What Was The First Concert You Attended? The Most Memorable? And Who Would You Love To See Come To Thailand?

sbk

First concert: The Knack -- Ok, I had a good excuse, I was a teenage teenybopper girl :)

Most memorable concert: The Red Hot Chili Peppers in a bar in Santa Cruz, Ca (The Catalyst!) before they hit it big (yes, Flea did the sock thing, even then)

and I would love to see either the Kings of Leon or Linkin Park hit Thailand. Apparently Green Day is scheduled for January, that would be a fun one to go see.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stones - in The Park, 1969.

Saw them at Wembley in 92 (?), they were still great.

Sounds like they've got better since the 60s (although before my time.). Better sound systems, better light shows, more songs, less drugs (kinda).

Still going strong now.

One of my claims to fame is meeting Sir Mick in Nana Plaza during their last tour here.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

1st concert Siouxie and the Banshees (somewhere in Buckinghamshire I think?) had some irish band who'd just released their first album as support act, not many people knew who they were...what was their name? oh yes U2! :-)

Most memorable, The Clash at the Lyceum in The Strand

come to Thailand? DJ's who play decent deep house tech/house like Mr C and Dollz at Play Luke vB and Adultnapper, Jay Tripwire et al NOT banging nosebleed trance for a change!

(anyone else starved of decent House Music?)

Stones - in The Park, 1969.

Saw them at Wembley in 92 (?), they were still great.

Sounds like they've got better since the 60s (although before my time.). Better sound systems, better light shows, more songs, less drugs (kinda).

Still going strong now.

Odd, I won tickets to see them in Michigan around 1978 at some Superdome sports stadium and they were absolutely dreadful - the Park however was magical.

The most memorable - Grace Slick at Detroit Convention Center in 1979, amazing, gotta love the black thigh boots but gotta love the voice and the style more.

Second choice - Chuck Berry at USC in 1974'ish.

Edited by chiang mai

My first was a double bill of The Selector and Bad Manners, it was one of the best nights I have had and some may say that I was ska'd for life.

I would love to see either of them The Specials or even Madness come here. I know that the specials are still performing but I am not sure about Madness

A poster just mentioned the Lyceum and that stirred some memories - anyone ever go their free concerts on Friday lunch times back in the late '60's (wishful thinking I suppose)! For three hours on a Friday lunch time you could wander in a sit on the floor and watch/listen to a whole range of acts who wanted to be heard, no charge and there was a decent pint of beer on tap at very reasonable prices, Captain Beefheart, Free, Fairport, Iron Maiden and a whole host of others that became successful in their own rights but alas, I cannot recall all the names. The other venue was a place in Soho where Hendrix and Clapton first teamed up for an amazing impromptu duo (with Ginger Baker et al) and Hendrix declared he couldn't play with that man because his style was weird(!), what was the name of that small club?

Off to take my memory pills and exercise my zimmer now.

My first was a double bill of The Selector and Bad Manners, it was one of the best nights I have had and some may say that I was ska'd for life.

I would love to see either of them The Specials or even Madness come here. I know that the specials are still performing but I am not sure about Madness

I used to drink with a bloke in London who was a psychiatric nurse; the kinda bouncer type. One night he came into the pub looking battered and bruised; he'd dealt with Buster Bloodvessel that evening...

Went to an event around 1963~64. It featured about a dozen popular singers/groups, such as the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, April Stevens and Nino Tempo, and others. I think it set me back around $3.50! That was my first.

My favorite, most memorable, was in 1969. Leon Russell, and a couple other headliners, jammed with Pink Floyd ('Dark Side' era), on US International University's baseball practice field, La Jolla, California. I had my camper parked about 50 meters from from the impromptu stage. This was also the most memorable sex I had, with such top level, live music in the background,...... FOR FREE!!!!!!

I really miss the 60's!

I used to drink with a bloke in London who was a psychiatric nurse; the kinda bouncer type. One night he came into the pub looking battered and bruised; he'd dealt with Buster Bloodvessel that evening...

I guess this was a common occurence. I was a bouncer in Morecambe during the late 90's. Buster did a gig there but was so drunk he had to be carried from a nearby hotel bar to the stage! Morecambe does that to most people though!

I've had the pleasure of drinking with Doug (Buster) after a gig once because a friend of a friend was in the local Swindon supporting ska band "the skanxters". A bloody lovely bloke he was and he made me feel so welcome, I could see how he could be a handful though as he liked to drink. Pauline Black was also there and she knew how to put them away herself and again, she was a really nice lady.

Went to an event around 1963~64. It featured about a dozen popular singers/groups, such as the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, April Stevens and Nino Tempo, and others. I think it set me back around $3.50! That was my first.

My favorite, most memorable, was in 1969. Leon Russell, and a couple other headliners, jammed with Pink Floyd ('Dark Side' era), on US International University's baseball practice field, La Jolla, California. I had my camper parked about 50 meters from from the impromptu stage. This was also the most memorable sex I had, with such top level, live music in the background,...... FOR FREE!!!!!!

I really miss the 60's!

April Stevens and Nino Tempo sang 'Deep Purple' if I remember correctly. Good song.

About the first I went to was Jay and the Americans at Michigan State University Jennison Field Hall about 1968. I remember Jay Black booming out "Cara Mia Why?" with his wonderful strong voice.

Most memorable was Frank Sinatra at Detroit's Olympia Stadium about 1972. Absolutely fantastic. I took my Mom to see him and she was thrilled. The best gift I ever gave her. Poor Mom was in tears hearing him blast out "My Way".

I'd love to see the Moody Blues come to BKK!

I don't remember my first, hazy smoke filled days.

Most memorable: Four came to mind, not one, and this was before I read the OP, which is funny:

Grateful Dead at Hartford Connecticut (not my only dead concert but I remember that one for some reason)

Frank Zappa at the Daughters of the American Revolution Hall, Washington DC

Pink Floyd somewhere near DC, flashbacks ...

The Red Hot Chili Peppers in a bar in Santa Cruz, Ca (The Catalyst!) AFTER they hit it big

To Thailand? I don't care.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't remember my first, hazy smoke filled days.

Most memorable: Four came to mind, not one, and this was before I read the OP, which is funny:

Grateful Dead at Hartford Connecticut (not my only dead concert but I remember that one for some reason)

Frank Zappa at the Daughters of the American Revolution Hall, Washington DC

Pink Floyd somewhere near DC, flashbacks ...

The Red Hot Chili Peppers in a bar in Santa Cruz, Ca (The Catalyst!) AFTER they hit it big

To Thailand? I don't care.

The Catalyst gets some great shows, eh jing? I know Neil Young liked to play there, don't know if he still does or not.

I remember going to see bands like Status Quo Traffic Marmalade PP Arnold Jimmy Cliff Desmond Deckar and Aces John Mayalls Blues Breakers the Nice and many others in 68 the most I paid was 50p for Traffic.

Who would I like to see in Thailand a friend of mine named Sam Beeton an up and coming singer song writer from the UK.

You heard the name here first

A poster just mentioned the Lyceum and that stirred some memories - anyone ever go their free concerts on Friday lunch times back in the late '60's (wishful thinking I suppose)! For three hours on a Friday lunch time you could wander in a sit on the floor and watch/listen to a whole range of acts who wanted to be heard, no charge and there was a decent pint of beer on tap at very reasonable prices, Captain Beefheart, Free, Fairport, Iron Maiden and a whole host of others that became successful in their own rights but alas, I cannot recall all the names. The other venue was a place in Soho where Hendrix and Clapton first teamed up for an amazing impromptu duo (with Ginger Baker et al) and Hendrix declared he couldn't play with that man because his style was weird(!), what was the name of that small club?

Central London Ploytechnic?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/event...ams-with-cream/

Don't remember the Lyceum in the 60's (sorry) but I did go there in the earl 80's just before it closed, not sure but I think The Clash gig may have been one of the last ones there! Also saw them play on the roof of Kensington Market too :-)

Central London Ploytechnic?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/event...ams-with-cream/

Don't remember the Lyceum in the 60's (sorry) but I did go there in the earl 80's just before it closed, not sure but I think The Clash gig may have been one of the last ones there! Also saw them play on the roof of Kensington Market too :-)

The Marquee, Wardour Street.

First was Hothouse Flowers at Barrowlands '89

Best was John Martyn at Mean Fiddler in London '98 I think.

Love to see Madness in Thailand though. Saw them 2 or 3 years ago in London and they were fantastic.

U2 at the MK Bowl and Croke Park, within a week of each other, cant remember which was first, but intuanua and Billy Bragg and my first encounter of REM was all in them two musical outings.

Most memorable, either Mary Black in Oxford, whilst stepping out with a beautiful English girl, or the Dubliners at Blazers in Windsor, but I wont tell the exact reasons why, but after a great night, I ended up in the Big House.