Dvd Codes?

xenophanes

Each one is different mate. Believe it or not, if you phone the company offices in thailand (should be on the instruction booklet) they will tell you!!! I got the wife to phone Panasonic Thailand and they gave her the code over the phone!

Thank you for your reply.

You know that was what I suggested but my Thai other half said, 'No,' panic filled eyes and, 'Police take you!'

Mine is Samsung. Player not other half!

If your dvd-player isn't set to all zones, you often can change that by entering a code. This method is legal in most countries.

For most dvd-players you can find the codes on internet, just google the brand and type of player, together with words like code or unlock. Not all dvd-players can be set to another region or set to all regions.

Last time I bought a dvd player I took region 1 and region 2 dvds to the shop.

Tried them on the player to make sure they played OK.

Have bought a Philips and a Pioneer player that play all regions.

Edited by BlueScouse

I got the unlock codes for my Samsung through Google. I can send you a copy, of the sequence (open tray, close tray,enter code etc) but not sure if they would work for your model

Edit

Try this site

http://www.dvdexploder.com I believe it is free, but you have to register, That is what "throw away"email accounts are for :)

Edited by thaimite

...and you can only can change the regions a very few times, after which your dvd reader will lock up on the last setted region, be careful!

The normal number of times a DVD player can have its region change is 5 times. As for legality, some countries it is illegal even to sell region locked players and even considered a violation of the WTO free trade agreements. The only real issue is possibly voiding the manufacturers warranty. Just Google your player brand and model and changing regions and should be able to find the codes.

Changing the code is not illegal but you still can't do illegal things with the player such as copying copyrighted DVD/CDs. The main reason regionalizing players has to do with business (money).

...and you can only can change the regions a very few times, after which your dvd reader will lock up on the last setted region, be careful!

The normal number of times a DVD player can have its region change is 5 times. As for legality, some countries it is illegal even to sell region locked players and even considered a violation of the WTO free trade agreements. The only real issue is possibly voiding the manufacturers warranty. Just Google your player brand and model and changing regions and should be able to find the codes.

Changing the code is not illegal but you still can't do illegal things with the player such as copying copyrighted DVD/CDs. The main reason regionalizing players has to do with business (money).

http://www.videohelp.com/

This is far more complex than I imagined.

Taking a tver's advice I went to Samsung yesterday and they reluctantly gave me a code which I entered into the player. It now does play European dvds but refuses to play some (not all) purchased in Thailand.

I am now more confused than ever as the previous code I had but lost permitted me to play any dvd with any regional code.

I do thank you for all your help but it seems to have been in vain so far.

Taking a tver's advice I went to Samsung yesterday and they reluctantly gave me a code which I entered into the player. It now does play European dvds but refuses to play some (not all) purchased in Thailand.

They gave you the code to switch regions but not to play all regions (region-free). Many DVDs in Thailand are not region locked and why you can still play many but not all.

I am surprised to learn there is sometimes a limit to the number of times one can 'unlock' a DVD player --- I seem to remember some years ago doing it endlessly ---- but now i am warned. Thank you.

Look on the rear of the DVD player ..... almost always always you shall see a graphic of a globe of the world with either a number inside (indicating the zone it is allegedly set for) or the word 'all'. The all indication is much more common on cheaper sets (as already mentioned).

Some brand/models cannot be unlocked .Sanyo is one where certain models cannot be unlocked.

My cheap DVD player finally went to God --- so with a few different zone DVD's in hand I visited one of the larger stores seeking a good quality all zone unit. They produced a Sanyo with the Thai zone printed on the rear and assured me it was incorrectly marked for 'legal reasons" ---- but would play all zones.

Imagine my surprise when after testing it turned out to be true!! The single zone thing happily played all zones.

I suggest you continue to search Google for an all zone unlock code for your unit. Good luck.

About a month ago I went the Emporium and asked about a DVD player that would play all regions. I always love that look of bewilderment the Thais get when they have no idea what you are talking about, but then keep telling you they will give you discount.

So, I walked out and went to the sister store at Siam Paragon. They immediately showed me several. I had brought American discs (region 1) and they played with no problem right out of the DVD box, even though the player said region 3. It was a SONY.

Since then I have played both region 1 and 3 with no codes and had no problems.

Born in a generation more familiar with levers and switches, I am daily dazzled and amazed anew by the digital wonders of this age. Encouraged by the good offices of this forum, I ventured deeply into the interweb and discovered the magical proceedure that now has my dvd player playing discs of many origins.

A call to Bangkok Samsung produced the advice that I should take the gadget and a selection of discs to the Chiang Mai office where, for a fee and a not inconsiderable investment in time and patience, the matter would be investigated with no guarantee of resolution.

Who needs all that when TV and Google combine?

Many thank you's to those who have given their time to reply to my silly enquiry.

I didn't realize they even sold region coded dvd players in Thailand.

Me too.

Over the last 8 years I've bought 4 DVD players in Thailand, 2 Samsung, one Soken and a portable by Techline. The last two being in April this year.

None of them have been region coded, and all have played disks bought in Thailand, the UK and elsewhere.

They also seem able to automatically convert the signal from an NTSC format disk to PAL so it will play ok on my PAL TV.