Stabbing In Sukhumvit

mark5335

A word of warning - be weary walking along the west side of Soi 31 near the Hard Times Pub.

I live in a condo in Sukhumvit Soi 31, a street with fairly high security given that the PM's private residence is situated there.

Last night (Tues 20th) at about 7pm, one of my neighbours (an English chap, about 40 y/o) was walking up Soi 31 from Sukhumvit after his daily jog around Benjasiri Park.

Just before approaching the Hard Times Pub, whilst walking outside a Japanese karaoke lounge (Tsu Ki) where there was a group of 4 bouncers who were employed by the karaoke lounge, (this is next the catfish barbeque hawker stall for those who know the area) and were obstructing the side-walk. My neighbour asked them to step aside so he could continue walking. (Quite frankly, I would have stepped onto the road as I usually do at this end of Soi 31 as the side-walk gets rather cluttered).

Apparently, the bouncers took offence to my neighbour's request and the group started beating him up (seemingly unprovoked). One of them stabbed him across the chest and down his arm. The arm wound was very deep and required 5 hours of surgery in a nearby hospital to patch it up. He will be in hospital for a couple of nights and hopefully he will fully recover the use of his arm.

Ironically, the incident took place 150 metres from the PM's residence where approx. 15 of Thong Lo's finest Bandits In Brown are on guard 24/7. Apparently the BIB were hesitant to assist because their job is to "protect the PM only" and I guess it would inconvenience them to have to intervene and assist a sole farang under the attack of 4 bouncers, (the PM would unlikely to be at home by 7pm anyway?) . Eventually, a nearby shopkeeper was able to muster some help to stop the beating. My neighbour was later taken to a nearby hospital.

Upon the prompting of my neighbour's wife and his lawyer, the police have laid charges against 3 of the bouncers for assault and attempted murder. The hospital is providing a guard at outside his hospital room as the karaoke lounge owner and some staff tried to find him in the hospital. The bouncer who stabbed my neighbour absconded and as far as I'm aware has not yet been caught.

This incident is unlikely to be reported elsewhere as my neighbour's wife does not want the incident publicized. However, I believe TVers who frequent this area should be aware of this for their own safety.

Given the dodgy reputation of Thong Lo's finest, I doubt whether my friend will see proper justice done and the alleged attackers sent to jail. However, the hospital is providing good support & co-operation with the lawyer to assist with a prosecution.

Edited by mark5335

Jeez, lucky he survived and at least the b#$%ds are in custody. So many time they let them go without any questions. These bouncers seem to be problem all around nowadays.

In any case if his layer is good he will find out how much the owner is offering for the BiB and judge. Just double that and it should ensure proper jail time for them. You can always play their own game.

I was not there and did not see the scene and I also like to open my mouth when I dislike something, but I would,

so I think keep my mouth shut with 4 (strong?) man in my way and moved around them, if no other way possible.

I like to fight with arguments and words, best in my native language (Austrian-German) and with that men I would have seen that as impossible.

So for what get in an discussion that can easy end badly for me, as it did for that Gentleman.

Anyway, I wish him a good recovery.

Edited by ALFREDO

I was not there and did not see the scene and I also like to open my mouth when I dislike something, but I would,

so I think keep my mouth shut with 4 (strong?) man in my way and moved around them, if no other way possible.

I like to fight with arguments and words, best in my native language (Austrian-German) and with that men I would have seen that as impossible.

So for what get in an discussion that can easy end badly for me, as it did for that Gentleman.

Anyway, I wish him a good recovery.

I too wish him a speedy recovery.

It is however, further confirmation (if any were needed) that behind the smile many of these people are very sinister and very evil :)

Another good lesson: If you're a farang, you don't own the sidewalk in Thailand. :)

"My neighbor asked them to step aside....started beating him up (seemingly unprovoked)...." Something's missing between the two actions, there. I would love to have been a little mouse on the sidewalk to have heard the exact words and tone of voice used to spark this kind of violence.

This poor victim really needs to learn the basic cultural lessons about losing face and confrontation. Doesn't excuse the violence, but the initial incident could have been easily avoided with a slight deference to the culture. A good warning to all guests in Thailand.

Edited by toptuan

Hope he gets better soon.

I think there might be more to this than meets the eye. It's a pretty decent upmarket Soi and never known any violence there really. A lot of Japanese who generally don't cause a scene which begs the question why they need thug bouncers on soi 31 at a japanese only Karaoke....

It may have been the way it was said or the tone or the words used I feel. As most Thai's even the thug bouncers will move out the way with a polite excuse me in english or Thai.

It should still never have happened I just feel the full story has not been given by the guy or the wife.

Bearing in mind they were angry enough to stab a foreigner in the middle of a busy soi at the busiest time of day in full view of the PM's army security and a bunch of cops....

Edited by namoo

salutary lesson.

A word of warning - be weary walking along the west side of Soi 31 near the Hard Times Pub.

I live in a condo in Sukhumvit Soi 31, a street with fairly high security given that the PM's private residence is situated there.

Last night (Tues 20th) at about 7pm, one of my neighbours (an English chap, about 40 y/o) was walking up Soi 31 from Sukhumvit after his daily jog around Benjasiri Park.

Just before approaching the Hard Times Pub, whilst walking outside a Japanese karaoke lounge (Tsu Ki) where there was a group of 4 bouncers who were employed by the karaoke lounge, (this is next the catfish barbeque hawker stall for those who know the area) and were obstructing the side-walk. My neighbour asked them to step aside so he could continue walking. (Quite frankly, I would have stepped onto the road as I usually do at this end of Soi 31 as the side-walk gets rather cluttered).

Apparently, the bouncers took offence to my neighbour's request and the group started beating him up (seemingly unprovoked). One of them stabbed him across the chest and down his arm. The arm wound was very deep and required 5 hours of surgery in a nearby hospital to patch it up. He will be in hospital for a couple of nights and hopefully he will fully recover the use of his arm.

Ironically, the incident took place 150 metres from the PM's residence where approx. 15 of Thong Lo's finest Bandits In Brown are on guard 24/7. Apparently the BIB were hesitant to assist because their job is to "protect the PM only" and I guess it would inconvenience them to have to intervene and assist a sole farang under the attack of 4 bouncers, (the PM would unlikely to be at home by 7pm anyway?) . Eventually, a nearby shopkeeper was able to muster some help to stop the beating. My neighbour was later taken to a nearby hospital.

Upon the prompting of my neighbour's wife and his lawyer, the police have laid charges against 3 of the bouncers for assault and attempted murder. The hospital is providing a guard at outside his hospital room as the karaoke lounge owner and some staff tried to find him in the hospital. The bouncer who stabbed my neighbour absconded and as far as I'm aware has not yet been caught.

This incident is unlikely to be reported elsewhere as my neighbour's wife does not want the incident publicized. However, I believe TVers who frequent this area should be aware of this for their own safety.

Given the dodgy reputation of Thong Lo's finest, I doubt whether my friend will see proper justice done and the alleged attackers sent to jail. However, the hospital is providing good support & co-operation with the lawyer to assist with a prosecution.

Hope he gets better soon.

I think there might be more to this than meets the eye. It's a pretty decent upmarket Soi and never known any violence there really. A lot of Japanese who generally don't cause a scene which begs the question why they need thug bouncers on soi 31 at a japanese only Karaoke....

It may have been the way it was said or the tone or the words used I feel. As most Thai's even the thug bouncers will move out the way with a polite excuse me in english or Thai.

It should still never have happened I just feel the full story has not been given by the guy or the wife.

Bearing in mind they were angry enough to stab a foreigner in the middle of a busy soi at the busiest time of day in full view of the PM's army security and a bunch of cops....

Agree, as I read this it seems to me that there is something missing. I can only assume that your friend said something out of place to infuriate the bouncers. Why would they really attack just based on asking them to step aside. ? Also why did your friend ask them to move anyway, this request does not seem right given what you have explained. If walking down the footpath and it is blocked anywhere on Sukhumvit , you would normally not request the blocking party to step aside , you would exit to the road , pass the obstruction and then re-enter the footpath once safe to do so.

I certainly hope your friend makes a speedy recovery and this type of action is unacceptable , however I keep thinking this is thailand , for the most part the people are friendly enough and I don't know what would warrant such behaviour.

The BiB will eventually get there man, just wait a few days and he will come out.

GL :)

Another good lesson: If you're a farang, you don't own the sidewalk in Thailand. :)

"My neighbor asked them to step aside....started beating him up (seemingly unprovoked)...." Something's missing between the two actions, there. I would love to have been a little mouse on the sidewalk to have heard the exact words and tone of voice used to spark this kind of violence.

This poor victim really needs to learn the basic cultural lessons about losing face and confrontation. Doesn't excuse the violence, but the initial incident could have been easily avoided with a slight deference to the culture. A good warning to all guests in Thailand.

There is certainly a valid point. Whilst my neighbour has lived in Bangkok for about 7 years, in some respects he may not be as culturally sensitive as many other expats (notwithstanding he is married to a Thai). He is also far more confrontational than I am (& most others too I guess), and as a result there are instances where he his tone and body language could cause some locals to feel loss of face during his confrontations. I have heard this experience second hand this far...I will catch up with him in the next few days and fill in some of the gaps.

I also agree with the post by steven100 regarding blocked footpaths in Sukhumvit, in fact my wife and I always walk down the east side of Soi 31 in order to avoid the clutter, but as is often the case you need to step out into the road in order to navigate the many obstructions on the footpaths.

Edited by mark5335

There is certainly a valid point. Whilst my neighbour has lived in Bangkok for about 7 years, in some respects he may not be as culturally sensitive as many other expats (notwithstanding he is married to a Thai). He is also far more confrontational than I am (& most others too I guess), and as a result there are instances where he his tone and body language could cause some locals to feel loss of face during his confrontations. I have heard this experience second hand this far...I will catch up with him in the next few days and fill in some of the gaps.

I also agree with the post by steven100 regarding blocked footpaths in Sukhumvit, in fact my wife and I always walk down the east side of Soi 31 in order to avoid the clutter, but as is often the case you need to step out into the road in order to navigate the many obstructions on the footpaths.

bad news for your mate.

I too are what you may call 'culturally insensitive'. That means i respect that this is another country and we are guests. but i wont back down to thugs that think because you are a foreigner they can treat you like shit and get away with it. After 10+ years here married with a child, this 'thai culture' crap gets on my nerves. What culture exactly?? lying, cheating stealing, having a car accident and 'driver fled the scene? Last week i witnessed a 19 year old girl crossing the road, she was hit (with force) by a brand new pickup truck and sent flying. Did the cultural 'thais love thais' driver stop? no hit and run. 10 mins later 6 "we'll take you to hospital (and rob you on the way") rescue teams turned up and carted her off. no police attended the scene. A lot of this 'culture' crap is just a way for these mainly 'ignorant of others culture' thais to get away with what they want.

4 thais - one farang and they still needed a knife! with that much courage on show its amazing they got invaded by the burmese at all!

More than meets the eye brigade has duly arrived...

While i agree one should keep his mouth shut to avoid confrontation with these guys it is never ever reason to beat someone or to try to kill him due a comment, tone of voice or body language. To say it is Thai culture to get beaten up and stabbed for causing someone to lose face is utter cr#p.

Most Thai's do not consider losing their face in these situation and even if they do they are not going to kill you for it. Unfortunately there is always thugs around messed with steroids and yaba that will do this kind of stuff sometimes for the simple reason they do not happen to like your big nose.

None of us here know what actually happened, sure if the guy grabbed them and tried physically remove them from the sidewalk he was due for getting slapped but not stabbed. If it was only verbal it does not justify the actions of the thugs. So bit daft to put it for his fault being inconsiderate towards thai culture dont you think?

:)

First of all a speedy and full recovery to your friend.

The constant state of subliminal disposition to or for violence and using brutal force and willingness to cause someones death for trivia is not a problem only to western or european countries anymore, it is spread up all over the world by now due to the so called globalization. As the rich get rich, the poor gets more poor, the poor defend their left territory with major force especially when they get caught to lose their face because that sometimes all they got left.

Walking the streets of today you have walk in the "yellow" state of "causal awareness", seeing four bouncers like those should have alerted him immediately and forced himself to walk around them, would probably saved him from been beaten up and stabbed.

I am not easy to scare person but in face of danger outgoing from those guys, in time getting aware of them having immediately stepped down walked and around them. Under no circumstances try to argue with people like this. In our times you have to be on alert always, having a gameplan and avoid confrontation in advance as much as it is possible. Sometimes a question of ego.

I'd have to presume that the bouncers were provoked enough to react using a disproportionate level of force that us foreigners are not used to, but have to be aware of.

I was shocked to see a minor incident which could have resulted in a similar outcome a few days ago. The infamous Emporium GOM (see other threads) was walking over the footbridge from Exchange Tower to Asoke BTS station. Stopped on the bridge taking up half the width was a youngish Thai office guy plainly helping out some other visiting Asians by giving directions. He had an outstretched arm pointing for them to look. The GOM, instead of going round the group, continued in his line and as he got close to the guy pointing actually slammed down his arm and walked onwards without so much as an excuse me. Some foreigners carry all their homeland mannerisms and attitudes abroad, and sometimes it's going to slap them back in the face publicly.

This young guy in question was just embarrassed and shocked, as he was still giving the group directions and then suddenly walked off looking back at the GOM. Now if the GOM was the one who did that same thing to the bouncers on the pavement (which I have no doubt he would), then he wouldn't have got away with it.

I'd have to presume that the bouncers were provoked enough to react using a disproportionate level of force that us foreigners are not used to, but have to be aware of.

I was shocked to see a minor incident which could have resulted in a similar outcome a few days ago. The infamous Emporium GOM (see other threads) was walking over the footbridge from Exchange Tower to Asoke BTS station. Stopped on the bridge taking up half the width was a youngish Thai office guy plainly helping out some other visiting Asians by giving directions. He had an outstretched arm pointing for them to look. The GOM, instead of going round the group, continued in his line and as he got close to the guy pointing actually slammed down his arm and walked onwards without so much as an excuse me. Some foreigners carry all their homeland mannerisms and attitudes abroad, and sometimes it's going to slap them back in the face publicly.

This young guy in question was just embarrassed and shocked, as he was still giving the group directions and then suddenly walked off looking back at the GOM. Now if the GOM was the one who did that same thing to the bouncers on the pavement (which I have no doubt he would), then he wouldn't have got away with it.

:) It's nice to see that GOM is alive and well, hopefully he'll get his just deserts at some point. Whilst GOM might well have a good job and money, he clearly lacks any acceptable social skills.

Can somebody give me some direction to get to know more about that GOM.

maybe in other threads here on Thaivisa?

Thank you.

Explanation for GOM, please? General O..... Manager?

Thank you.

Well, you could go to The Oriental tea shop on most mornings and you will see The GOM in real life. There is a classic GOM thread which was posted by Carl previously, you should be able to find it by using the search funtion on the forum. I'm to lazy to find it for you. :)

GOM = Grumpy Old Man.

Can somebody give me some direction to get to know more about that GOM.

maybe in other threads here on Thaivisa?

Thank you.

Explanation for GOM, please? General O..... Manager?

Thank you.

Check out 'Embarrasment at the Grocery Store' thread on page 3. The link is in there. Well worth the long read. :)

-mrtoad-

Thanks, I will give it a try, first I follow the link from -smokie36-. I did not try the surch system for some time, but as far as I know it, it shows you as answer a lot and not easy to find out what you really look for.

-smokie36-

Thank you.

bad news for your mate.

I too are what you may call 'culturally insensitive'. That means i respect that this is another country and we are guests. but i wont back down to thugs that think because you are a foreigner they can treat you like shit and get away with it. After 10+ years here married with a child, this 'thai culture' crap gets on my nerves. What culture exactly?? lying, cheating stealing, having a car accident and 'driver fled the scene? Last week i witnessed a 19 year old girl crossing the road, she was hit (with force) by a brand new pickup truck and sent flying. Did the cultural 'thais love thais' driver stop? no hit and run. 10 mins later 6 "we'll take you to hospital (and rob you on the way") rescue teams turned up and carted her off. no police attended the scene. A lot of this 'culture' crap is just a way for these mainly 'ignorant of others culture' thais to get away with what they want.

4 thais - one farang and they still needed a knife! with that much courage on show its amazing they got invaded by the burmese at all!

i agree 110% thai way my ass; lie, cheat and steel and then cry foul

This just does not make sense.

1. could all we said was excuse me? And suddenly they beat him for fun? Does not make sense.

2. Even if he said excuse me very rudely, or even swore at them up and down, is it necessary to stab a guy when it's 4 on 1?

Makes no sense either side you look from, and I don't see how this can be twisted to blaming the foreigner, although it seems it would HAVE to be a result of an argument that the foreigner possibly started. Regardless, that doesn't necessitate a stabbing.

I know a guy like this.......he goes around causing confrontation with the locals, just like your friend did.

your friend was committing suicide by asking them to move......in our home countries would you ask 4 bouncers to move?

their job is all about standing around bored and waiting for some violence........and your friend gave them the excuse.

Edited by blubberboybob

The idea that the Thai can weigh their actions to a nicety before making a decision involving cognitive thought is reallly quite alien to them and incidents such as this bit of thuggery come as no surprise. However, I shouldn't read too much into the fact that the victim was a farang. If a local had provoked them as much as this chap clearly did then I should imagine the consequences would have been much the same.

The moral of the tale is to avoid conflict, particularly with strangers and never assume that violence meted out as a consequence of failing to observe this rule will be proportionate to the slight, imagined or otherwise. Thai don't do violence in half measures and can be beyond all reason when resorting to it. Remember, Thai and cognitive thought are not usually reconcilable.

Edited by Laganside

bull!

I picked up a great deal of flack when i posted that i carry a blade

here we have an example of why and it storys like this that cause me to continue to do so

was this a safe area?

these lowlifes are cowards, forget this face saving balony

if it had been me they would not of done this i am almost certain because it would be made clear and obvious that they would be getting very badly hurt if they continued

i know guys like this, real bottom of food chain, they run and hide when see the slightest chance that they will be getting their ass spanked

seems like they see a guy defenceless and take advantage

would they do that if they knew they could get hurt back?

the answer is no and thats why they have no 'face ' they are cowards

hope that he recovers soon

did he say anything to piss them of?

Straightdave, after reading your post I am now going to call you wonkydave! You sound like a pratt you really do. Why carry a blade? Is it not easier to avoid conflict in the first place? I have lived here for 6 years and never felt the need to carry a weapon! I bet money that most TV posters feel the same. If I sense a problem then I do the most sensible thing and that is to walk away from it. Don't get me wrong Dave, I can handle myself but I have grown up and don't feel the need to get involved in trouble anymore.

Please hurry up and make some <deleted> with the locals and pull your knife out!!!! It will make interesting reading on TV. Of course though, it will not be you writing about it as I doubt you'll have the chance. Hopefully a TV member will witness it.