New Us Passport

bjohn34

I assume you mean a new passport in replacement for an expiring one (rather than a first passport). I got one last year and was pleasantly surprised at how fast it was---I don't remember precisely but my recollection is that it was less than a week.

Sawasdee Khrup, BJohn34;

About six years ago I got a replacement passport here in Chiang Mai, and it took about two weeks, but you should contact the Consulate for an update on that.

My current US passport is about to run out of pages, and I've got to exit the country on the 14th.; does anyone know if the Chiang Mai Consulate (or the Bangkok Embassy) can add new pages ?

thanks, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, BJohn34;

About six years ago I got a replacement passport here in Chiang Mai, and it took about two weeks, but you should contact the Consulate for an update on that.

My current US passport is about to run out of pages, and I've got to exit the country on the 14th.; does anyone know if the Chiang Mai Consulate (or the Bangkok Embassy) can add new pages ?

Yes to your question.

I got a new one back in September, and it took six days. That included a trip back to validate my identity with my birth certificate and some other docs due to a ssn duplication problem in the system. Grade A service in my book. They estimate two weeks or less for a new passport, and don't forget to make an appointment on the new online appointment system.

Sawasdee Khrup, BJohn34;

Yes to your question.

.... With a caveat..... as I was told , not more than two times, then you have to get a new passport......

I would check by telephone before you go...

Got a new one this month and took exactly one week. Just make sure you go online first to make an appointment. When I did, it was 4 days before I could get in.

Also, if you get their before 1:00PM you will have to stand outside the consulate as they will not let you in before that. Depending on how you get there parking can also be a problem if you drive your own vehicle. Once inside you will get a quick security check then it takes a few minutes to complete the form. You will have the option to either pay $75.00 in USD or the equivalent in Thai baht at the current exchange rate.

Once the passport comes in you should receive an email notifying that you can come in and pick it up, which you will not need an appointment to do. Just check the pickup times that you will be given.

All in all, surprisingly quick to get the passport back which I expected to take a lot longer.

What about replacing a lost/stolen passport? Anyone had that unfortunate experience?

I had mine stolen 3 years ago in Bangkok. My flight was leaving back to the US in 5 days. They had the new temporary one (only good for one year, but renewable without having to pay the fee again) available for me to pick up at the Consulate's office in 4 days. As the previous poster said, don't forget the police report (you need this first) and also don't forget to go to the Thai Immigration to get a new entry/exit card after you have the passport. They didn't volunteer this info, I had to ask.

• 3 months later...

Ahhh, the search function worked just like it ought to. Now I just have a cpl quick questions that maybe some other CM expats can help me with. Deal is that I go to The States in April for a couple weeks. When I head back at the end of the month (still in April), my passport will only be valid for another 5 mo's, and I understand there's a 6 mo validity requirement that may or may not be enforced for me to re-enter the country. I'm fine to go get m new passport issued to avoid any hassles. But what about transferring my Business Visa to the New Passport ? Can they do that ? Will I get my old passport back n be able to show that along with my new one ? Can that all be handled here in CM ? Anybody with experience transferring their visa to the new passport here in CM ?

I'm ready to go book my appt just as soon as I know how it works. Hopefully the TV systems saves me having to go n investigate down at the consulate.

Thanks.

Sawasdee Khrup, BJohn34;

Yes to your question.

Roger that.

Ahhh, the search function worked just like it ought to. Now I just have a cpl quick questions that maybe some other CM expats can help me with. Deal is that I go to The States in April for a couple weeks. When I head back at the end of the month (still in April), my passport will only be valid for another 5 mo's, and I understand there's a 6 mo validity requirement that may or may not be enforced for me to re-enter the country. I'm fine to go get m new passport issued to avoid any hassles. But what about transferring my Business Visa to the New Passport ? Can they do that ? Will I get my old passport back n be able to show that along with my new one ? Can that all be handled here in CM ? Anybody with experience transferring their visa to the new passport here in CM ?

I'm ready to go book my appt just as soon as I know how it works. Hopefully the TV systems saves me having to go n investigate down at the consulate.

Thanks.

When you get the new PP, the CM Counsel will give you a letter to take to CM Immigration requesting that they transfer all the visa info to the new PP which they will kindly and promptly do. Yes, you will get the old PP back so take both to Immigration. It is a breeze so book the appointment.

When you initially order your new passport at that time you can request that they put in extra pages. This also costs something extra. Doing this may save time and hassle in the long run. I have done this myself.

Edited by philliphn

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I just booked my passport renewal appt with the US Consulate and am trying to do the online application that is req'd to be submitted when I show up. I don't get what to do about the second page with all of this "what address should we send the passport to ?" Do I really put the US Consul CM address or what ? What have you others done in the past ?

Wanting to have all my ducks in line well before next week's appointment. Thanks.

Hey guys. I just booked my passport renewal appt with the US Consulate and am trying to do the online application that is req'd to be submitted when I show up. I don't get what to do about the second page with all of this "what address should we send the passport to ?" Do I really put the US Consul CM address or what ? What have you others done in the past ?

Wanting to have all my ducks in line well before next week's appointment. Thanks.

Most pick up the new PP at the Consul. Call them on the phone and ask your questions, it is possible.