Uk Citizen Living In Belgium Married In Los: Visa For Wife ?

I am a British citizen living in Belgium and married to a Thai lady in Thailand. Next year (and maybe longer ) we want to stay at my home in Belgium. We plan to marry in Belgium also. Does anyone know how my wife can get a visa for this period, or can she apply for a Belgian or UK passport ?

I am a British citizen living in Belgium and married to a Thai lady in Thailand. Next year (and maybe longer ) we want to stay at my home in Belgium. We plan to marry in Belgium also. Does anyone know how my wife can get a visa for this period, or can she apply for a Belgian or UK passport ?

I think you will have to get a Belgium Visa for her , You are OK because you are a EU national. She cannot get a British passport because she will have to have been a resident in The UK for three years.I maybe wrong but i Think some one will put you right on This site,

As you are an EEA national living in another EEA state, your wife is entitled to an EEA Family Permit. She needs to apply to the Belgium embassy.

EEA Family Permits is the guidance for the UK, but the rules and requirements are the same throughout the EEA, as is the fee; zero, it's free.

I don't know about Belgian marital law, but I imagine it's the same as the UK. That is, you cannot marry her in Belgium if you have already married her in Thailand; unless you divorce her first!

I don't know about Belgian nationality rules, but I doubt she would be eligible for a Belgian passport until she has lived there for some time.

To apply for a British passport she needs, among other criteria, to have been resident in the UK for the qualifying period. As the spouse of a British citizen this is 3 years.