Good Bar/pub In Bangkok?

HalfSquat

I'm after a bar or pub like you would get in London but am not after one of those Irish or British-imitation pubs you see quite a lot in Bangkok if that makes sense.

What I am after is relaxed 'vibe', no bar girls, not too flash but not a dive, ok for farang, good for meeting up with mates for a few beers but nothing too heavy, bottled Thai beer is fine, shorts and flip flops not frowned upon.

Ideally it would be around Sukhumvit/Silom near a BTS.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Another option would be the Bradman bar on Soi 23. No bargirls, good food, three stories, seven sound zones for the 20 odd flat screen TV's, pool table and dart boards. A few hundred yards from Soi cowboy (if you change your mind about the bargirls). Enter Soi 23 from Sukhumvit end and it is about 150 yards in on the right hand side (Owner is Thomas, a large Aussie gentleman).

Best I have found is the Black Swan - right below Asoke BTS on the same side as the Sheraton. Owned and run by a guy from Sheffield. Genuine English pub, no bar girls and families wlecom.

i've never been in that one, thanks for the head up ...will give it a try.

I'm after a bar or pub like you would get in London but am not after one of those Irish or British-imitation pubs you see quite a lot in Bangkok if that makes sense.

What I am after is relaxed 'vibe', no bar girls, not too flash but not a dive, ok for farang, good for meeting up with mates for a few beers but nothing too heavy, bottled Thai beer is fine, shorts and flip flops not frowned upon.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

What do you have against innocent bar girls, If I may ask? So long as they pay for their own booze and sit on a different table?

Ok, you should try sukhumvit soi 33, the Office Bar, owned by another large Aussie. Their beef stew is worth a try.

Thanks people, lots of places for me to check out!

What do you have against innocent bar girls, If I may ask? So long as they pay for their own booze and sit on a different table?

Ok, you should try sukhumvit soi 33, the Office Bar, owned by another large Aussie. Their beef stew is worth a try.

I've not been here long and still find the whole bar girl scene a bit strange, probably just being a prude, I've got nothing against them in general, just want a quiet pint sometimes and I'm sure they wouldn't hassle me anyways, just a personal preference in this case I guess.

Thanks for the recommendation, will check the Office bar.

Office is good starting point. From there easy to walk to sukhumvit where you can drop by at Londoner then continue towards Asoke to Penalty Spot and finish it off in soi 23 or Black Swan or even head to Nana via Soi 8.

That should do it for the night :)

There's also The Queen Victoria Pub on Sukhumvit soi 23.

Bully's Pub located between soi 2 and soi 4 of Sukhumvit.

Det 5 on the popular sukhumvit Soi 8.

For a nice pub in the Silom area I'd reccommend The Duke Of Wellington on Silom Road.

Another idea would be to take a look at 'Monsoon' outside the Adelphi Suites also on Sukhumvit Soi 8. It looks like a cool place to hang for a drink. There's a review on it here

Try the Crossbar good food, no BG to annoy you, draught and bottled beers. Run by Brian a good mine host. A lot of expats.

Check it out on - www.thecrossbarbangkok.com

BT

I second that. Try the chilli and chips while you are there. Real english food and the music is quiet enough to have a conversation. Just watch out for the jocks and scousers. :)

the steps of a 7/11 in a small soi

you can put whatever music you want

No irish or british retards

no bargirls

Lot's of thai guy and girls will pass by and could join you if you're into that

Lot's of available food

Good safe lights

cheap alchool

a dog friend perhaps

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Fletch agrees with BigToe3 and Nidge - that Crossbar fits that description quite nicely. Good for the football at weekend too. Generally a good menu of western food and Thai - Bangers and Mash, Steak and Ale pie, all worth adding to the Chili and so on. Short stroll from Asoke BTS/ Sukhumvit MRT, or a few mins in a taxi/moto taxi.

Don't particularly like Soi8 that was mentioned. Had an issue with the bill in there - a complete b*lls up on their part - charging for the wrong drinks. Mistakes happen - but then I didn't like the Thai staff followed by Aussie management agressive style of handling it. The last trip I made was to claim back the double charge they should never have put thru on my credit card for this incident. I freely signed one visa slip for the correct amount, and tore up the other - expressly asking not to be double charged and for the slip not to be processed. A visa slip should never be processed in a bar without a signature - but they did so in addition to the original b*lls up. In fairness when I did go back a week later they handed me back the double charge promptly - no apology though - so haven't been back since. Also the "band" gets a bit annoying if you're closeto it and trying to have a conversation.

BTW For Crossbar, if anyone brought in a BG with them no-one would probably bother at all as there's a pretty open-minded crowd. It's just a stream of ants unaccompanied that might be discouraged :D . It's nice to have a choice and safe haven sometimes... :)

Edited by fletchsmile

Some good stuff. Should take me a while to get around all of those!

Anything a bit more bar-ish rather than puby?

Yeah, There's The Big Mango Bar in the sub soi opposite the 7/11 on Sukhumvit Soi 4 (map on the website). A pretty cool crowd get in here, foods pretty good, and beers are cheap!! There are some pretty service girls for a bit of eye candy, but these are not bar girls and will not bother you.

Edited by thecatman

There's only really two places. The soi 8 pub and the Cross bar. Both have really nice landlords and run a good ship.

I sometimes go to Bullies and the Robin Hood as they have uk newspapers printed out to read. That's the only reason I go there.

Cross bar is probably me favourite. Mr Toad is part of the furniture. :)

Try the Crossbar good food, no BG to annoy you, draught and bottled beers. Run by Brian a good mine host. A lot of expats.

BT

I second that. Try the chilli and chips while you are there. Real english food and the music is quiet enough to have a conversation. Just watch out for the jocks and scousers. :)

Aaaaaw Nidge, we never knew you cared. :D

BT

Aaaaaw Nidge, we never knew you cared. :D

More than you'd ever know :D