Going To Laos...any Recommendations For Accommodation?

Anyone has a good recommendation for a nice (and not too expensive place) in Vientien? As for getting there- was wondering if anyone has already tried to take the train across the border? Is there any transportation to get to the city from the train station in Laos?

Try the Mina Hotel (856-021)244 412 on Lane Xang Avenue, close to the Victory Arch, from memory it was 700 baht per night, or 600 baht if you phone and book prior. :)

yes buth its far from the tourist area i have another one Saysouly Guest House 520 baht a night good location and closed to the mekong AND Tourist Area phone number (856-21)218383 good luck

Anyone has a good recommendation for a nice (and not too expensive place) in Vientien? As for getting there- was wondering if anyone has already tried to take the train across the border? Is there any transportation to get to the city from the train station in Laos?

:) I don't know the mentioned Hotels by the other Thaivisa Members. Many Hotel in Vientiane are old and smelly in bathnroom, provide WiFi but at the end no have.

I stay in the near new Hotel with luxery rooms but low prices .... near 28 $ (if stay few day can negotiate) in

www.aroonresidencehotel.com .... lets say between Mekong River and Victory Arch, also not far fm Thai Embassy.

We usually stay at the Mali Namphu GH at least one night as it's right handy to the Fountain, the Kop Chai Deu Restaurant and such. Need to email for reservations tho as often to usually close to full. Be sure to ask for a room on the 1st (ground) floor or 2nd, my knees won't handle the 3rd & 4th floors. http://www.malinamphu.com/MSindex.htm

Stuck my head in the Saysouly Guest House last time we were up there in September, might try it next trip. Handy to the Sticky Fingers Restaurant around two corners. http://www.saysouly.com/index.html

Mac

The train is reported to be a good method to enter and few use it so not long wait for visa and there is transport from station to city available.

How far is it from the city? As I recall,tuk tuk prices in Vientiane are exuberant....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Going to Vientiane 28.2 & having problems booking the Riverine Htl online.

Any suggestions of another htl near the Riverine on the riverfront?

Budget -900 /night

cheers

:)

GD

Still not having any luck with the LV City Riverine Hotel.

Any recommendations nr the Riverine?

I have used this place several times, a confirmation email did work, they held the room, others have not. No net in this place. About 1000b a day by memory. Nice and central. if you turn left at the front door, about 30m on the right a really nice French eatery, the Italian pizza place in the Fountain was disappointing. the Tuk Tuk mafia for tourist there is worse than Phuket for prices. The Embassy though is not walking distance, but maybe a 150b tuk tuk.Take insect spray.A lovely city to visit. So much charm.

"We usually stay at the Mali Namphu GH at least one night as it's right handy to the Fountain, the Kop Chai Deu Restaurant and such. Need to email for reservations tho as often to usually close to full. Be sure to ask for a room on the 1st (ground) floor or 2nd, my knees won't handle the 3rd & 4th floors. http://www.malinamphu.com/MSindex.htm"

As I didn't rec a reply in time from the LV City Riverine Hotel, I went to the Seng Tawan Riverside Hotel on spec.

1200bt for walk-ins, a lot less if you pre book. It was so good I stayed 4 nights.

Quiet and new, 5 months since opening. English is spoken by front desk and the young manageress. (Owner's daughter?)

Staff get 5 stars for attitude and helpfulness. Full Asian breakfast included in rates.

Second day I caught a lift to the LV City Riverine, to check it out, for $3 difference I opted for the Seng Tawan, the Riverine is a dump & very noisy, compared.

The address of the htl is confusing, it's physically on the far Western end of Quai Fa Ngum, 50m from Rue Houameuang, the unnamed street with the Mongkok htl on the corner.

The hotel has it's own website. but some of it's links don't work..... stick with Agoda for full info.

The rooms are even nicer than the pix portray.

DTAC & AIS sims work in all parts of the hotel as you are directly opposite both transmitters in Nong Khai. (2kms away)

Taking your partner? She won't be disappointed. :D

PS, I never thought I'd ever stay in a hotel with the hammer & sickle flying outside. :)