Using English Electrical Appliances In Thailand

ianf

I have a number of electrical appliances from the UK, such as: Liquidiser, stereo, lamps and so on. Can I just plug these in to the Thai system? (after changing the plugs off course!). When we first moved here we plugged in an emergency little air con unit we bought with us and it blew up!

Ian

I have a number of electrical appliances from the UK, such as: Liquidiser, stereo, lamps and so on. Can I just plug these in to the Thai system? (after changing the plugs off course!). When we first moved here we plugged in an emergency little air con unit we bought with us and it blew up!

Ian

UK electrical requirements is 220 volts and 50 hertz. Thailand has the same specs. So your kit should work in Thailand. With that said I would advise you to find a competent electrician to check out your house wiring,voltage supply and the new plugs.

Ian

UK electrical requirements is 220 volts and 50 hertz. Thailand has the same specs. So your kit should work in Thailand. With that said I would advise you to find a competent electrician to check out your house wiring,voltage supply and the new plugs.

earthing is a common problem here

UK = 230 V / 50 Hz

Thailand = 220 V / 50 Hz

Should be no issue, i use some Australian gear i brought out and Australia = 240 V / 50 Hz

Both the UK and Australia use a nominal 240 volt 50 Hz but now the European Commission have mandated that all EU countries standardize to 230V -10% +6% (i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V).

Australia maintains a nominal 240 volt system where as Thailand operates on 220 volt..............Sometimes :)

Electrical goods from any of these countries will work equally well in either of the three.

Should be no probs using these appliances here and as one poster has said, the earthing of them could present a problem.........however many small appliances these days don't have an earth because they are "double insulated", so that overcomes that problem.

Never hurts to get a farang sparky to have a look at your wiring (if you can find one) because the wiring here is a nightmare in all of the houses I've looked at!!

What about American appliances that are 110 at 60 Hz? Can they operate correctly using a step-down transformer? My wife is about to buy a sewing machine here in New York that we will take with us to Thailand in a couple of years. So, far the step-down transformers that I find online don't convert the Hz to 50. Is that a problem for something like a sewing machine?

What about American appliances that are 110 at 60 Hz? Can they operate correctly using a step-down transformer? My wife is about to buy a sewing machine here in New York that we will take with us to Thailand in a couple of years. So, far the step-down transformers that I find online don't convert the Hz to 50. Is that a problem for something like a sewing machine?

It depends on the motor. A lot of small 60 Hz motors are what's called "synchronous" motors, in other words they rely on a given frequency to maintain their speed. When the frequency changes, so does the speed. Do a search, and have a read :)

I use a number of UK appliances but I don't change plugs, I use an adapter. Never any problems.

Likewise brought with me loads of things in 2003, PC + Monitor + Printer sold late 2004, but there still working great, DVD + Video recorder/players stll work fine, iron, power tools and loads of kitchen appliances all came from the UK all still in perfect working order with no issues

It depends on the motor. A lot of small 60 Hz motors are what's called "synchronous" motors, in other words they rely on a given frequency to maintain their speed. When the frequency changes, so does the speed. Do a search, and have a read :)

we just moved over in august from san fran and brought several devices that were 110 with us. First off, i went to radio shack in usa and bought a couple of "continuous usage" transformers from them for stuff that i knew we would have plugged in all the time (like my commercial grade router and a couple of other things) and that we were carrying with us.

then, when here i got some beefy transformers (300 W or above) and use them for other stuff that arrived. The biggest issue for me is not overloading these things that i keep plugged in all the time - my receiver, some usb driven stuff, etc. I have burned up one already and melted paint on the desktop! So be generous in your purchase of this stuff and spread the load out.

everything has been running fine for a couple of months now, no problems.

It will run but slow and hot but if just for home use will probably be OK. Some other items you could have serious problems trying to use on 50Hz

It will run but slow and hot but if just for home use will probably be OK. Some other items you could have serious problems trying to use on 50Hz

Sewing machines tend to have series-wound 'universal' motors (with brushes and a commutator), they will actually run just fine on DC and won't experience slow running on 50Hz :D

BUT

60Hz motors can get away with less iron in the cores, these may saturate when run on 50Hz leading to overheating :)

HOWEVER

Since most sewing machines have a simple resistive speed controller (foot pedal) the motor will hardly ever be running at full power and the duty-cycle is quite benign so IMHO it will be just fine on a transformer unless the missus is an industrial seamstress.

PLEASE

Ensure that you have some means to prevent your good lady plugging it straight into the Thai mains, it definately will not like this :D

Yes they will work fine, I brought lots of stuff from the UK 4 years ago which is still working fine.

One tip that I found useful is to buy several multi point adapters, you then only need one adaptor to Thai system (or change the plug) and you can plug all your UK stuff straight into the multi point. I have several around the house, and UK visitors find it useful for phones, hairdryers etc.

Sewing machines tend to have series-wound 'universal' motors (with brushes and a commutator), they will actually run just fine on DC and won't experience slow running on 50Hz

Wife insists on foot power so was not aware of that - commutator rings and ScotchBrite. :)

Sewing machines tend to have series-wound 'universal' motors (with brushes and a commutator), they will actually run just fine on DC and won't experience slow running on 50Hz

Wife insists on foot power so was not aware of that - commutator rings and ScotchBrite. :D

Mine too :)

She had me de-motorise her old Singer and convert a restaurant table back into a treadle drive. I was amazed that you can get leather treadle belts in Robinsons :D