Cow Skins

MrWiggle

Anyone know where to get a full size hide already treated in the pak Chong area ??

Any colour.

Maybe Chokchai farm in Pak Chong area would be able to help or there is a cowboy/western theme shop on 4th floor in Future Park Rangsit, but I am sure that would be expensive alternative.

Seek an Hide eh?

You know where that Cowboy/Western themed shop is that sells all the Wild West gear (?)

hey, thought you had disappeared ??

Did someone go for a drive and find you again ??

yes, I know 3 places in PC, the first wanted 20k for a skin......I chuckled as I strolled out.

No .... I got a "please don't message" ... anyhow thats another story ..... yer, I pretty much figured if the old western shop had it it'd be expensive - all the stuff in they is mega priced and imported (you know its owned by a Stateside ex-pat? - its not Thai owned).

Forget ChokChai - they don't slaughter...

You know where Soi Solaal is (the muslim quater in Pak Chong) - just before the polcie station but on the opposit side of the road where the red & white comms tower is - as you turn off the main road you drive under an arch and there is a small mosque on the left hand side?? - got it. Okay somewhere round that part of PC is an illegal abbatoir - go looking (My "inoformant" tells me its mostly pigs they slaughter - but they do also slaughter cattle), you may be able to score a pelt or 2 - put them in a bag, take them home and treat them.

Thanks, shall go for a drive and a smell.

I have tanned fox skins and rabbits in me younger days, but never a cow skin.

I would be enthused to give it a go if you know what the ingrediants are for the tanning solution and if they are easily gathered here in Los.

Thanks, shall go for a drive and a smell.

I have tanned fox skins and rabbits in me younger days, but never a cow skin.

I would be enthused to give it a go if you know what the ingrediants are for the tanning solution and if they are easily gathered here in Los.

Hey Wiggle .... sending you on another goose chase !!

I know the area so well because my other half goes there every Wednesday to lecture Asian students at the research station

PM me if you are still interested, I have a wide variety of HIGH quality cowhides suitable for upholstery, pocketbooks, whatever.

About two hours drive from PakCheong !

Best.

On a second thought,

A little later, I will take some pictures and post in a new thread; maybe some other people are interested as well.

Edited by soidog2

If it's a beef hide we need,

Let's go buy a bull and take his hide.

Surely you can make good use of the meat as well.

It sounds like the cost of the hide is going to be greater than the whole live bull

Here's a deal for you...

You buy the bull,

right here in Mae Sot

choosing the right color & pattern

from a choice of 3,000 majestic beasts,

I'll skin it for you,

wash, salt and fold it

and I keep the meat?

OK, so that's a tad self serving.

We can share the meat.

Found the Muslim place....but it moved.....have no fear, found it again.

Going next week to secure one or 2.

Was going to go today, but decided to organise the tanning process first and what I need.

So, next question.....anyone know a good tanning method from ingrediants easily available here in Los ??

Would prefer natural solution to chemicals, but would consider. I have tanned fox and rabbits before in my young days, but forgot now what we used.

Have been recommended a solution using dog shit or pigeon shit....but i hate dog shit and would not try it. Pigeon shit is ok, but don't know where to get a bucket of it around here....rarely see pigeons in Khao Yai.

Then tanning it in a bark solution which has soked to release the tannins prior, they mentioned Oak, but no Oak here, so need an alternative. Ideally the trees you see them all cutting up at the loacl sawmills would be good, easy to get the bark, but not sure if it is suitable.

Mr. wiggle; after de fleshing (scraping) a fresh hide a solution of brain and water can be used for starting the tanning process. Go to google, hide tanning, and check the various methods. Pig or cow brains can be used, either should be available where ever you find a slaughter house. Check out native American methods for hair on tanning/finishing of hides. Used a a throw rug on polished wood or stone they have a tendency to slide easily.

Yes already googled a lot.....brains sounds the go, but a lotta work, would prefer a tannin method meself.

The rug will be held in place under the bed legs and a sofa in the lounge area, so should not slip......could always use the left over brains to stick it down.

The hair on hides are kind of unique. My grandfather had a couple buffalo robes (hair on) which were great for warmth in the winters. They still looked good after years of use (probably 80 years) in the early 1950's. I have seen furniture covered in cow/bull hide, hair on, never really asked or noticed if shedding was a problem.

Well MF...went there today at the time advised and they certainly look to kill a lot of cows thee, must have been at least 80/100 hides piled up there and 1 lonesome Daisy was tethered up at the end of the killing fields....looking ....well looking fine actually.

anyway, they only had black and white skins and I would have got one to try, but their price was to much and this was a Thai price as I sent someone in without me around, no chance of a foreigner even sighted beforehand.

By the time I did all the work to tan it, I may as well buy one that I have seen for twice the price as what they wanted.

I have another source, so will be giving that a go and see how they turn out.

Thanks anyway.