Motorbike License For Visitors

scudman

What are all the visitors to Thailand who rent motorbikes doing for a license?

I see lots of police stops here on Phuket, with the boys in brown writing tickets for no helmets and no licenses I assume.

What do tourists do? Pay the fine or whatever and be done with it or is there some legal temporary permit from the motorbike rental company?

Edited by scudman

I see lots of police stops here on Phuket, with the boys in brown writing tickets for no helmets and no licenses I assume.

What do tourists do? Pay the fine or whatever and be done with it or is there some legal temporary permit from the motorbike rental company?

No legal temporary license from the motorbike companies. Usually the bike rental people don't ask for a DL, only a passport. Only give them a copy or go rent somewhere else if they insist. You really should keep your passport with you as is the law, and the BIB have been reported as having used this to extort money from tourists.

Most tourists have and use a drivers license from their home country which will work here due to international convention. I even know guys that have ID cards, not even a drivers licenses, which they present to the BIB when stopped with no problems. I don't recommend that tho.

Before you rent, make sure the bike has a current tax/insurance disc displayed somewhere. Its the pink square sticker with 2552 or 2553 on it. It will be difficult to tell if the disc is out of date unless it expires next year (2009=2552, 2010=2553 etc.) because the month is written in Thai. Just ask if your not sure and if it is expired they may decide to rent you a different bike, or they may just lie to you.

For the BIB, as long as the driver wears a helmet, (legally all passengers have to wear one, but it's only enforced on the driver in Phuket, sometimes it's enforced on all in Bangkok) have a DL from your home country, or even one of these scam international drivers licenses (the BIB don't know the difference) , or the slightly more legit international drivers permit (which is just a translation of your existing current license), current tax disc, and passport, you should be OK.

Edited by Scubabuddha

An IDP or International Driving Permit is the 'legal' thing you need to drive if you dont have a Thai license.

The reality is Thai police accept almost any driving license, often due to language issues people get away with any old photocard, I know someone used a diving license as a joke and a buddy used to have a video store ID card that he used to hand them first to see if they twigged. They often accepted it !!

An IDP or International Driving Permit is the 'legal' thing you need to drive if you dont have a Thai license.

The reality is Thai police accept almost any driving license, often due to language issues people get away with any old photocard, I know someone used a diving license as a joke and a buddy used to have a video store ID card that he used to hand them first to see if they twigged. They often accepted it !!

BIB: "Oh..'Blockbuster' Is that nice place?"

LiLos, have you ever heard of a situation where an International Driving Permit was required? Any license from the country's which signed the 1926, 49 or 68 International Convention of Road Traffic honors the other counties licenses. We all know International Drivers Licenses don't legally exist and are a scam. But similarly, the IDP is just a translation document, which makes things easier when dealing with the locals, but provides no additional rights. Bit of a misnomer to call it a "permit" really. I am somewhat familiar with IDP's as I was a Police officer in the states for 7 years. If the license is in English, (as Thai license are, at least mine is) then it really isn't necessary. IDP's are nothing more than translations of licenses that are already honored by international convention.

Discussed ad nauseum here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Internationa...dp-t235338.html

Edited by Scubabuddha

I've been helm-checked a few times, but they never asked me for a driving license. I don't think they care.

I once had no ID whatsoever - the policeman writing the helmet check tickets got a little annoyed and said with a sigh "OK. Then you have to write down your name for me here.". The only reason they even want an ID is so they can copy your name onto the ticket. TIT!

As to what most tourists do, it should suffice to observe and draw your own conclusion. E.g. at the motorbike shop, before they take off, the helpful owner explains: "Throttle on this side, go faster. Brake on this side, go slower. Careful!" Then they take off and it's not uncommon that they hit the wall opposite the rental shop.

Edited by nikster

I've been helm-checked a few times, but they never asked me for a driving license. I don't think they care.

I once had no ID whatsoever - the policeman writing the helmet check tickets got a little annoyed and said with a sigh "OK. Then you have to write down your name for me here.". The only reason they even want an ID is so they can copy your name onto the ticket. TIT!

Here in Phuket I get helmet checked almost daily, and sometimes asked for DL. One ticket I got years ago the cop never asked for ID, just wrote it to "Mr. Joe" and took my keys.

....it's not uncommon that they hit the wall opposite the rental shop.

The one accident I have had was a couple Italian birds pulled out of the shop they rented a brand new Honda Click, gunning it, slam right into the back of my Honda Wave from the side despite my best effort to avoid them. They went down hard, lotsa road rash. Somehow I stayed up, riding the bike like a bucking bronco. They haden't rented it 20 seconds before coming off. Probably cause the tiny girl was driving with fat girl on the back, momentum just to much for the driver. :)

BIB: "Oh..'Blockbuster' Is that nice place?"

LiLos, have you ever heard of a situation where an International Driving Permit was required? Any license from the country's which signed the 1926, 49 or 68 International Convention of Road Traffic honors the other counties licenses. We all know International Drivers Licenses don't legally exist and are a scam. But similarly, the IDP is just a translation document, which makes things easier when dealing with the locals, but provides no additional rights. Bit of a misnomer to call it a "permit" really. I am somewhat familiar with IDP's as I was a Police officer in the states for 7 years. If the license is in English, (as Thai license are, at least mine is) then it really isn't necessary. IDP's are nothing more than translations of licenses that are already honored by international convention.

Discussed ad nauseum here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Internationa...dp-t235338.html

I was told by an insurance company a while back, that you must have either a Thai driving license or an IDP (and the home country license it is based on) to have valid Thai insurance, they would not be paying out without it. No valid Thai insurance = not legal on the road.

So yes there seems to me a clear situation where the IDP is necessary. Not trying to argue about it, thats simply my thinking on the issue.

Perhaps if you can get a Thai insurer to agree in writing they are happy with the home country license alone, then this thinking isnt correct. But thats my logic in a country where the law, and enforcement of law are 2 totally different things.

I'd be somewhat worried in case you have a big insurance claim and the insurance would rather get out of it, then they may look at your driving license. I have a Thai driving license for the car for that reason. But I don't know of any actual cases - would be interesting to know.

I've not been asked to produce a license for minor repair work (1st class insurance)...

Lilos, I'm not trying to argue either, I usually yeild to your usually superior knowledge. It's just that I am always seeing people asking about the IDP and scam IDL on here and I have yet to hear of a situation where they actually needed one. When I had to learn about these in the academy, granted it was a few years ago, the conclusion clearly was that they were useless. I guess it wouldn't hurt if you can get the translation document for very little time, money, and trouble, but my big issue with them is the fact they call them "permits" when they absolutely are not. They are just a translation of your current license. Period. They don't "permit" you to do anything your current foreign license doesn't already do. Both IDP and scam IDL producing companies mislead the consumer to think this is something they need. It isn't. Just bring your valid license from home, and if you are going to stay in another country more than a few months, get a DL from the country you are visiting or living in. An insurance company might try to get out of paying because this is Thailand and there are dishonest people everywhere trying to make or save a buck, but legally they can't do anything simply because you aren't carrying a translation of your internationally accepted drivers license? Come on, that's ridiculous.

Edited by Scubabuddha

I was told by an insurance company a while back, that you must have either a Thai driving license or an IDP (and the home country license it is based on) to have valid Thai insurance, they would not be paying out without it. No valid Thai insurance = not legal on the road.

So yes there seems to me a clear situation where the IDP is necessary. Not trying to argue about it, thats simply my thinking on the issue.

Perhaps if you can get a Thai insurer to agree in writing they are happy with the home country license alone, then this thinking isnt correct. But thats my logic in a country where the law, and enforcement of law are 2 totally different things.

Right, no IDP -> big problems if accident. A thai driving license is the best way for permanent residents.

Foreign driving license have no value. Believe it or not.

Edited by Dontdisturb

Right, no IDP -> big problems if accident. A thai driving license is the best way for permanent residents.

Foreign driving license have no value. Believe it or not.

No I don't believe it, because you are wrong. I can't imagine why you would purposefully spread false information like that unless you are involved in the scam IDL or IDP business perhaps? Your just messing with me huh?

Lilos, I'm not trying to argue either, I usually yeild to your usually superior knowledge. It's just that I am always seeing people asking about the IDP and scam IDL on here and I have yet to hear of a situation where they actually needed one. When I had to learn about these in the academy, granted it was a few years ago, the conclusion clearly was that they were useless. I guess it wouldn't hurt if you can get the translation document for very little time, money, and trouble, but my big issue with them is the fact they call them "permits" when they absolutely are not. They are just a translation of your current license. Period. They don't "permit" you to do anything your current foreign license doesn't already do. Both IDP and scam IDL producing companies mislead the consumer to think this is something they need. It isn't. Just bring your valid license from home, and if you are going to stay in another country more than a few months, get a DL from the country you are visiting or living in. An insurance company might try to get out of paying because this is Thailand and there are dishonest people everywhere trying to make or save a buck, but legally they can't do anything simply because you aren't carrying a translation of your internationally accepted drivers license? Come on, that's ridiculous.

While I understand your point I think you are looking at it from the perspective of the english speaking world. What 'we' would accept and exporting that thinking to the rest of the world.

EG the license is accepted, so you dont need the IDP all it is is merely a 'translation'. But if your license is not in english (or worse romanized script), or the country your driving in is not one which reads english script, the IDP is required to make your license understandable. I think many countries INSIST in the IDP not just as a translation (which the IDL is) done by anyone, it has to be done by a formal body / motoring association like the AA etc.

As I said elsewhere I would get nowhere waving my old style Thai DL (with no english text on it, being the old self laminated home made looking jobbers) to a UK cop, but I can show him my Thai IDP clearly showing I have a motorcycle license which I dont have on my english one.

If you look at http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1179.html the clearly state "Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP). IDPs are honored in more than 150 countries outside the United States" which seems to say the same.

I get your point that if its just a translation then why is it needed, and that in the west we focus on the license not the translation of t5he license, but I dont think thats how it works everywhere.

https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overs...by-country.html

This page claims that the IDP is "required" for UK license holders to drive in Thailand. Now we all know on the ground you can use a UK license, thats not what I am saying. But this is how its presented as being non optional. They even list countries where it is only "recommended".

Edited by LivinLOS

Yeah thats a good point about the perspective. I had thought about that. Firstly, this is an English speaking board and so most of us will be looking at it from that perspective, and, B: This is all determined by international convention, so it really shouldn't matter what perspective your coming from, the rules are supposed to be the same for all. That is an interesting site, the UK AA one. It's strange how when you do more searching, as I did before, you find tons of contradictory information out there on where an IDP is likely needed. Interesting to see footnote B: "Women are not permitted to drive" Scary stuff.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Yeah thats a good point about the perspective. I had thought about that. Firstly, this is an English speaking board and so most of us will be looking at it from that perspective, and, B: This is all determined by international convention, so it really shouldn't matter what perspective your coming from, the rules are supposed to be the same for all.

I would interpret that differently.. Meaning each country has its own laws, and they all sign up to the international convention (of which the IDP is) to accept that document also.

So some countries (like the US and from the link earlier the UK) accept the license from overseas anyway, without the IDP, but some countries dont, they drew up to the IDP convention to solve that very issue.

Not sure if what I am thinking is making sense as I type, but it sounds good in my head :) I seem to remember to drive in India I was told the IDP was essential also, that was why I got my Thai one to do the Rickshaw rally.

• 4 months later...
I get stopped a few times a week in BKK and my U.S license always seems to be good enough. I still need to get around to getting my Thai license

What is the issue with Bangkok? Are you getting stopped for not wearing a helmet or just because you are a foreigner? I assume you pay a 200 to 400 baht fine each time they stop you.

I was considering renting a bike in Bangkok.

I am an experienced rider. I also have an IDP (which probably doesn't add any value). I have easily ridden in Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Phuket (though the Phuket vacationers are some of the worst riders). I have no problem riding in traffic and not worried about Thai motorcycle riders. Most are predictable riders so I can avoid problems such as riding on the wrong side of the road, making u-turns at any time, driving too fast, driving to slow, making turns from any lane, etc :)

I get stopped a few times a week in BKK and my U.S license always seems to be good enough. I still need to get around to getting my Thai license

What is the issue with Bangkok? Are you getting stopped for not wearing a helmet or just because you are a foreigner? I assume you pay a 200 to 400 baht fine each time they stop you.

Oh no the cops take money from Thais and foreigners alike. They'll make up reasons for their demands sometimes, but being a foreigner isn't amongst those. Why limit yourself to farangs when there's 1000x as many Thai motorcyclists to rip off? They might ask you for more money, but they'll be OK if you happen to only have 100 baht on you...

In Pattaya this year at X-mas time I saw the Police stopping people for no helmets then checking for licenses at the same time. Most tourists only had the licence from their home country and the police did not accept this, they had an International Driving Permit that they would show the driver and say 'must have this one'..... I would assume that any travel insurance may be denied for tourists renting a scooter without the international driving licence upon having an accident?

My Thai friend got stopped twice to check for licence (he had no licence at the time) and registration in December and they withheld his ID card until he paid the fine at the police station only then returning his ID card.

I also saw many times when the police would keep the bike and keys until the Farang would come back from the police station with evidence he/she had paid the fine.

There are international agreements between counties that choose to participate but applying for a IDP in the USA I was told that it would be accepted in Thailand and that my CDL would not. When I asked if my wife should apply for the IDP in Thailand to drive in the US I was told "NO, California does not accept an IDP or any other foreign licence ONLY a CDL and even an out of state licence is only good for short time".

I was stopped last week by the highway police, because I was laying in right line and not left (there where almost no cars on the road and i was passing some at the moment). Was asked to show my driver license. Only got license for norway, and thats only for car. He started yelling, jo need international license, you got ticket. Ended up paying him 300 baht, and no more problem. I was not driving scooter, but 750 cc honda magna.

I was stopped last week by the highway police, because I was laying in right line and not left (there where almost no cars on the road and i was passing some at the moment). Was asked to show my driver license. Only got license for norway, and thats only for car. He started yelling, jo need international license, you got ticket. Ended up paying him 300 baht, and no more problem. I was not driving scooter, but 750 cc honda magna.

So do you ride in Norway without a bike license? Your lucky the copper didn't realise you didn't have a motorcycle license, as the fine may have gone into grey coloured baht notes territory. :)

Edited by Garry

Just a point on the IDP being used as a translation document,i have one and there is no Thai text in it at all.

I have been stopped before and asked for my licence which i duly supplied (uk licence),he then thinking he was smart asked for my "international" same as the previous poster,to which i pulled out of the glove box...this really pissed him off.And he just walked away and put his hand up.

As I Drove past him i pulled my Thai licence out of my wallet and he started laughing."have many" was his response.

I felt like saying ....yes because of thieving bastards like you i have to cover my arse.

Just a point on the IDP being used as a translation document,i have one and there is no Thai text in it at all.

I have been stopped before and asked for my licence which i duly supplied (uk licence),he then thinking he was smart asked for my "international" same as the previous poster,to which i pulled out of the glove box...this really pissed him off.And he just walked away and put his hand up.

As I Drove past him i pulled my Thai licence out of my wallet and he started laughing."have many" was his response.

I felt like saying ....yes because of thieving bastards like you i have to cover my arse.

Yeah, I've never seen the IDP change much in years and still has five core translation languages plus the issuing country language. Since I get mine regularly in the Middle East, the first page is in standard Arabic. I'm wondering if you were to obtain one through the automobile club in Thailand (is there one?), then I would imagine that Thai script maybe on the first white page. :D I know its kind of pointless having the info in Thai as it is meant for local (Thailand) acquirers of the IDP going abroad. It's too bad you couldn't nominate specific country translation pages where you most frequent and the automobile club could print the IDP accordingly, but that would make sense. :)

edit: Tahiland has an automobile club. website info: Royal Automobile Association of Thailand

Edited by Garry

I have the IDL obtained from australia andit too has no thai text.,

Most times when pulled up i neverget asked to show a licence just pay tea money which i argue and sometimes get let off or pay 100 to 200 baht.

In and near the village i live they normally have a road block going to the main town,i get stopped many times have a chat normally ask where i am going i just say i go bank kranuan,andthey have never asked for money and been very polite,but in and around pattaya always haveto pay.

I just wanted to answer the person who asked me if I drive in norway with out a license. No, I don't drive in norway with out license. The difference between thailand and norway, is that we have license for big bikes, thailand have just one license, and thats for scooters. If you have the scooter license you are allowed to drive everything on two wheels in thailand. I'm doing nothing more illigal than the rest of tourists that driving arround on scooters without license, it just sounds a little bit worse on paiper. Going to get thai license next trip,(need bether visa then visa on arrival).

I just wanted to answer the person who asked me if I drive in norway with out a license. No, I don't drive in norway with out license. The difference between thailand and norway, is that we have license for big bikes, thailand have just one license, and thats for scooters. If you have the scooter license you are allowed to drive everything on two wheels in thailand. I'm doing nothing more illigal than the rest of tourists that driving arround on scooters without license, it just sounds a little bit worse on paiper. Going to get thai license next trip,(need bether visa then visa on arrival).

Hey, that person would be me. I don't seem to remember you stating that you had a scooter license in Thailand. So what license are you using legally to ride a scooter in Thailand? :)

QUOTE (norwaygeir @ 2010-03-12 17:14:01)

Yeah, I've never seen the IDP change much in years and still has five core translation languages plus the issuing country language. Since I get mine regularly in the Middle East, the first page is in standard Arabic. I'm wondering if you were to obtain one through the automobile club in Thailand (is there one?), then I would imagine that Thai script maybe on the first white page. :D I know its kind of pointless having the info in Thai as it is meant for local (Thailand) acquirers of the IDP going abroad. It's too bad you couldn't nominate specific country translation pages where you most frequent and the automobile club could print the IDP accordingly, but that would make sense. :)

edit: Tahiland has an automobile club. website info: Royal Automobile Association of Thailand

Yes the Thai IDP has page 1 in Thai..

Also if you get an IDP in your home country, even without a bike license they stamp the section "Motor cycles, with or without a side-car, invalid carriages and three wheeled motor vehicles with an unladen weight not exceeding 400 kg (900 lbs) " so that is what a tourist should do.

I must have 10 in a drawer issued from 3 countries and they have all been stamped with that, the only country I have done a bike license in is Thailand.