallenge For The Linux Geeks

thaimite

As my last post had zero responses I am hoping for a little more success this time with what I hope is an easier question.

Due to the fact I am using CAT CDMA with a USB dongle modem I am having to use my Ubuntu Box fror Internet connection sharing. This proved to be fairly easy to set up with Firestarter providng a wizard for just this purpose, but of course I am unhappy with the standard features and wish to take it one step further.

What I want to do is use some package or firewall rules to limit the connectivity of certain machines by time and possibly site. Ideally this filtering would be done using the MAC address.

Can somebody please point me to a package (or even a tutorial) that would make this configuration possible. I don't mind a bit of a learning curve as long it is not "Hockey-Stick" shape.

Currently the only way to stop my daughters browsing the net and to get on with their homework is for me to diconnect the network for all devices which causes other problems

As my last post had zero responses I am hoping for a little more success this time with what I hope is an easier question.

Due to the fact I am using CAT CDMA with a USB dongle modem I am having to use my Ubuntu Box fror Internet connection sharing. This proved to be fairly easy to set up with Firestarter providng a wizard for just this purpose, but of course I am unhappy with the standard features and wish to take it one step further.

What I want to do is use some package or firewall rules to limit the connectivity of certain machines by time and possibly site. Ideally this filtering would be done using the MAC address.

Can somebody please point me to a package (or even a tutorial) that would make this configuration possible. I don't mind a bit of a learning curve as long it is not "Hockey-Stick" shape.

Currently the only way to stop my daughters browsing the net and to get on with their homework is for me to diconnect the network for all devices which causes other problems

It'd be easiest if the daughters were also on Linux...but assuming they aren't (and I don't know why you wouldn't have them on it!), try Squid. This link will tell you how to configure Squid to block during a certain time.

It'd be easiest if the daughters were also on Linux...but assuming they aren't (and I don't know why you wouldn't have them on it!), try Squid. This link will tell you how to configure Squid to block during a certain time.

Thanks. That looks promising. Not least because of the name. Anything to do with food tends help solve family matters in Issan.

If all else fails some dried Pla Meuk under the keyboard may work wonders :)

Edited by thaimite

I use the firewall in my router so I don't use any firewall application in Ubuntu. One firewall application I came across offen is FiresStarter . I heard a lot of good things so I thought I will try it and it looks very good. Very easy to configure if you know some basic of how a firewall works. This is the article link to it Click .