Walking In The Road

patong

nanai road, sai nam yen road, soy sansabai, just some of the roads in patong with no footpaths to walk on, and if there is a footpath the shop owners fill them with sign boards, plant pots, tables and chairs. in some parts of thailand there is a law the property has to be 20 meters back from the middle line in the road. dose anyone know about this?

Believe it or not, there is some sort of tax on footpaths in Phuket. I had a built-up sort of footpath outside of my restaurant and paid extra tax because of it. It was about 9 meters long.

I think this may be the answer. (or maybe the person I leased from was just robbing me. Hard to imagine in Thailand, Na ?).

I jog along there at times. It is frustrating nearly getting the elbows whacked by the speeding careless drivers wingmirrors. I once saw a truck wingmirror strike a young girl so hard in the back of the head it put her to the ground. Driver carried on of course, as they do. By contrast I was just in Malaysia. Good example of a country that uses city planners. That concept hasn't reached Thailand yet apparently.

I jog along there at times. It is frustrating nearly getting the elbows whacked by the speeding careless drivers wingmirrors. I once saw a truck wingmirror strike a young girl so hard in the back of the head it put her to the ground. Driver carried on of course, as they do. By contrast I was just in Malaysia. Good example of a country that uses city planners. That concept hasn't reached Thailand yet apparently.

I will get slated for it but here goes anyway.. British colonialism, for many of the countries in SE Asia it was the best thing that could have happened to them (Sing / Burma, Malaysia, etc) the imposition of court systems, roads, etc etc etc.

Its not a popular view in the modern PC world, but you cant look at the world of yesterday and apply our moral judgements to the actions of people at a very different time IMO.

I should mention I am not in any way patriotic, barely even British, so its not some superiority complex thing.