Opening Paypal Account With Thai Debit Card

Before opening a new bank account with Krung Sri Ayudhya specifically for, hopefully, using Paypal - i would like to ask whether i can open a Paypal account with a Thai bank account and Debit Card from Krung Sri.

I will only need PayPal for incoming transfer, not outgoing.

Thanks in advance for details.

Before opening a new bank account with Krung Sri Ayudhya specifically for, hopefully, using Paypal - i would like to ask whether i can open a Paypal account with a Thai bank account and Debit Card from Krung Sri.

Last I checked,debit card for Paypal is only for US and Canada.

Sorry you cannot use Paypal with Debit Cards in Thailand. You need a bonafide Credit Card. I have researched this with most banks and Paypal directly.

Not sure about krung .. but

I have a paypal account registered in Thailnad using my name using a Thai Bank

I opened a Bank of Bangkok savings account

The ATM card the issued me also works as a visa card and I was

able to use this to open a paypal account

Don't want to hijack this tread but I have seen many topics regarding this issue in the past.

My question is as followed.I have a paypal account which is linked to my visa card from a european bank.I notice when I pay some bills the exchange to the foreign currency is handled by visa and not paypal.

Is it possible for me to transfer money from my account in europe to an account in my name with a thai bank while avoiding transfer costs.

Contradicting reports.... :) My current ATM card from Krung Sri says Visa on it all right.

I also read, though, unclear, that via internet banking from Thailand you can get Paypal.

On other ideas on this.... anyone?

Edited by ThaiEye

Contradicting reports.... :) My current ATM card from Krung Sri says Visa on it all right.

I also read, though, unclear, that via internet banking from Thailand you can get Paypal.

On other ideas on this.... anyone?

I thing it says visa electron on your thai atm card which is something different as a visa card.

The answer to your question is "YES". In your 'Paypal account you simply set up a bank account (any bank account). Their instructions are easy to follow so I won't list them here. I think the information they provide is quite adequate. Simply you transfer money from one bank account into your PayPal account and then into any other bank account you have set up. Goes both directions, of course with charges. Charges vary but usually very low. When you set up an account they send two small amounts for which you verify. Once that's done, your all set. BUT!!! transfer times take days. You can use a credit card for instant transfer but beware they charge you a lot! I avoid it.

With BB you can use your ATM on the Internet but you need to do a "security verification" where you get both a password and pin number. And you always have to enter that info each and every time you use it. There was no charge to set mine up. I forget how it got initiated.

Also with PayPal be extra careful and watch it like a hawk. There have been many reports of hacking. If you don't have their security dongle (about $20us I think) you should get one. hope that answers your question. I've no problems in the last year except for the delay. They even notify you by email on transactions if you request it.

i would like to ask whether i can open a Paypal account with a Thai bank account and Debit Card from Krung Sri.

Not sure with the bank you mention.

To get your paypal account verified (this lifts sending and receiving limits, as well as marks your account as "verified" for everybody to see) paypal will charge your card with a small amount.

Along with the charge they will send an "extended use" code, which you will have to retrieve from your bank, as debit cards do not get a monthly statement.

With Bangkok bank this is easy to do by calling them, but again, not sure how cooperative Krung Sri would be.

After that you can attach your bank account to your paypal account and withdraw money from your paypal into your Thai bank.

I have done it in this order, so I would not know if it would be possible to withdraw to your bank account before your account is verified.

Sorry you cannot use Paypal with Debit Cards in Thailand. You need a bonafide Credit Card. I have researched this with most banks and Paypal directly.

Sorry, completely wrong info. You have researched wrong!

Many people (members here, including myself) have used their Thai Debit cards to do this.

With Bangkok bank I used the Be1st debit card.

Many members also use the Kasikorn bank, where they registered for internet banking, applied for the virtual credit card and used that to verify their account.

Don't want to hijack this tread but I have seen many topics regarding this issue in the past.

My question is as followed.I have a paypal account which is linked to my visa card from a european bank.I notice when I pay some bills the exchange to the foreign currency is handled by visa and not paypal.

Is it possible for me to transfer money from my account in europe to an account in my name with a thai bank while avoiding transfer costs.

Yes.

You can open a Thai paypal account, and then send money from your European account to your Thai account without any costs or fees.

If I recall correctly when registering I had the choice which the main currency of my account would be. Mine is in US$.

If you send Euro's to your Thai account, they will ask if you want to convert to US$ straight away or if you want to keep them in Euro's.

If you chose the latter they will show up as a separate Euro balance.

After that you can then change funds from Euro's to US$ and vice versa whenever you like, at the exchange rate of the day.

One warning though, I found out that when having Euro's in the account, but no dollars, then paying something in dollars, they will charge your card, and not take funds from the euro's! You first have to change euro's to dollars if you wish to use your paypal funds!

Also, withdrawing to your Thai account is expensive. Not in fees but in crappy exchange rates. Also when paying stuff using your Thai debit card, paypal will calculate the Thai Baht amount and charge that to your card. Again at a crappy rate (roughly the same as the banknote rate, instead of the telex/transfer rate).

No You cannot use any Debit Card issued by any Thai Bank to verify your PayPal account - it has to be a CREDIT CARD.

Just open a new PayPal account, and use any major credit cards from your country to verify your account. Then link it to your Thai Bank account to transfer/deposit money. Good luck.

WRONG!

You CAN open a PayPal account with a Thai bank's debit card. Just make sure the card has the 3 number security code on the back. I've done this multiple times. Some posters here have no idea what they're talking about.

Is it possible that your debit card is also a credit card? I used my debit card from TMB and Siam Commerce using the 3 digit security number but was denied twice!!!..... so YES I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT :-) - The account only need to be verified using a valid credit card... so just use your credit card issued by a bank from your home country.

No You cannot use any Debit Card issued by any Thai Bank to verify your PayPal account - it has to be a CREDIT CARD.

This is patently not true.

Bangkok Bank Be1st card, which is purely a debit card, works perfectly fine to verify your paypal account, and later on to purchase anything you can pay with paypal.

As of now Paypal does not use the verified by visa system, but even if they would, it is perfectly possible to enroll your Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card in the Verified By Visa system.

This also enables you to make online purchases using said card with a lot of online merchants.

WRONG!

You CAN open a PayPal account with a Thai bank's debit card. Just make sure the card has the 3 number security code on the back. I've done this multiple times. Some posters here have no idea what they're talking about.

Is it possible that your debit card is also a credit card? I used my debit card from TMB and Siam Commerce using the 3 digit security number but was denied twice!!!..... so YES I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT :-) - The account only need to be verified using a valid credit card... so just use your credit card issued by a bank from your home country.

Are you sure they are debitcards using the "visa electron" network?

Mastercard "electronic use" cards do not work. Siam Commercial I'm pretty sure does not issue "visa electronic use only" cards, but rather the Mastercard variant...

Mastercard "electronic use" cards do not work. Siam Commercial I'm pretty sure does not issue "visa electronic use only" cards, but rather the Mastercard variant...

Monty... now I'm confused!!!!!!!! :):D:D Whatever these cards I have from TMB and SiamCommerce - they are useless!! Only good when I take money from the ATM and shops at Carrefour - in America we call them debit cards (NOT a credit card) as they debit the money directly from your checking account whenever you use them. I can't use these debit card to buy any online purchases or paying for your online airfare.

Monty... now I'm confused!!!!!!!! :):D:D Whatever these cards I have from TMB and SiamCommerce - they are useless!! Only good when I take money from the ATM and shops at Carrefour - in America we call them debit cards (NOT a credit card) as they debit the money directly from your checking account whenever you use them. I can't use these debit card to buy any online purchases or paying for your online airfare.

Neither SCB or TMB issue ATM/DEBIT cards that are part of the online procesing and verification system. Best change to Bangkok Bank or K bank for all the modern facilities.

Neither SCB or TMB issue ATM/DEBIT cards that are part of the online procesing and verification system. Best change to Bangkok Bank or K

bank for all the modern facilities.

I believe it's the "Plus" symbol you need on the back of the card. All my ATM and Credit cards have it and therefore I can use them anywhere.

Sometimes it not a matter of "no you can't", it's a matter of knowing "how you can".

And without actually being there at the persons computer, it's difficult to explain "how" to do it for each situation. Every website I use is different. I buy online items on several websites from time to time. And each one is different but once set up, I don't need to enter anything again because they have a record stored on a secured site.

For people here (ThaiVisa) to say you can't do something always cracks me up. There's always a way, just knowing how is the trick.

Just open a new PayPal account, and use any major credit cards from your country to verify your account. Then link it to your Thai Bank account to transfer/deposit money. Good luck.

Sorry but you are wrong. I have just opened a PayPal account using my Kasikorn Bank "Cyber" card. Money has gone onto and out of the account with no problems.

My Be1st card (Bkk Bank) is a debit card as well. Any purchases go directly out of my savings account. If the balance in my savings account is not sufficient, the transaction gets denied.

I can use this debit card for almost all online purchases, save for a few who do not deal with Bkk bank cards.

As another member mentioned, it might also have to do with the "plus" network, as their logo is indeed on the back of the card.

Sorry but you are wrong. I have just opened a PayPal account using my Kasikorn Bank "Cyber" card. Money has gone onto and out of the account with no problems.

This one works also, the Kasikorn "cyber" card is actually a virtual card (you only have card number, CVV code and expiry date, not a physical card), and for all means and purposes works as a credit card and not a debit card.

With this one you actually get online statements, where you can find the extended use code yourself without having to call the bank.

Read only 1 or 2 replies, and disagree with some replies. (sorry to other who are on my side)

Yes, you can open a Paypal Account using a Thai (ATM) Debit Card.

i say this, because wehn i first started using paypal, i open 2 accounts with Debit Cards.

Both Account were using Bangkok Bank ATM Debit Cards.

if you have tried this and it did not work, the reason may be simple.

When u opened your account (in my case, bangkok bank)

You are given 1 of 2 codes on your account (on the system, Customers does not see this)

#1 - code states you opened a Basic Account "WITHOUT A WORK PERMIT"

#2 - codes states you opened a Basic Account "WITH WORK PERMIT"

now the first code does not let you do anything..... no online international transactions, no internet banking, and so on....

But the second code, lets you do all the above, International Internet Transactions, Online banking, Paypal, International funds transfere.. and so on..

i know this to be the reason cos i asked the guy in the bank... (after i could not use my debit card online, he told me (opened without WP)..

i gave him my WP, and started a new bank account... and Tadah! now i could use it for paypal..basicly Everything i needed..

i can only guess this is the same standerd for all the other banks.. (my wife's Thai Debit Card works with paypal also - SCB)

sicne then i have change over to Proper Credit cards fro paypal, But the Service i got From my Debit Card compaired to my Credit Card while using Paypal was 100% the same...

so i hope i have not repeated what somone else has said... and hope this may drop some insight your way..

You are so wrong! Yes, you CAN use a Thai debit card to open a Paypal account - we did. You go online to the bank's site and follow the process and they supply you with a new "online shopping number" (effectively the credit card number) and new PIN. Kasikorn have an excellent service and were recommended at the ebay seminars here in CNX last December.

• 4 weeks later...

You are so wrong! Yes, you CAN use a Thai debit card to open a Paypal account - we did. You go online to the bank's site and follow the process and they supply you with a new "online shopping number" (effectively the credit card number) and new PIN. Kasikorn have an excellent service and were recommended at the ebay seminars here in CNX last December.

You go online to the bank's site and follow the process and they supply you with a new "online shopping number"

Is this number the same number as your debit card? The answer is no, so can you use your debit card number? The answer is no. You need something other than the debit card number as you seeminly admitted. Online shopping number and debit card number are two different things. While they may technically uses the same account, registering on paypal with simply your Kbank debit card gets you no where without the online shopping number