7 Killed When Their Pickup Truck Hit By Speeding Train

webfact

7 killed when their pickup truck hit by speeding train

Udon Thani - A pickup truck was hit by a speeding train it his northeastern province after the truck refused to stop at a rail crossing. Seven people inside the truck were all killed, police said.

The accident happened at 4:20 am on the Mittraparp bypass road outside Udon Thani provincial seat.

The truck was dragged by the Bangkok-Nong Khai train for about 300 metre.

Police said the automatic system already blocked the road with a barrier but the truck crisscrossed the blockade and was cut into the middle by the speeding train.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/25

The train refused to stop even the barriers were down?

Speeding train??

That would be moving I presume.

Would someone please teach these reporters to write correctly. A thesaurus is a great thing, but I don't think this story reflects the truth of the events. At least in English that is.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Speeding train??

Would someone please teach these reporters to write correctly. A thesaurus is a great thing, but I don't think this story reflects the truth of the events. At least in English that is.

Exactly. It seems to me that the pickup refused to stop and considering it should have been stationary the pickup was actually Speeding.

7 killed when their pickup truck hit by speeding train

Udon Thani - A pickup truck was hit by a speeding train it his northeastern province after the truck refused to stop at a rail crossing. Seven people inside the truck were all killed, police said.

The accident happened at 4:20 am on the Mittraparp bypass road outside Udon Thani provincial seat.

Police said the automatic system already blocked the road with a barrier but the truck crisscrossed the blockade and was cut into the middle by the speeding train.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/25

Oh YES R.I.P i watched news this mornin its in my province! argh im tryin to search where was it! 7 were killed 5 of em were nuns, they were goin to temple to make a merit...sigh guess i will go ask my friend who works at the train station near my home...omg very sad indeed.

Kit

how can anyone be so stupid

Hey 'Donnyboy'. Seven people are dead, and all you can write is shit. Please think about those who have lost their friends, relatives and don't judge anybody. It looks like you're the stupid one, let them REST In PEACE.

I agree with Donnyboy on this one.

how can anybody be so stupid? the driver actually drove around the barriers to get accross the tracks, the barriers were down and he saw the because he DROVE around them and was hit by a train. stupid stupid stupid!!! I feel for the poor passengers though, and I hope the driver died last so he was able to see what a mess he had caused!

Hey 'Donnyboy'. Seven people are dead, and all you can write is shit. Please think about those who have lost their friends, relatives and don't judge anybody. It looks like you're the stupid one, let them REST In PEACE.

What's wrong with saying the driver was stupid? He has just taken out six innocent people as well as himself and in all probability has perhaps done this many times. It's clear Donnyboy is talking about the driver and not all in the truck... how could one read it any other way? It certainly wasn't bad luck was it. Perhaps think before flaming willy-nilly.

RIP

I agree with Donnyboy on this one.

how can anybody be so stupid? the driver actually drove around the barriers to get accross the tracks, the barriers were down and he saw the because he DROVE around them and was hit by a train. stupid stupid stupid!!! I feel for the poor passengers though, and I hope the driver died last so he was able to see what a mess he had caused!

I can't dispute Donny's sentiment either.

I am of course very sad the people are dead,

but the driver is a classic 'Darwin Awards Winner'.

Removed his blinding, deadly stupidity from the gene pool.

So sadly he took others with him.

We have a thread going on The Nation's "Impressions of Thai Railways" questioning the safety of the railways. Now we have this horrific accident killing 7 people by some asshol_e truck driver questioning the safety of vehicle driving safety. Well lets see... no train transport, no truck transport, how many buses have you seen go over, and oh yeah hasn't there been some nasty planes go tits up, I mean down. I guess that means we only have walking left. :)

My condolences to the relatives of the innocent victims of this tragedy

It is likely, that if it was the truck driver at fault, that he has done this many times before ( and may have had near misses before). The problem for these people is that most are incapable of learning from their experiences. Recently I saw some punk on a motor bike going thru red lights and not stopping and nearly get wiped up by a bus.

At the next set of traffic lights the same little punk was hopping around in agony with his bike wedged under a car. Incapable of learning from experience. Its got nothing to do with youthfulness. To be scared you have to think. Need I say more.

From the cradle to the grave most here are not expected to think about their actions and how they may effect others.

In addition to the deceased truck passengers, I feel sorry for the train engineer who no doubt will have this image etched in his memory for a long time as he had a front row seat for this horrific tragedy.

In addition to the deceased truck passengers, I feel sorry for the train engineer who no doubt will have this image etched in his memory for a long time as he had a front row seat for this horrific tragedy.

I am so sorry for yet another senseless accident, happens too many times to keep count. When will road-craft training become compulsory in this wonderful country. My prayers go to all those poor families who are now grieving.

I am so sorry for yet another senseless accident, happens too many times to keep count. When will road-craft training become compulsory in this wonderful country. My prayers go to all those poor families who are now grieving.

I fear that no amount of road craft training would prevent this. There is a barrier, red flashing lights and a siren on most of these up country rail crossings. What more warning can someone be given? Electric shock for crossing perhaps?

Much in the same way that driving into a congested box junction on a yellow light doesn't get anywhere any quicker but serves to cause congestion for other people, but people here continue to do it day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day ..........................

Besides mounting up tripods with gatling-guns to swiftly take out any drivers starting to crisscross(!) the section there isn't much that can be done.

So sad one stupid person had to take out 6 others with and causing untold harm and grief to many others.

Speeding train??

Due to some stupidity seven people died.

That was not necessary!

The engine driver will always ask himself the same question over and over, could I have saved the lives of the people in the truck.

In all probability he will not be able to do his job any more.

And next time passing a spectacle shop, get one.

The heading was about a truck refusing to stop, not the train.

I go along with you partly, the truckdriver refused to stop.

And the term speeding train is in regular use, faulty or not.

All in all, the result is the same, seven people died, a train driver will probably shocked beyond recovery, the people collecting the human parts will not sleep very well for quite a long time, if ever.

There is nothing more disturbing sitting in the cabin of a locomotive, see what is going to happen, not being able to do anything about it but slamming the emergency braking on, bracing yourself and close your eyes while waiting for the crash.......

Edited by hansnl

There were several rail crossings near our home in the U.S. where the guard arms would remain down for long periods of time, with no train in evidence, because the train was switching cars at a siding a few hundred feet from the crossing and had activated the crossing barrier. Many locals would just criss-cross thru the down barrier after stopping briefly to see if any fast-moving train was in evidence.

The kicker was that this was a double track, so while one train could have been messing around switching cars on a siding another could have come thru at high speed.

I refused to cross a down barrier and after waiting 15 - 20 minutes (watching others cross the barrier) I would call the local police. Their standard answer was that all they could do was fine the rail company and they always paid the fine, something like $400 per incident. While the police dispatcher was sympathic, the best she could do was tell me which rail crossings in the area where blocked and which were open so I could make a detour. Of course, she never advised me to drive across the down barriers.

Perhaps there's a similar history of "false" blockages with the crossing in this story.

There seems to be a mentality among some drivers about beating the train at a crossing and it usually ends the way this one has a bunch of dead people.

Sorry about the victims in this wreck, and all of the victims of such stupidy worlwide.

I see "the truck refused to stop" what do you see?

My mistake.

Sorry.

Also, "Speeding train" is correct English. It's use here is as an adjective, as in "Faster than a speeding bullet" not a noun, as in, "I got a ticket for speeding today."