Actual Drivers License Test

aussieboi

Hi, does anybody happen to know or have an example of the actual multi choice test you are given at the local transport dept?.

I went alone to sit the test, sat thru the 2 hour video clips all in Thai, but was given a book with the rules shown in English, trouble was, some of the test questions were not in the book !!

I actually thought the test was fairly easy, but I failed with 9 wrong answers, and was not able to see which answers I got wrong, so I'm wondering if anybody has done this, (I currently don't have a Thai friend I can take with me) and want to do this test before the school holidays end. Not being able to see my mistakes mean I am not sure what I got wrong, any advise will be much appreciated... Thanks

Yes I had problems with the multi choices as well (car/bike). In Pattaya they showed an English video version for us farangs attending. I still managed to fail once for bike and twice for car he-he. After I failed I went straight to do it again so in the end I could remember the ones I failed, guess they just wanted everybody to pass.

Sorry I can't help you regarding the film, maybe you should buy the book and have somebody translate it for you.

Hi, does anybody happen to know or have an example of the actual multi choice test you are given at the local transport dept?.

I went alone to sit the test, sat thru the 2 hour video clips all in Thai, but was given a book with the rules shown in English, trouble was, some of the test questions were not in the book !!

I actually thought the test was fairly easy, but I failed with 9 wrong answers, and was not able to see which answers I got wrong, so I'm wondering if anybody has done this, (I currently don't have a Thai friend I can take with me) and want to do this test before the school holidays end. Not being able to see my mistakes mean I am not sure what I got wrong, any advise will be much appreciated... Thanks

I never had to take the test a s they accepted my UK licence but i often wondered if the questions were based on "Thai" common sense? In which case maybe I would get all the answers wrong!

I took my test in the sticks, and unfortunately there was no English video or manual. I had the same problem with some of the multiple choice answers not matching the questions. I finally passed it on my third try.

I must say, that the people who administered the test were very nice, and i think they felt bad that they did not have any prep. material in English. I took my first test on a Monday, and had my license two days later.

You have the law of averages in your favor. The test is very passable even without study material.

I took my test in the sticks, and unfortunately there was no English video or manual. I had the same problem with some of the multiple choice answers not matching the questions. I finally passed it on my third try.

I must say, that the people who administered the test were very nice, and i think they felt bad that they did not have any prep. material in English. I took my first test on a Monday, and had my license two days later.

You have the law of averages in your favor. The test is very passable even without study material.

When I took my test in Ranong, I had no sooner picked up my pen, when the examiner got up, and approached my desk. She took the paper, went back to her desk and put in the correct answers upto the pass mark, then bought the paper back to me. I guess she thought, no foreigner us going to fail on my watch. :) There were 10 people taking the test, and only 2 passed the driving. 8 managing to hit the kerb on the 1st corner.

Test Fairly easy but got 9 answers wrong and failed

.What ???????????????????????????????????

The test is dead easy for anyone who has licence from their home country and know the basics. I took the computerized version in BKK and it is obviously selecting the questions randomly from very limited database as i got couple of the questions twice in one test.

Most of them are style "which car is parked wrong?" with picture of 3 cars were 2 are parked to marked lots and 3rd one in the middle of the intersection...

Anyways, for OP. If nothing else is available in english get a book for UK or AUS rules and you should be ok. Also Singapore could do and you can find them from internet as well. On top of that you should find from the net thai traffic signs and yellow etc lines. That should do it.

The test is dead easy for anyone who has licence from their home country and know the basics. I took the computerized version in BKK and it is obviously selecting the questions randomly from very limited database as i got couple of the questions twice in one test.

Most of them are style "which car is parked wrong?" with picture of 3 cars were 2 are parked to marked lots and 3rd one in the middle of the intersection...

Anyways, for OP. If nothing else is available in english get a book for UK or AUS rules and you should be ok. Also Singapore could do and you can find them from internet as well. On top of that you should find from the net thai traffic signs and yellow etc lines. That should do it.

Well, I did pass the 2nd time, but a couple of things in the translated book you read have different answers to the actual test, and it seems that you can make a U turn on a bridge, (which I had put as you could not) but their answer was you could not at an intersection, (I thought the bridge U turn was the more likely answer)

Also the car parking, & which car has the right of way at a crossroad bought me unstuck the 1st time..

The riding test was like taking kids for a ride in the park !!!,

We all followed each other round this little sealed area, one girl nearly fell off her bike 3 times, and one guy missed the turns, and went straight back to the beginning, BUT everybody passed...

So, 155 Baht later I am the proud holder of a 1 year M/C license, in both English & Thai, with me showing a big grin in the foto shot..

Edited by aussieboi

In Chiang Mai, there was a one-hour video in English (also Chinese and Japanese I think), then the test in English at the computer. After I finished, the program also explained all the items that I had got wrong.

The video wasn't very helpful, I should have spent more time studying the book with all the signs because many questions were focused on those, and many of the signs are very different from the ones at home (some mean the exact opposite, too). There were 2 questions that came up twice. I did pass on the first attempt - lucky.

I really can not imagine why anybody would want to TAKE a driving test in Thailand, Because for the sake of buying an International Driving Permit for £10-00. you do NOT need to take a driving test.... All you do is take a colour blindness test- just recognise different colours on a chart. A reaction test- just pressing a brake pedal when the tester presses a red light button and a depth of field test- just aligning two points together and then watch their road safety video. NO "driving " test or ANY qestions !!! You can even apply for an Int Driving Permit whilst in Thailand.

I really can not imagine why anybody would want to TAKE a driving test in Thailand, Because for the sake of buying an International Driving Permit for £10-00. you do NOT need to take a driving test.... All you do is take a colour blindness test- just recognise different colours on a chart. A reaction test- just pressing a brake pedal when the tester presses a red light button and a depth of field test- just aligning two points together and then watch their road safety video. NO "driving " test or ANY qestions !!! You can even apply for an Int Driving Permit whilst in Thailand.

Some of us like to make the effort and see if we can actually do it, and now I have all the info I did not have at the start, it's actually fairly easy, had I had a Thai person with me the 1st time, I would have passed, but two times was ok.

I did the theory test to renew my licence as flying home to get an IDP was not a viable option, only took a few hours and was free.

How much does a locally sourced IDP cost and how long does it take to get, i assume it is a legit one.

I did the theory test to renew my licence as flying home to get an IDP was not a viable option, only took a few hours and was free.

How much does a locally sourced IDP cost and how long does it take to get, i assume it is a legit one.

I got a new IDP in the UK last time I was there in May - got it at the post office for just over £5. Took ten minutes. Wasn't aware you could get them here though, not an issue for me as I tend to fly home once a year to see the folks anyway (a renew Visas etc).

• 2 weeks later...

The Dummy Machine (E learning) inside the Banglamung Office for Pattaya - is completely different to the actual questions you will get in your actual test. I found the E Learning website online the night before, and studied it for several hours until i got 30/30.

Yesterday 13th November, I failed this test as it was very different to the practice version.

I have had a full UK Licence for many Years but because I have the old pink paper style and not the ID card style they did not recognise it and wanted to put me through a test yesterday.

When I failed the Computor test. i did not know which questions I got wrong, and I left the premises as I did not want to do it again and again, in case I kept on getting them wrong again. There was no Air con, it was very hot and very busy.

To be honest I had to get out of the place.

I will now apply for a replacement of my old pink paper UK Licence to a ID card new style and then return to pick up my Thai Licence.

PS.. Also, when i went to the Immigration office for the letter of my Address, they told me to go back after 24 hours, I explained to the Lady that I needed it that day, and that was OK if I paid another 100bt.. The Total for this letter was 300 bt and I had to wait one hour.

If anyone out there has the Old style UK Licence, like myself, my advise is get it changed to the new ID Card style before you go, else you will be required to take the test.

Really Spoonman? I read on another Thai Visa Thread (pattaya) a few weeks back that just the UK Licence was enough, and also Staff at one of the Shops opposite the Office at Banglamung, who deal with taxing the car ect.. also said my FULL UK Licence was sufficient.

Where did you get this information from if you dont mind me asking, and also, how do I obtain an International Licence... (I do know that whatever, I still need to renew my old Licence)

PS. Having converstations with lots of other People in the Tax office while waiting,,, none of them had International, just UK, and they all qualified for Thai Licence.

Thanks Spoonman. I just ordered my new UK Licence online, I should have it in 10 days.

Have you any idea where I can obtain the International Licence.

I found a few websites, but there prices are high,, I tried to get on the AA website as it said they are just over 5 UK Pounds, but not sure where to go on there.

Or is there anywhere I can obtain one in Thailand ?

Any help would be appreciated.

locally i have no idea,"new2thai" says one can be obtained here, im not sure if he/she is talking bout a UK one or a Thai one.

Wait till you get your new UK licence and try again, maybe they do except the UK licence on face value and dont require you to have an IDP, i know they want with both an Aussie and American licence though.

Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will need an Thai driving licence, even though international drivers licenses are legally accepted. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered.

Besides that: You'll offer the local law enforcement great opportunities by continuing to drive with an international license.

Thanks Spoonman. I just ordered my new UK Licence online, I should have it in 10 days.

Have you any idea where I can obtain the International Licence.

I found a few websites, but there prices are high,, I tried to get on the AA website as it said they are just over 5 UK Pounds, but not sure where to go on there.

Or is there anywhere I can obtain one in Thailand ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thats brilliant! I went into the motor registry (country South Australia) last week and I got the 'Huh' look, and something mumbled about a special department in Adelaide doing the renewal if I am in LOS and the whole process taking 2 months! So I got then to tack an extra couple of years on before I left!

As for an International license, the RAA take care of that, but for your $30 all you get is 12 months.....then you need another one. Bit of a gyp, ay!

My friend had a very good question on his test.

Q: You are driving at night and fell very sleepy, what you do?

A1: Keep on Driving.

A2: Stop at left side of road and sleep.

A3: Stop at parking and rest.

A4: Take some amphetamine.

Another example of one of the questions on the Test was similar to this..

Which can you NOT do..

1. U turn on a bridge...

2. Park in a box junction...

3. U turn at a school crossing.....

4. Carry on driving and not stop at a zebra crossing.........

Its Bizarre !!! My answer would have been them all, but I had to choose One answer, and it never tells you the correct answer or the ones you got right or wrong. :)