Govt Mum On Sultan Staying In Thaksin's Home, During The Asean Summit

Rumfoord

Govt mum on Sultan staying in Thaksin's home

Published on October 28, 2009

The government yesterday would neither deny nor confirm claims that the Sultan of Brunei shunned state accommodation and chose to stay in a house of Thaksin Shinawatra during the recent Asean Summit.

Pheu Thai MP Surapong Towijakchaikul yesterday claimed that Hassanal Bolkiah, the Sultan of Brunei, chose to be a guest at former premier Thaksin Shinawatra's seaside home in Cha-am, close to the summit venue.

Surapong provided no evidence to back up his claim. He went on to attack Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva for being a bad host by trying to lecture the Asean leaders.

A twitter question was sent to Thaksin around 7 pm but remained unanswered at press time.

Government spokesman Panithan Watanayakorn side-stepped the question about the Sultan's accommodation during the summit.

The government, as the summit host, was obligated to arrange accommodation as specified and approved by respective Asean leaders but it was up to each leader to decide on private activities without having to inform the host, Panitharn said.

He said all leaders at the summit stayed at the designated accommodations for safety reasons although he was unaware of activities done in private.

Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya said ill-intentioned people were trying to spread rumours about the summit to discredit the government.

Regarding the Sultan's absence from the opening ceremony, Kasit said he had confirmed that it was due to fatigue.

The Sultan had a long engagement in Russia and then proceeded to attend the inaugural ceremony for the Indonesian president, hence he was feeling unwell to attend the opening ceremony of the summit, he said.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva confirmed yesterday that there were attempts to overthrow his government.

Abhisit said he was trying his best to prevent such attempts from obstructing his government's work in tackling the country's problems, such as low prices of farm produce and the economic recession.

"The political process is continuing on its natural course. We stick to the system and go on with our work," the premier said after the weekly Cabinet meeting.

"Certain groups of people are making every possible effort [to bring down the government] and my duty is to do my best to prevent any impact on the public. Regardless of their goals, those people should not cause trouble for the country," he added.

The anti-government red shirts, supporters of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, have threatened to oust the Abhisit government before the year-end through their street rallies.

When asked to comment on Thaksin's remark that there would be dissolution of the House of Representatives within this year and a general election would be held early next year, Abhisit said: "Does this have anything to do with him?"

When asked to comment on a prediction that it would be a tight contest between the Democrat and Pheu Thai parties in the next election, the Democrat leader said: "That's my business."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation October 28, 2009

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/10/28...cs_30115377.php

Who actually cares about this inane story? It would be more interesting if the Sultan had stayed in an unguarded local guest house to sample local culture rather than accomodation provided by the government of Thailand or a member of the elite that opposes them.

Edited to add: It all connects to foreign countries surrounding Thailand strategy which stems from rural surrounding urban strategy. Those who know the history of the communist days will remember this.

Edited by hammered

When asked to comment on Thaksin's remark that there would be dissolution of the House of Representatives within this year and a general election would be held early next year, Abhisit said: "Does this have anything to do with him?"

When asked to comment on a prediction that it would be a tight contest between the Democrat and Pheu Thai parties in the next election, the Democrat leader said: "That's my business."

Awesome!

but he sounds kinda nervous. the PM got ask by journalist to give an prediction about an election outcome and he just reply: "That's my business." oops.

remember, just to day ago he announced that he would win and that he has fun all the time.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday that his ruling Democrat Party would get more party-list votes than the opposition Pheu Thai Party if an election was held soon, but in the meantime he was still having fun running the country.

"I believe it would be a tight race," he said.

However, the Democrats should get more votes for proportional MPs, he said.

"But constituency MPs are still a problem," he said.

Whoopdee doo. United Asean marching forward whilst the Brunei representative stays in Thaksin's house.

Hmmmm. The wolves might just be forming...........

Could you believe any developed country having to answer this accusation concerning the accommodation of a visiting delegate?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Whoopdee doo. United Asean marching forward whilst the Brunei representative stays in Thaksin's house.

Could you believe any developed country having to answer this accusation concerning the accommodation of a visiting delegate?

The Sultan wasn't the only ASEAN Leader absent from the opening ceremony. also missing Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak and Hun Sen.

this "little" detail didn't made into the forum news, it could disturb the dream, the delusion of the 'sucessful' Abhisit.

why all these leaders didn't show up? any guesswork, speculation, explanation why this happend by team: the usual suspects?

the first obscure commie conspiracy theory came up. that was awesame.

any other input or better ignore the reality and put the full energy in some cambodia or red shirt hate thread?

why all these leaders didn't show up? any guesswork, speculation, explanation why this happend by team: the usual suspects?

I really have no idea why they didn't show up. Do you know? If I had to guess, I would guess it might have something to do with the red shirt riot disaster in Pattaya and the fear of a rerun. But I really don't know. Keep in mind this is an Asean conference held in Thailand, not a Thai conference, so if they dissed the conference, they dissed Asean.

Edited by Jingthing

The Sultan wasn't the only ASEAN Leader absent from the opening ceremony. also missing Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak and Hun Sen.

this "little" detail didn't made into the forum news, it could disturb the dream, the delusion of the 'sucessful' Abhisit.

any other input or better ignore the reality and put the full energy in some cambodia or red shirt hate thread?

If you really want to see an explanation of leaders missing the opening ceremony try looking at Bangkok Pundit who is no defender of the government by the way and who has a quite innocent explanation based on bad organization rather than anything else.

They say, "there's no free lunch" ....but I bet there are a lot of free lunches when the Brunei Sultan and the Shinawatras get together.

Can we expect some more of the same in future headlines........?

Oak Markets Diamond Encrusted Mobile Phone. All Puea Thai VIP's Required To Purchase At Least One (Oak is T's son)

Oak Fills Out Bank Deposit Form All By Himself

Thaksin's Daughter Gets Passing Grade From University of Podzonia

Ms Pojamin Enters A Luxury Store And Leaves Without Buying The Most Expensive Handbag.

Former Caretaker PM Thaksin Visits a Small African Country Without Promising Riches

Edited by brahmburgers

Well, the US had some answering to do about Ghadafi's accommodation during the UN General Assembly!

Frankly, many people in other parts of Asean do not believe the conviction of Thaksin is not politically-motivated. That is why Thaksin has been able to enter Malaysia, though probably secretly, welcomed in Cambodia, and possibly also in Singapore. Elsewhere, he is still welcomed in several European countries, the middle-east, east-asia and south-pacific.

Pheu Thai MP Surapong Towijakchaikul yesterday claimed that Hassanal Bolkiah, the Sultan of Brunei, chose to be a guest at former premier Thaksin Shinawatra's seaside home in Cha-am, close to the summit venue.

Surapong provided no evidence to back up his claim.

The Sultan of Brunei's security chief directly refutes this nonsense and said the Sultan stayed with the accomadations arranged by the hosting government as is usually done in regional summits. This was never a story from the beginning as it was all made up.

"Surapong provided no evidence to back up claim."

One has to remember that this Surapong is same moronic clown with no credibility who has brought forth other unsubstantianted twaddle like:

2009-07-16 TheNation

Pheu Thai MP Surapong Towijakchaikul yesterday said ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra would return to contest the next general election by running for a House seat in Chiang Mai.

Edited by cigarelio

If you really want to see an explanation of leaders missing the opening ceremony try looking at Bangkok Pundit who is no defender of the government by the way and who has a quite innocent explanation based on bad organization rather than anything else.

looked a little bit around at bangkok pundit, found that his newest comment on Abhisits visit of the ASTV party, a event hosted by Sondhi L. son, was probably inspired by a thread i opened here on the awesome TVvisaforum. compare:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pm-Abhisit-L...tv-t309765.html

i cross read the other blog entries, but i didn't found some quite innocent explanation why those ASEAN leader stayed away from the opening ceremony. and the new design is so painfull to my eyes that i don't want spend to long time there carefully reading everything.

so could you please point out more specific and directly what you mean?

i know that thailand Foreign Minister Kasit tried to give some innocent explanation based on schedule plans and busy times. but that is just the Kasit spin, merely just an excuse but not a real reason.

other, non thai based, media outlets pointed out that it is pretty unusual that for the openin ceremony so many leaders are absent.

and where you get your commie idea from, did you developed that all by yourself or do you got inspired by some blog somewhere in the internet?

instead of being vague and unclear i would be good if you could be a little bit more elaborate with your post. and not just hinting some fabricated rumours and myths.

looked a little bit around at bangkok pundit, found that his newest comment on //asiancorrespondent.com/BangkokPundit/paying-homage.....htm"]Abhisits visit of the ASTV party[/url], a event hosted by Sondhi L. son, was probably inspired by a thread i opened here on the awesome TVvisaforum. compare:

www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pm-Abhisit-Launching-Party-Astv-t309765.html"]http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pm-Abhisit-L...tv-t309765.

i cross read the other blog entries, but i didn't found some quite innocent explanation why those ASEAN leader stayed away from the opening ceremony. and the new design is so painfull to my eyes that i don't want spend to long time there carefully reading everything.

so could you please point out more specific and directly what you mean?

:D Have to laugh as this lamely trying to drum up interest in his own other thread, that's died on the vine with 5 posts (4 of which are his), by posting links to it in this, his other made up non-story thread.

:)

that's funny stuff in such a desperate sort of way.

Edited by cigarelio

Oak Markets Diamond Encrusted Mobile Phone. All Puea Thai VIP's Required To Purchase At Least One (Oak is T's son)

yawn, again. i know that you have an obsession with Thaksin, you don't need to express your feelings about MrT again and again on every topic.

this is thread is more or less about the reputation and credibility of Thailands current PM Abhisit in the view of other ASEAN leaders.

so could you please put your silly speculation about Thaksins children into some other thread dominated by the usual suspect and their emotional rants and unfunny comments.

no reason to distract here too, better stay sober and focus from time to time how & what the government of thailand is doing in reality.

thank you for you cooperation.

this is thread is more or less about the reputation and credibility of Thailands current PM Abhisit in the view of other ASEAN leaders.

No it's not. I read the thread title and the OP. It's about

which has already been shown to be made up bogus.

Edited by cigarelio

I will make a strong suggestion that the topic be discussed in a civil manner. Further flaming and baiting will result in deletions and posting holidays--and I am not particularly sensitive to whether members are new or old.

You've been warned nicely, but only once.

this "little" detail didn't made into the forum news, it could disturb the dream, the delusion of the 'sucessful' Abhis

I guess THE BOYS IN BKK had a party by themselves DOES ANYONE REALLY CARE

I really have no idea why they didn't show up. Do you know? If I had to guess, I would guess it might have something to do with the red shirt riot disaster in Pattaya and the fear of a rerun. But I really don't know. Keep in mind this is an Asean conference held in Thailand, not a Thai conference, so if they dissed the conference, they dissed Asean.

i am not sure if they, the foreign leaders, feared the red shirt. that would be the least likely reason in my opinion.

the canceled april meeting wasn't the first postponed date for the summit in thailand.

the reds were campainging and explainig their version of being 'innocent'. via the embassies (and other channels i guess). the 'official' thai government version about the events maybe not widely believed and taken for face value by non.partisan observers abroad.

the reds where campainging also against Thailands Foreign Minister Kasit, and i think they have some points here that are not totally absurd or out of place.

not sure if that, the red campaign, had and impact or made an impression on the foreign diplomats. they could have come independently to similar conclusions.

and the leaders came, have been there, just not for the opening ceremony. that looks to me odd and more like a pure concurrence of unrelated circumstances.

their absence and symbolic gesture. doubtless not against Thailand as the country, but a message towards the ASEAN idea or just the host, the current government? that is the question.

@cigarelio

the first two words of the topic title are Govt mum

if the Sultan shunned state accommodation or not got called unproven. that doesn't mean that it is false. the government spokesman called it the private activities of the guest and that he isn't in the position to comment it.

the fact is the absense of several Leaders from the opening ceremony, the question is why. can that be taken as an approach to rant about Thaksin or would it be wiser to have a closer look at the current government and PM Abhisit, the shunned host?

ps. and don't modify or alter the words of someone else's post in your quoted reply. it is against the rules and the mods are strict about it. your attempt maybe a borderline case, but since i am here i have seen many 'newbies' that got banned only after a handful of posts. the jugdement might be tougher for them. there are some vibes on this board that label newly immaculate innocents as guilty as hel_l.

I am curious to know if the Sultan actually stayed at Thaksin's residence. The gov't being mum isn't a good indication that he didn't. The fact that he was provided with accommodation by the gov't doesn't mean he stayed there, either.

It's already been shown that the rumor of the Sultan staying at a Shinawatra mansion is probably fabricated. Rumford started this thread and is doing all he can to try and breathe life into it. Even if true, so <deleted>' what?

Perhaps it should have a sub-heading, suggest: 'much ado about nothing' or 'tempest in a thimble'

As for the allegations that some Asean members missing opening formalities. Not surprising. Red Shirts violently disrupted the previous Thai place they were at, while cops/security stood by helplessly, if they were there at all.

It's par for the course with Asians in general. Whenever there's a dust up in Thailand, the first groups of tourists to get spooked and stay away are Asians. Pardon me if that statement is not PC enough.

the reds were campainging and explainig their version of being 'innocent'. via the embassies (and other channels i guess). the 'official' thai government version about the events maybe not widely believed and taken for face value by non.partisan observers abroad.

Whatever makes you think that what the Reds have to say to Embassy officials (and those operating in different channels) would be believed and/or taken at face value? Is it not the case that the people who matter in this world are fully aware of Thaksin's misdeeds and look upon Thaksin with disfavour? How many of the developed countries have declared Thaksin personna non grata? Ambassadors report home on events in whatever country they have been appointed to and add their opinions regarding relevance and veracity of the posturings of opposing parties. These reports are sifted by analysts who then make judgements and proposals to their Government ministers.

May I suggest that one of the prime factors in determining attitudes to other countries is that of self interest? Any suggestion that any country would want to get into bed with Thaksin and his cohorts I view with a degree of derision.

Well, the US had some answering to do about Ghadafi's accommodation during the UN General Assembly!

Scott, I think the 1st observation remains valid. This conference was organized and hosted by Thailand. The Ghadaffi visit was for a UN organized event. If it had been up to the USA, Ghadaffi would not have been allowed in. The USA is obliged to grant visas to foreign diplomats on UN business, particularly when strategic allies like Italy and the UK are negotiating important oil supply deals. Mr. Ghadaffi tried to pitch his tent in Central park, and it was up to the NYC officials to say no, which they did. Same thing out on Long Island. Ghadaffi ended up staying at the Libyan mission in Manhatten. What's to answer for?

Bear in mind that most western nations walked out on the man that sponsored the Lockerbie air murders when he addressed the UN. Using your logic, one might argue that the nonattendance by several ASEAN members was akin to a walkout or protest. That argument would be unfair and wrong, since the nonattendance was most likely due to the chaos at the last event and the fact that the meeting was a PR event and an otherwise waste of time for those politicians that had work to do.

Edited by geriatrickid

Ok let's get some info clear here -

All HOS (Head Of State) accommodations were decided or shall i say assigned by the host country, in which this case is Thailand. If the host country assigned a place, the embassy of the respective country will inspect and plan the whole logistic together with their own country security advisors (special task force). If the accommodation assigned is not suitable for some reasons (as the whole govt team will need to be close to the HOS as this is an official visit) then the host country will require to find a suitable replacement to the country's request. So in this case, the host country will have to be blamed if the accommodation assigned to the respective HOS has been criticized by the media in anyway.

The question on why some of the ASEAN leaders missing during the opening? The last thing an ASEAN country wants to do is to have diplomatic problem within it's association. This would definitely lose the point of their bilateral meetings that has always been the important point during this type of summit.

To my knowledge, Malaysia PM were excused from the opening as the Malaysian 2010 budget were just released. He was required to attend the parliament debate, this would be his first time presenting the national budget as a PM of Malaysia.

The Philippines President were excused, well i believed all of us read the news on the tropical storm that hit the Philippines Islands. She is well engaged in attending the huge task of the country's recovery.

The Indonesia President, he was re-elected again as the Indonesia President just before the summit and to my understanding there was a ceremony that will require him to attend if he wants to go to the summit as the Indonesia President (inauguration).

As for Cambodian HOS, he was attending to another official visit of a minister from another country.

So, hopes that clears the air a bit here.

Explorer

The question on why some of the ASEAN leaders missing during the opening? The last thing an ASEAN country wants to do is to have diplomatic problem within it's association. This would definitely lose the point of their bilateral meetings that has always been the important point during this type of summit.

yep, all of them had some excuses and instead of the HOS, deputies have been attendant like the Foreign Ministers of the States in question. nobody said, hey let's start a boycott and stay away. they are diplomats, so they had their alibis and reasons and no time. it's the ASEAN they don't make a big fuss about and start drama queen actions. it stays all gentle and decent.

and the reasons you mentioned, this is the clear info version from and by Kasit, the beloved Foreign Minister of Thailand. he gave that as explantion why some leaders are absent.

anyway, Abhisit did perfectly entertained himself alone, having fun running the country as he call it. beside being mum about the Sultans accomodation it all started with some buzzer noise. lets take a look at the Government own public statesments and media releases.

buzzzzzz, the opening signal. the fun.

1899123011232.jpg

more here http://media.thaigov.go.th/pageconfig/albu...089&pageno= team fun standing around and having an awesome photo op. if you are not an Abhisit fan, you can skip it.

later, the HOS having lunch and a good time. easy hour. the court photographer captured great moments of friendship between HOS that weren't prearranged by the protocol. that gallery is really worth to take a closer look at, which photos of the event got selected and published. which HOS are and which HOS are not on these photos.

Host & HOS having a small talk:

18991230141147.jpg

more here: http://media.thaigov.go.th/pageconfig/albu...y=&aid=4096

about the man Abhisit having a chat with, the PM will later say: in the principle of harmony he will not give the bad fugitve the opportunity to attack Thailand from his countries soil. just like in the both proper countries , UK and Germany, Thaksin isn't welcome this country too. Myanmar is moving towards a fair and free electoral process, Abhisit said. (he said it not all in the same breath, but he said it, his words)

Whatever makes you think that what the Reds have to say to Embassy officials (and those operating in different channels) would be believed and/or taken at face value? Is it not the case that the people who matter in this world are fully aware of Thaksin's misdeeds and look upon Thaksin with disfavour? How many of the developed countries have declared Thaksin personna non grata? Ambassadors report home on events in whatever country they have been appointed to and add their opinions regarding relevance and veracity of the posturings of opposing parties. These reports are sifted by analysts who then make judgements and proposals to their Government ministers.

May I suggest that one of the prime factors in determining attitudes to other countries is that of self interest? Any suggestion that any country would want to get into bed with Thaksin and his cohorts I view with a degree of derision.

you cutted it out, but as as i said it. "not sure if that, the red campaign, had and impact or made an impression on the foreign diplomats." same as the 'official' hard core propaganda version is just real for true believers and chearleaders. the foreign world sticks to 101 en matière diplomatique. comes down to own conclusion and don't do much.

you raised a very interesting question, i also ever asked myself: How many of the developed countries have declared Thaksin personna non grata?

can you answer that question? provide us an impressive list of these countries and how tough their stance it and their stated reasons, official comments in the cause Thaksin? hard facts?

what i don't get is that hateful attidude towards certain countries only because Thaksin visited them or stays there.

i tend more to the opinion below. that sounds sober to me.

Frankly, many people in other parts of Asean do not believe the conviction of Thaksin is not politically-motivated. That is why Thaksin has been able to enter Malaysia, though probably secretly, welcomed in Cambodia, and possibly also in Singapore. Elsewhere, he is still welcomed in several European countries, the middle-east, east-asia and south-pacific.

Not yet mentioned in this thread: ASEAN doesn't stand for, or do much.

The rare times the members make a policy statement, it's so watered down as to be essentially useless. They're so worried about face and pomp and giving the impression of harmony, that there can be no uncomfortable scenarios. All is fake smiles and softball small talk packed in cotton candy.

Meanwhile, Burma continues to smolder and there's little if any mention of environmental issues (that I've ever heard of). At most, there might be a mention of 'global warming' in the context of, "perhaps we could lessen vehicle emissions, if it might help ease pollution.' I just made that up, but any 8 year old could come up with the same deduction, and it's doubtful that ASEAN even goes that far.

If ASEAN does anything at all, it has to revolve around money/economics. "Keep rich people rich" should be their motto.

Geriatrickid: Thanks, I was being facetious about Ghadafi. I know how the visa stuff works with the UN and I followed the tent antics with amusement. Seems the neighbors weren't too pleased at the Trump estate.

ASEAN doesn't seem to do much, that's a statement I have to agree with, but in the past it has pesented a good show. Lots of photo ops etc. The endless postponements, etc. have had their effect and the countries have extracted their revenge--they weren't there for the important stuff, like the opening.

The stuff about the members being afraid of the red shirts is extremely dubious. I very much doubt that Hun Sen was living in fear of them. The military presence alone was enough to insure no major incidents.

World wide Thailand has lost a tremendous amount of credibility. I recently returned from overseas and the press and opinions of people is largely negative. The Songkhran riots don't loom large in their memories, but the take over the airport sure does.

But back on topic: Where did the Sultan stay? Why is the gov't mum--maybe they don't know?