Job Chances For English Speaking Thai In Cm ?

THAIPHUKET

Situation is as always not uncomplicated=

Thai lady friend of mine ( unrelated ) 42, mother of 3 year old, diligent, spoken English/accent in my opinion good enough for hotel or similar work with falang.

Because of school, working hours should be between 8am - 16.30.

I got no idea about job market or how to go about it.

Trying to help a mother abandoned from her falang husband.

Wife's cousin, Thai, English speaking, has worked in at least 10 hotels front desk, over the past 14 + years. Work schedule changes, start and finish times change weekly or bi weekly for employee rotation, day off, etc. Most seem to require more than a 7 1/2 hour day of work. May want to rethink the hotel bit.

My gf (good english) just started a job (this month) as a guest house receptionist.

It took her a week of asking around.

6 days a week 9 till 5 (5000bht pcm), sunday overtime at double pay (320bht).

I'm told this is a pretty good wage in CM .... pain that she now works 7 days a week though.

Thai lady friend of mine ( unrelated ) 42, mother of 3 year old, diligent, spoken English/accent in my opinion good enough for hotel or similar work with falang.

As CMSally says, more info about the background experience, if any, would be helpful.

The wage sounds to be on the low side of low, but times are hard in old CM now. I think she would earn the same as a cook's assistant/lunch time waitress in an English run guest house/restaurant, for much shorter hours and a 6 day week. PM me with your own e-mail address for more.

She may also consider approaching some of the very many kindergartens in and just outside the city. Some are under staffed - and there would be a free place for her own child.

Sadly, her and thousands of others.

Unless this lady has some sort of trade or skill that all the other job seekers haven`t got which can be useful to some companies, than there is little hope, especially once they reach over the age of 35.

Sorry, but these are the facts.

Perhaps she should visit the Chiang Mai job centre in Mai Rim or advertise in some of the local Thai newspapers.

If that fails, she may have a chance or becoming a live in hiusekeeper. Many Farangs seeking those at the moment.

Well, Thai dont know how to sell themselves and I have forgotten to ask relevant questions.

Here is some more info=

before getting married 6 years ago she worked for 3 years as cook for South East Asia sailing, Kata.

1 year of which were on a big sailing yacht, 22 people incl crew, going to Indonesia etc.

No Thai cooking but Italian cuisine.

Re read you last post, do you imigane her working as a cook in an Italian resturant? Maybe a housekeeper/cook for a Italian family/individual? The latter may work with the 3 year old. Post complete resume with recent photo and you/she may get some intrest.

It is possible she could get a job as a hotel receptionist. Normally hours are 8 until 5 with 1 hour lunch but a flexible employer would allow 8 until 4.30 with 30 mins lunch. The biggest problem would be most hotels rotate staff shifts but it is still possible because the day shift is obviously the busiest. Presentation and language skills are important

My gf (good english) just started a job (this month) as a guest house receptionist.

It took her a week of asking around.

6 days a week 9 till 5 (5000bht pcm), sunday overtime at double pay (320bht).

I'm told this is a pretty good wage in CM .... pain that she now works 7 days a week though.

5000 a month with language skills? That is low. Our maid is paid 7000 a month, 8 to 4, 5days per week plus half day saturday. Worth every penny, I mean baht!

Something I hate, but is true.

It won't matter how well she can speak, she is 43. They only want young attractive girls for desk work, or anything where you are seen, even if their English is ****.

My wife was paid 13k+ As a teacher at a Gov't school, she wasn't a Gov't worker (white uniform) But she pulled in 30-40k extra doing tutoring.