Instant Coffee

JimmyTheMook

Moccona or any Thai brand I find completely unpalatable.

The best instant coffee I have tried was a Japanese brand that I cant remember.

But I do recall the premium "golden" crystals (Folger's?) or something like that was OK when on a 3-day jungle camping trek.

Yes, I'm afraid it's just good old Nescafe 3 in 1 (rich Aroma) for me too. Carrefour do their own version on this, but it just doesn't quite cut the mustard with me.

Edited by thecatman

The German made Nescafe Gold coffee is quite good but the local version is tasteless (as in dishwater). Tchibo Gold (also from Germany) is also good. But at four times the price of Moccona Select have returned to what I have been drinking here for the last 40 years. Moccona Select is good (enough); at a very good price. The Dutch did something right when they made this blend (hot coffee and and touch of hot coco together?).

Edited by lopburi3

The wife likes Moccona the best, I won't touch any of them and brew up with the filter machine.

Indeed. At home I only drink fresh-ground coffee beans using a coffee press.

There are some rather nice locally grown coffee beans - my favorite local producer is Doi Tung.

Villa also has a decent selection of beans - albeit some are a bit pricey. They offer to grind them for you, but I prefer to keep them intact and grind them as needed at home - more fresh flavor that way.

Funny thing is, my wife's father grew up on instant coffee - and that's all he drank for 50 years or so... 'til I came along and made some pressed brew for him with fresh-ground coffee. He's never looked back and won't tolerate instant any more. LOL. He requests we buy him beans whenever we go to a store that stocks them.

Indeed. At home I only drink fresh-ground coffee beans using a coffee press.

Can you find a coffee press here in Thailand ?

Just about everywhere.... they even have them at our little Tesco-Lotus in our podunk small town. Seen them at about every major department store. Starbucks (expensive). A chain of shops called "Fly Now Outlet".... I would be somewhat surprised if you couldn't find one in the city nearest you (I'm talking a single-cup coffee press... nothing fancy).

If you find one, be sure to let the coffee grounds steep in hot water for 4-minutes... no more, no less.... before pressing. This time is important to get the right extraction - you don't want a bland under-extraction nor a bitter over-extraction. 4-minutes.

I use my beloved moka express that brews coffee with steam of pressurised water; hard to find proper ground coffee in mahasarakham, so whenever I go Korat or further down BKK I stock up a few packets of Lavazza Oro

Yes, I'm afraid it's just good old Nescafe 3 in 1 (rich Aroma) for me too. Carrefour do their own version on this, but it just doesn't quite cut the mustard with me.

I usually bring a selection of different nescafe sachets back to Thailand from the uk.

Did try a jar once, Not a wise thing to do on my part it broke.

I like Folgers Classic Decaf. It tastes so much better than any coffee out of the coffee maker. I could never quite get to liking any non-instant coffee. I heard an opinion that instant coffee, due to the way it is created, has some cancerous elements, but I think it's not true.