Stabbing In Sukhumvit

mark5335

If you are going to carry a blade, then you have to be prepared to use it. Like most people with common sense will do , is try to avoid the situation. Whilst I can understand that some people are fearful of walking around, carrying a weapon is really not the answer, especially a knife.

Straightdave, after reading your post I am now going to call you wonkydave! You sound like a pratt you really do. Why carry a blade? Is it not easier to avoid conflict in the first place? I have lived here for 6 years and never felt the need to carry a weapon! I bet money that most TV posters feel the same. If I sense a problem then I do the most sensible thing and that is to walk away from it. Don't get me wrong Dave, I can handle myself but I have grown up and don't feel the need to get involved in trouble anymore.

Please hurry up and make some <deleted> with the locals and pull your knife out!!!! It will make interesting reading on TV. Of course though, it will not be you writing about it as I doubt you'll have the chance. Hopefully a TV member will witness it.

no need to be nasty or rude man

i think we actaully know each other too, are you an irish dude who works in a bar?

not have a chance....?

anyway i already have and the way it went perfectly illustrates why i carry- taxi driver was losing it big time and was starting the man dance with this farang, this farang was not asking for any trouble and could not handle any

the guy went back to his cab and got out a nasty steel rod,looked intent on using it too

i took my folding out and just showed it, not in a threatening way

that ended that

locals balony again, what is with you guys , the taxi driver was local

i do not look for trouble, nor make it,

amd last month, or maybe month before my buddy pulled his blade on yet another local who had pulled out 9mm

get this on a crowded street

and told him if he did not give it up, he was gonna yet hurt, the blade speaks!

he did like all these lowlife do, foreign ,local, etc, he knew better, he gave it up

you see there is no one rule, in these two cases that blade saved the day,

would you not agree? in both cases the optionof walking away was not there

i have always carried one, and would be kinda lost without it

i do think someone has to be socialy responsible, i agree up to point about avoiding when possible

reminds me of something we were taught

nobody wins a fight- one only survives

please take back you those comments, can we not disagree and still be polite man?

If you are going to carry a blade, then you have to be prepared to use it. Like most people with common sense will do , is try to avoid the situation. Whilst I can understand that some people are fearful of walking around, carrying a weapon is really not the answer, especially a knife.

well i am- and i have,

but i agree that most are not and do not know how to use one

this could be far worse than having one,

the knife, like a gun's main strengh ( in one way) is to prevent trouble by showing the bad guys that we have the ability to do defend ourselves and mean business

seeing that most bad guys are cowards this stops trouble most of the time, always has for me

in previous post i illustrated two examples

for ladys, nowadays i would recommend it and a mace spray

i understand your concern and i wish we all did not need to carry anything

well i am- and i have,

the knife, like a gun's main strengh ( in one way) is to prevent trouble by showing the bad guys that we have the ability to do defend ourselves and mean business

seeing that most bad guys are cowards this stops trouble most of the time, always has for me

I can't actually think of a worse weapon to carry as form of defence than a knife. :)

I do not think that showing an aggressor a knife is very smart. You lose the element of suprise.

A gun is different because it will be pointed at them ready to fire before they can get close enought to you to take it away, but you better be ready to pull the trigger if you have to.

well i am- and i have,

I am afraid that carrying is not the right move

I remember one of my instructors saying: if you carry , use it. Only determination will stop your opponent, not your intention.

The point is not to show what you have in hand as it might stop, for once, your attacker, but in any case he/she/they will wait for you wherever, whenever you don't expect it

For your own sake reconsider walking around with a knife

This could very easily have happened anywhere else in the world. Try doing that in a redight district anywhere in Europe.

I feel sorry for your friend, a horrible thing to happen.

The thing to remember is that in more traditional countries, schools do not teach the 'always talk about problems' liberal mantra. In most parts of the world you can't shout off your mouth and expect to get away with it. Some Japanese martial artist teacher recently said something like 'all of mans business is bloody, modern men expect conflict to end with words, but they rarely do'.

Really, don't shoot of your mouth if you're not prepared to fight.

bull!

I picked up a great deal of flack when i posted that i carry a blade

here we have an example of why and it storys like this that cause me to continue to do so

was this a safe area?

these lowlifes are cowards, forget this face saving balony

if it had been me they would not of done this i am almost certain because it would be made clear and obvious that they would be getting very badly hurt if they continued

i know guys like this, real bottom of food chain, they run and hide when see the slightest chance that they will be getting their ass spanked

seems like they see a guy defenceless and take advantage

would they do that if they knew they could get hurt back?

the answer is no and thats why they have no 'face ' they are cowards

hope that he recovers soon

did he say anything to piss them of?

Perhaps the last question you asked was the one you should have asked first.

To summarize your approach to living in Thailand: "dam_n the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

well i am- and i have,

Dave, you remind me of the kids I used to work with in the States, who tended to think they were invincible. You're not the baddest bloke on the block. To be honest -- and I'm not hoping it happens -- you're one of those guys who is more likely to end up beat up or dead in some alley or floating in a klong.

One of them stabbed him across the chest and down his arm. .

sounds more like a slashing then a stabbing. could it have been a broken bottle or some other weapon that came to hand during an impromptu altercation?

they don't sound like knife wounds from the description given.

the man involved seems to lack awareness. if four bouncers are stood in your way then just walk around them, unless you are ready for serious violence. that is their job, that is what they are waiting for so what's the point. four against one are never odds you want to engage in unless it is absolutely unavoidable.

Hi Dave. I do not mean it to sound rude, and am sorry if I offended you. But mate, you get my point though? Leave the blade at home before you get in the <deleted>.

I'm not the Irish guy you are talking about but I know who you mean.

no need to be nasty or rude man

i think we actaully know each other too, are you an irish dude who works in a bar?

not have a chance....?

anyway i already have and the way it went perfectly illustrates why i carry- taxi driver was losing it big time and was starting the man dance with this farang, this farang was not asking for any trouble and could not handle any

the guy went back to his cab and got out a nasty steel rod,looked intent on using it too

i took my folding out and just showed it, not in a threatening way

that ended that

locals balony again, what is with you guys , the taxi driver was local

i do not look for trouble, nor make it,

amd last month, or maybe month before my buddy pulled his blade on yet another local who had pulled out 9mm

get this on a crowded street

and told him if he did not give it up, he was gonna yet hurt, the blade speaks!

he did like all these lowlife do, foreign ,local, etc, he knew better, he gave it up

you see there is no one rule, in these two cases that blade saved the day,

would you not agree? in both cases the optionof walking away was not there

i have always carried one, and would be kinda lost without it

i do think someone has to be socialy responsible, i agree up to point about avoiding when possible

reminds me of something we were taught

nobody wins a fight- one only survives

please take back you those comments, can we not disagree and still be polite man?

well i am- and i have,

I can't actually think of a worse weapon to carry as form of defence than a knife. :)

you know what

it aint nice at all wish it was not like this

but whatdayado?

seems like its the only thing the lowlifes understand

raw nasty in your face - try it and this is what ya gonna yet

that seems to stop 'em

has for me so far

well i am- and i have,

Dave, you remind me of the kids I used to work with in the States, who tended to think they were invincible. You're not the baddest bloke on the block. To be honest -- and I'm not hoping it happens -- you're one of those guys who is more likely to end up beat up or dead in some alley or floating in a klong.

you are hoping it happens i think i know your type

the first to scream help when trouble hits and the first to put the person who helped down

were you an officer by any chance?

lighten up man, we're all brothers here, lets discuss this like adults, maybe we can see where we're coming from

these are some facts;

i will try to avoid bragging - to date i am no longer young ( still goodlooking) and i am still alive

for sure i am not the baddest guy ( other than to my poor suffering lady and a really dumb macho term) but i am a guy who is not going to let the scum walk all over me or others

why should i ?

the Lord ( or whoever)gave us a choice to act for the good or do nothing

that is in fact actiing for the badguys

one has to consider ones moral compass, mine says this do your best, do what you feel is right

are you happy when you see some punks walk all over some dude because they know and believe me they do, that most will just walk on by

okay, for example recently, i was walking down a busy intersection, this smart young business lady on her lunch i guess

minding her own business has her breasts and vagina area touched by two hoodlums this in the middle of business area they mocked her it made me sick to my gut

she was mortified, she cried out and i could clearly hear ' shut the f up or we'll XXX ya' from these punks

over to you buddy what would you do? these were big guys,

leave it, walk on by, afterall you got things to do right?

yeah, lets all do the modern thing and not give dam_n

it would be really bad and the sign of a madman to charge in fxxx those guys up,call the cops,be a witness that lead to a successful prosecution( but a crazy low time in the slammer),

and show that lady that soemone cares would'nt it?

you do not know her, it aint your business, lets the cops deal with it

you can guess what i did, i betcha they will think twice about doing that again

it makes me darn sick these rats know that most of us care about only one thing =ourselves

you better beleive it too

and if the good Lord deems it such that i lose my life (as i very nearly did once) doing this, then so be it

right now i aint swimming in no klong and i been in and out of this region for years

and plenty of bad guys have received a good ass whipping

i guess i am sounding like redneck here

off to convince myself that 100 pipers is as good as blue label!

Does anyone else wish Dave and Onnut would spend less time talking about carrying knives and more time learning how to write properly, use punctuation now and again, and while I am asking, separate your writing a bit by the use of paragraphs. :)

I think it's about time someone got a grip of Thailand especially Pattaya and Phuket! Fully armed Soldiers, and Police squads complete with whatever weapons they may need to quell the ongoing terrifying activites. Firearms, CS Gas, Taser guns, Bullet proof vests, ballisitc helmets, and shields who would be on mobile patrol at all of the trouble making hot spot areas 24/7. This is the job that they are paid to do. We don't want to, read, hear or see some dead hero farangs having died for having a go at these low lifes.

Zero tolerance behaviour!

Edited by Pitbullman1

Does anyone else wish Dave and Onnut would spend less time talking about carrying knives and more time learning how to write properly, use punctuation now and again, and while I am asking, separate your writing a bit by the use of paragraphs. :)
That kind of stuff does drive me nuts. Still, could be non-native speakers named Dave and, wait, nevermind. Not as bad as the people who set their font to some abrasive typeface and bold everything in a giant font.

A feeling of dejavue. I seem to recall attempting to discourage the discussion of carrying knives & attempting to use them for whatever purpose only a week ago.

Despite what some members appear to think, most people will get themselves into more trouble (probably killed) than it is worth carrying a knife in Thailand.

Straightdave - the next suggestion of taking a knife and provoking a fight on Thai Visa will earn you a posting holiday.

You may be able to handle yourself, however, how would you feel if some young first time traveler buys a knife at a roadside market stall because straightdave told him it was the smart thing to do, gets drunk, pull's it during an altercation and gets himself shot or throat cut?

Please read Thai Visa forum rules.