Walls Leaking

The walls of our house leak. When there is rain water comes in.

We repaired that several times but it did not help.

A German guy recommend me "Asphalt" What I understand that is a very sticky black oily substance which you paint outside on the cracks of the wall, than the thinner goes away and a black asphalt like remaining keeps everything sealed.

I explained that several times but no one knows that. But I think I saw it once somewhere for sale in Thailand.

Does anyone know how it is called exactly?

Thanks

Michael

Helped parents as a kid do our roof. Basically point to the road - same stuff (??). typically it came in black rolls, and u needed a hot pot on a fire to melt the tar, and then seal the rolls together. Pretty old stuff.........am sure these days must be something better ?

Bought something in home pro, like a sealant you can paint on. Moo Baan repaired themself, so not sure if it works or not ( never used it yet ).

A German guy recommend me "Asphalt" What I understand that is a very sticky black oily substance which you paint outside on the cracks of the wall, than the thinner goes away and a black asphalt like remaining keeps everything sealed.

I explained that several times but no one knows that. But I think I saw it once somewhere for sale in Thailand.

Thanks

Michael

Its called asphalt sealant. comes 5 Gal/ 20 Lt containers. Check with all your major home improvement centers.

I used waterproof cement in major cracks and then painted with well thinned latex paint (to allow it to seep into other cement). Takes a few coats where they use 90% sand for cement but eventually it works and seals well. Suspect tar would be impossible for paint to hide on a wall.

I used waterproof cement in major cracks and then painted with well thinned latex paint (to allow it to seep into other cement). Takes a few coats where they use 90% sand for cement but eventually it works and seals well. Suspect tar would be impossible for paint to hide on a wall.

yes that tar is what I mean. After years I don't care anymore if it can be be hide or not if it works.....

Someone know the Thai name for it?

Edited by h90

Helped parents as a kid do our roof. Basically point to the road - same stuff (??). typically it came in black rolls, and u needed a hot pot on a fire to melt the tar, and then seal the rolls together. Pretty old stuff.........am sure these days must be something better ?

Bought something in home pro, like a sealant you can paint on. Moo Baan repaired themself, so not sure if it works or not ( never used it yet ).

yes it is basically the same as the black rolls, but there is a thinner in it (gasoline???) so it is liquid so you don't need to make it hot anymore.

Thanks

Michael

Do you have a relatively small number visible cracks in an otherwise solid wall though which water comes through or are you dealing with a wall that's just so porous that the water comes in all over the place?

Thanks

Michael

Do you have a relatively small number visible cracks in an otherwise solid wall though which water comes through or are you dealing with a wall that's just so porous that the water comes in all over the place?

I have visible cracks. The hammered out concrete and put new concrete in the crack 3 times already, but that works for 2 month only.

Edit: Almost around the house and I get the water on that side the wind comes from

Edited by h90

They sell a special waterproof cement that worked well for me. That with a good layer of paint. They have special paint to cover small cracks but good quality latex seemed to take care of the problem for me. Was same thing - wind driven rain getting into cracks and wicked to other side of wall as poor quality cement was used. In several areas also applied multi coats of paint which was immediately wicked into wall until the sand got full and paint could be applied to wall without going in. Also had entry at roof margin so used extra water proof cement in that area.

Have since roofed over that area so rain would not be a problem so don't know how many years it would have remained dry - but did the roof a few years later and had not had any problem.

Edited by lopburi3

Given that walls in Thailand are usually non-supporting walls, could you just knock it all out, re-brick, render, then paint?

I thought for that already, but the biggest problem is in our sleeping room+direct under the wall is the roof of the garage of our neighbor and whenever someone works there his roof get damaged. He told us horror stories on how many years he needed get his garage without water coming in.

There is a good bitumen paint available called Flintcote, made by Shell. Not very expensive and available in small or large buckets.

A high quality exterior paint really helps too. We use Dulux, a little more expensive than the local brands but really tough.

There is a good bitumen paint available called Flintcote, made by Shell. Not very expensive and available in small or large buckets.

A high quality exterior paint really helps too. We use Dulux, a little more expensive than the local brands but really tough.

Definitely. With the heat, rain and sun we get here, quality paint is essential. Dulux ICI Weathershield is the one to choose.

Looks like the root cause of your problems is the wall "moving" meaning once the cracks are filled they will open again in couple of months time as there is movement due foundations or heat expansion etc.

Instead of re-cementing them you could try to remove the old rendering/plastering and seal all the cracks proper opening them and by injecting epoxy. This is used to fix load bearing structures etc so is solid. Then render, plaster and apply good quality paint. You should be able to do this without damaging your neighbors roof.

However if the wall is moving too much nothing will help and the cracks will appear again. If not in same location then right next to the epoxy.

Then again sealing the whole wall with bitumen every couple of years will do but it aint pretty unless you find good quality bitumen paints that look nice but is flexible enough to take the cracks appearing beneath without breaking.

Definitely. With the heat, rain and sun we get here, quality paint is essential. Dulux ICI Weathershield is the one to choose.

do I understand right:

That Flintcote over problematic areas and than that Dulux ICI Weathershield over the complete wall?

do I understand right:

That Flintcote over problematic areas and than that Dulux ICI Weathershield over the complete wall?

Yes I would go for that.

Flintcote can be thinned down with spirits but I like to put it in neat.

I would recommend Radcon Formula #7 that is made by the Australian company Radcrete and available here in Thailand. This product seals cracks up to 2mm and is partly absorb by the concrete forming a sealant and also hardening the surface.