Internet Connections Option Kampheang Phet/nakhon Sawan?

Chris.B

The next trip back to the Kampheang Phet/Nakhon Sawan border area I will be bringing a laptop with me. What are my internet connection options? We do have a land line.

Hi Chris

I think where you live if you have a good landline you may be able to get an ADSL connection but if not then buy a DTAC or AIS sim card and use an EDGE conn ection with a mobile using Bluetooth.

That is what I do over by the Mae Wong national park and EDGE cost me about 2 baht an hours depending on the package.

Thanks for replying Bill. I am getting the family to see if ASDL is possible and how long it will take to do whatever needs to be done to the phone line. In the UK it can take over 3 weeks!!

Doesn't anyone in Thailand do the mobile dongles which you plug into the laptop??

Doesn't anyone in Thailand do the mobile dongles which you plug into the laptop??

Something like this or what?

http://www.aircard.mfa.co.th/e101.html

I got mine from Pantip Plaza, name G1 edge modem, 2700b. Can use ais or dtac sim card.

Hi Chris

The only reason I use a mobile is that I used to be in the business and changed my mobile every year or so and sort of hung on to them if they still work.

That dongle above from Hullopullo looks OK to me and as he says, it works and is not too expensive.

They may also be on sale in the basement of Big C at Nakhon Sawan.

• 2 weeks later...

Something like this or what?

http://www.aircard.mfa.co.th/e101.html

I got mine from Pantip Plaza, name G1 edge modem, 2700b. Can use ais or dtac sim card.

That looks like the sort of thing I was thinking about. :) The cost seems quite steep at £90 approx. In the UK they can be got for around £20 ?

How does it work money wise? Is the front end payment just for the unit? Do you have to top up somehow? Do the top up payments run out after a certain period??

Apparently, getting our telephone line switched to ASDL takes about a week and the wife has to sign. There is also a one year contract which I don't need.

Chris

The next trip back to the Kampheang Phet/Nakhon Sawan border area I will be bringing a laptop with me. What are my internet connection options? We do have a land line.

Hi Chris

I think where you live if you have a good landline you may be able to get an ADSL connection but if not then buy a DTAC or AIS sim card and use an EDGE conn ection with a mobile using Bluetooth.

That is what I do over by the Mae Wong national park and EDGE cost me about 2 baht an hours depending on the package.

Is that any sim card Bill? I have just discovered I have a Nokia 2680 which I think might do the trick. How do I connect my laptop up to the internet with it? :)

Is that any sim card Bill? I have just discovered I have a Nokia 2680 which I think might do the trick. How do I connect my laptop up to the internet with it? :)

You need to install Nokia's software which will let you dial out....

Thanks, I assume you mean installing on to the laptop?

Sorry Chris :)

I missed you post but dave_boo is spot on.

I am using a Nokia 3310c and that works with either AIS or DTAC.

Depending on how much internet time you use I find that AIS is better for me plus I can see the cellsite from my house.

DTAC was good also but was about 2km up the road and a busier site.

Thanks Dave! :) I have now got that working in England using a Virgin SIM and a Nokia 2680 phone in preparation for my trip to Thailand next month.

Bill/Dave, I will probably get a 1-2-Call SIM card as usual. Will that be okay for internet usage or is there a special SIM?

Regards,

Edited by Chris.B

Thanks Dave! :) I have now got that working in England using a Virgin SIM and a Nokia 2680 phone in preparation for my trip to Thailand next month.

Bill/Dave, I will probably get a 1-2-Call SIM card as usual. Will that be okay for internet usage or is there a special SIM?

Regards,

That's what most of us use. Just give AIS a ring, believe you can use 1175 or 022719000, and tell them what package you want.

I just went to the 7/11 and bought a 1 2 call Sim and 600 baht worth of air time.

I asked for the package of 250 hours internet for 500 baht a month which is too much really but for 2 baht per hour is a good price and then just log in and I am away. if I walk away for a couple of hours the cost is miniscule really and it works out to be around 33 baht or 1 large bottle of beer a day.

Also tell AIS the phone model and they will send an SMS to set the phone up.

Did you download the Nokia PC suite OK?

Cheers

Also tell AIS the phone model and they will send an SMS to set the phone up.

Did you download the Nokia PC suite OK?

Cheers

Yes, I installed Nokia PC suite ok and I got access to the internet using blue tooth and a Nokia 2680. (This is in England). I didn't need to set up the phone though???

I see the phone can be connected to the laptop with a cable. I wonder if there any advantages to this? Faster speeds maybe??

I found this promotion were it seems you buy a special SIM card for internet access:

http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Content/Sim...mNetsim210.html

Also, there is the 'Internet Lover' !! :) promotion:

http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Content/Pro...t.html#Internet

Yes, I installed Nokia PC suite ok and I got access to the internet using blue tooth and a Nokia 2680. (This is in England). I didn't need to set up the phone though???

I see the phone can be connected to the laptop with a cable. I wonder if there any advantages to this? Faster speeds maybe??

I found this promotion were it seems you buy a special SIM card for internet access:

http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Content/Sim...mNetsim210.html

Also, there is the 'Internet Lover' !! :) promotion:

http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Content/Pro...t.html#Internet

The only advantage to connecting via cable that I can think of is that the power draw will be slightly less than using bluetooth. So if you don't have your phone on a charger you can surf for a longer amount of time before its battery goes flat. The speed limitation is NOT the connection to the phone, even bluetooth 1,2 (superseded in 2004) transmits data nearly thrice as fast as an EDGE connection.