Having Troubles Connecting Friend's Netbook To Wireless

damian5000

It says it's connected to the network fine, but it just says "Looking up [website]" in the status bar when actually trying to bring up a web page in the browser. It never connects.

The signal strength is excellent.

I've checked the network options and made sure it wasn't set for a proxy.

It happens with all browsers (firefox, chrome, explorer).

All other computers using the wireless are fine.

I checked the network protocols and they all SEEM to be installed properly (TCP/IP etc...), but I don't know a lot about this, so not 100% positive.

This computer was purchased in Germany and is being used in Thailand.

The computer has worked fine on some other wireless networks in Thailand.

What's interesting is that it connects regardless if the password is entered correctly. We entered 10 A's and it connected to the network the same as if we entered the proper password. At least it LOOKS connected, we still can't connect to a website.

Just trying to get as much info across as to what we've already tried. The next resort is doing a repair install of Windows.... If someone has some other ideas, please let me know.

Cheers

Edited by damian5000

sounds like a wireless security issue.

When you are setting up the connection, there will be place to enter the wireless key (password) and also an additional tab with several security options. Some networks are OPEN, while others use encryption, such as WPA, WKP and several others. Check these security or encrytion settings on a notebook which is working successfully and then select the same options on your one.

Note that if these settings are incorrect, the nework will accept any password (even an incorrect one) and then it will show you as connected, when in fact you are not.

It says it's connected to the network fine, but it just says "Looking up [website]" in the status bar when actually trying to bring up a web page in the browser. It never connects.

The signal strength is excellent.

I've checked the network options and made sure it wasn't set for a proxy.

It happens with all browsers (firefox, chrome, explorer).

All other computers using the wireless are fine.

I checked the network protocols and they all SEEM to be installed properly (TCP/IP etc...), but I don't know a lot about this, so not 100% positive.

This computer was purchased in Germany and is being used in Thailand.

The computer has worked fine on some other wireless networks in Thailand.

What's interesting is that it connects regardless if the password is entered correctly. We entered 10 A's and it connected to the network the same as if we entered the proper password. At least it LOOKS connected, we still can't connect to a website.

Just trying to get as much info across as to what we've already tried. The next resort is doing a repair install of Windows.... If someone has some other ideas, please let me know.

Cheers

You need to go to the website of wireless modem you are using and download and install the drivers on the laptop you are trying to use. I have run into this problem many times even with brand new laptops, the latest being my wife's brand new Sony.

It something really peculiar to the version of the modem you are using.

If it was a security key or password issue you would get a box popped up to enter the correct key. That is not the problem, it is a driver related problem.

1. Go to modem website first and look for the drivers or

2. Google for (computer name) won't connect with (modem name and model)

You will find that by downloading the correct driver it will connect right away

Good luck

Edited by Nio

Im not sure if it is anything similar but i brought a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and sods law the only wifinetwork it wo0nt connect to is the one which i need it to.. on futher investigation my laptop is connecting and says connected but the router is not giving out a IP address to my laptop thus i cannot connect.

Iv doena search and there seems to be a workaround around http://www.windowsreference.com/networking...p-serverrouter/ im not sure if this is the problem your having but its worth a look. try checkin tpo see if you pc is getting a IP cmd>ipconfig /all

good luck

I had a similar problem trying to connect to my sister's network back home, tech guy reset something (or changed modem, no idea which) and then I could connect with no problem. Odd part was, it would connect, but show as not connected or show limited connectivity only.

Have to note tho, 2008bangkok, most netbooks, mine included, run on XP so its not a Vista problem like your link suggests.

If you want, send me a private message with a phone number and I'll give you a call and talk you through the connection process. I believe you're set up to "obtain an IP address automatically" and system is not supplying a good one and is not able to locate the "Default Gateway". At any rate, the easy way around this is to manually set a static "IP address", "Subnet Mask" and "Default Gateway". These can be obtained by looking at the ADSL or Wireless Router setup page.

Type this URL [ http://192.168.1.1 ] in the address bar of a browser window and in most cases it will take you to your router's setup page. If it asks you for a username password, try the ADMIN/ADMIN combination—if that fails, break out the manual for the router to get the default username/password combination. Then look for IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Server entries for your router. Write these numbers down and return to your Network Connections Panel. Right-Click on your Wireless Network Connection and choose Properties. Now open Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and choose "Use the following IP Address" Next fill in the numbers you copied down from your wireless router setup page with the exception being that you want to set the "IP address" to 192.168.1.10 (just make sure the last number in this first sequence is higher than 1). Now click OK a couple of times to close the properties box. You may just want to minimize the Network Connections control panel for now.

Alrighty now...get back to your browser, close out your router settings page if you haven't already done so. Type in a website in your address bar and lets see what happens. If you're not surfing by now, then we definitely need to work on that security setup next. But I suspect we won't have to.

Cheers, and don't forget to PM me if you're still stuck.

Edited by MOSAN