Danger Zones In Patong

DonaldBattles

Is there a particular area in Patong that could be classed as a danger zone to visiting tourist. This might be the one where there are more shootings, knifings and robberies. I am asked by tourist if they should stay away from given areas of Patong and about police protection there.

Most any area where the pretty women are. lol

The danger areas are crossing the gauntlet of tailor touts and tuk tuk drivers aggressively stopping you.

Drove by there last night and no issues in the northern part of Patong beach, where there are few lights. Tourists walking safely in that area, as well.

See you tonight at your bbq.

This might be the one where there are more shootings, knifings and robberies.

This could be applied to any big city or town anywhere in the world. It's all just a matter of common sense. Don't get drunk in an area you don't know, don't get into an arguement (especially with strangers), and steer clear of dubious neighbourhoods.

This might be the one where there are more shootings, knifings and robberies.

This could be applied to any big city or town anywhere in the world. It's all just a matter of common sense. Don't get drunk in an area you don't know, don't get into an arguement (especially with strangers), and steer clear of dubious neighbourhoods.

I think the question is: where are those dubious neighbourhoods?

IMO: none in Patong (or on Phuket), it is not like in some big cities where there are areas where I would not like to come because of safety reasons.

Beach Rd after about 2 - 3 is known for the LB pickpockets. Otherwise its the usual of keep your eyes open in the less busy / dark areas and dont get into a dispute with the locals.

You could say that for Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai.

Beach Rd after about 2 - 3 is known for the LB pickpockets. Otherwise its the usual of keep your eyes open in the less busy / dark areas and dont get into a dispute with the locals.

There is a beach in Chaing Mai?

I think most of Patong is fairly safe at night. I've never had or heard of major problem areas which tourists should avoid. Lots of police and security. Obviously stay off the beach after dark. Probably the only warning I would give a tourist concerning bad spots would be not to ride motorbikes around Rawaii/Nai Harn after dark. There has been quite a few reports of people getting knocked off their motorbikes and mugged. I know some of the victims personally. One expat farang girl was in a coma for a while after getting kicked off her bike at the Sai Nam Yen/Kata road junction one night. She's the same one that was nearly raped jogging in broad daylight around Nai Harn lake the other week. Of course this can and does happen on every part of the Island, but Rawaii/NaiHarn seems to be a hotspot.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Patong is safe and Rawai is the dangerous place? Did you mention that to the guy that got stabbed by the iguana handlers? Bar brawls, soi katoey etc. I'm going to politely disagree with this assessment.

I didn't say nothing ever happened in Patong. Considering the shear number of people in Patong of course there are going to be incidents. Your chances of being stabbed by an iguana handler or getting in a bar brawl is far less than getting knocked off your motorbike and mugged riding around at night in Rawaii/Nai Harn. Forgot to mention a tourist had a gold chain snatched from around his neck near Kata Noi the other day as well. Suspects fled towards Rawaii.

I didnt realise Bangkok or CM had a beach rd..

But the OP asked about Patong so I gave a Patong answer, do you think its not true ??

I think most of Patong is fairly safe at night.

Patong is safe and Rawai is the dangerous place? Did you mention that to the guy that got stabbed by the iguana handlers? Bar brawls, soi katoey etc. I'm going to politely disagree with this assessment.

I think SB's point was the Kata Rawai Rd at night (same as the Patong / Karon Rd and Patong Kamala) are known roads where bike gangs operate by forcing people off the road. I have male and female friends both Thai and farang that have had this happen to. One had to fight of gun wielding muggers on the Lala to Surin.

Patong in general is pretty safe.. If you just avoid beach rd late and keep your eyes open.. But I said that already.

As farang we need to adapt.

Dont challenge thai men by looking angry or irritated at them. Huge smile if eyecontact or avoid eye contact.

Patong is in general a very safe place, and compared to the number of visitors at late night its extremely safe. But if your looking for trouble you can find it anywhere

Rawai area on bike after 10pm is very unsafe. Police should be ashame of the job carried out in this are.

Edited by katabeachbum

Rawai area on bike after 10pm is very unsafe. Police should be ashame of the job carried out in this are.

All of these issues relating to Rawai, are months old...and also pertain to the front road Rawai to Kata at 2-3am in the morning particualrly around the viewpoint..since the apprehension of that "gang" 3 months ago I don't recall any incident apart from drunken nonsense after 2am . To say Rawai is unsafe after 10pm is absolute rubbish.

All of these issues relating to Rawai, are months old...and also pertain to the front road Rawai to Kata at 2-3am in the morning particualrly around the viewpoint..since the apprehension of that "gang" 3 months ago I don't recall any incident apart from drunken nonsense after 2am . To say Rawai is unsafe after 10pm is absolute rubbish.

its been an unsafe area for past 7 years with plenty of attacks, robbers and some murders. If its currently safe I m happy for now.

1.) The farang girl who was knocked off her bike and put in a coma was at the main junction with Saiyuan rd and Kata Rd.(~2 years ago)

2.) The night the goldnecklace got snatched from the toursit and impromptu police checkpoints were set-up all around Rawaii was 3-4 weeks ago.

3.) The two rapes/attempted rapes were less than a month ago.

And who knows what else we haven't heard of. This is simple guys. OP asked about what to advise tourists in terms of safety, and I think the answer is, along with the usual warnings about the Patong scams and being on the beach after dark, one should be aware of the risks of riding in isolated areas late at night. This includes Kathu, Kamala, Rawaii, Nai Harn etc, as all of these places have been the locations where Thai's and farangs both have been victimized in motorbike robberies. To say the problem is forever solved because one motorbike gang was arrested is, well, naive. Having said that, a few days ago when the dive shop employee was kidnapped it was in a populated are of Kata in the early evening, around 8pm. My own experience of 3+ years, being out all over the island at all hours of the day or night and never having a problem is Phuket is still a fairly safe place, but there are some problems we should all be aware of and take due diligence to avoid being victimized when we can.

And yes, absolutely never get in a dispute with the locals. It will end bad for you every time without exception.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Anywhere near a construction site. I've seen cement rucks backing up that nearly flattened unsuspecting foreign pedestrians. There are often no barriers, or guards when the dump trucks and heavy trucks are moving onto a site. Sure you can say, regular people should keep their eyes open, but sometimes these drivers just don't see the people. The stuff that sometimes falls off of buildings is scary.

Anywhere near a construction site. I've seen cement rucks backing up that nearly flattened unsuspecting foreign pedestrians. There are often no barriers, or guards when the dump trucks and heavy trucks are moving onto a site. Sure you can say, regular people should keep their eyes open, but sometimes these drivers just don't see the people. The stuff that sometimes falls off of buildings is scary.

You definitely need to be careful around the construction sites. I read your post then the next day, (yesterday) I saw two tourists scampering out of under falling debris from a contruction site on Karon beach between the circle and where the FIVB volleyball tourney is being held. Luckily no one was hurt.

As farang we need to adapt.

Dont challenge thai men by looking angry or irritated at them. Huge smile if eyecontact or avoid eye contact.

Yeah and hand your nuts in at immigration on arrival ?!?!

Would rather take the beating thanks.

:) As part of the management team of our security company which operates in some 'not nice places' we strongly promote exactly as you say katabeachbum.We all are foreigners when living anywhere outside of our birthcountry and must respect the indigenous population...you are ,by the mere fact of living here are bound to this fact.You can not beat 'the family, the mafia, the police. Sooner or later, by foul means or fair you will pay the price for your arrogance or wrong actions.

I think anyone who wont accept this and makes remarks as per LOS will without doubt, sooner or later 'take the beating', but more likely with that attitude, something probably terminal.

It is simple common sense to understand that in a serious situation, whether it be an angry soi dog or an angry local, the same procedure applies.... a big smile, NO eye contact and walk away slowly..you are in a no win situation,..you may well beat up one or two, but come tomorrow you are in BIG <deleted>! undebateable fact.

I don't know LOS personally but he appears to be always pushing the boundaries, regards dangerous situations, maybe he has a death wish, as many of his posts have the words along the lines of>>one day i may well get bottled<<<or this one today >>>would rather take the beating thanks<<<< I saw another poster saying he was glad he wasn't a friend also because of the many perceived life threatening situations LOS tallks about.

Also references to friends fighting off gun weilding thugs and being in many dangerous situations sure does make one wonder what his capabilities in 'life preservation' really are. He may very well be a very capable unarmed combat master,..but this i doubt.People who really are capable never talk the talk....They merely walk the walk! Good luck to you anyway LOS.

I think anyone who wont accept this and makes remarks as per LOS will without doubt, sooner or later 'take the beating', but more likely with that attitude, something probably terminal.

It is simple common sense to understand that in a serious situation, whether it be an angry soi dog or an angry local, the same procedure applies.... a big smile, NO eye contact and walk away slowly..you are in a no win situation,..you may well beat up one or two, but come tomorrow you are in BIG &lt;deleted&gt;! undebateable fact.

Ohh dont worry.. Had a few, here included.. Have been stabbed, shot at, and all manner of other things worldwide.

But I dont walk through life looking at my shoes mumbling soft pleasantries to people. I behave well, dont start trouble, and act in a way I personally am comfortable with.. But I am not going to live in fear of others no matter what the cost, the idea of walking through life not making eye contact and looking at the floor !! No wonder they think they can just push people about and everyone will take it.

It is simple common sense to understand that in a serious situation, whether it be an angry soi dog or an angry local, the same procedure applies.... a big smile, NO eye contact and walk away slowly..you are in a no win situation,..you may well beat up one or two, but come tomorrow you are in BIG &lt;deleted&gt;! undebateable fact.

this is such nonsense it's unbelievable. "Undebateable fact", huh?

If you choose to lower your eyes and get alpha dog rolled, that's up to you. I will choose to look bullies in the eyes and let them know I am not scared. Why empower them by putting your tail between your legs?

I was walking down Rat U-thit Road in Patong at about 11:00 a.m. (morning) a few months back. I passed a bar that had the television tuned into a live sporting event I was interested in. So I went in and ordered a banana shake (come on fellas, it's not even noon yet).

The volume on the TV was too low to hear so I went to the TV and increased the volume a bit. Then the bar madam came down on me like a ton of bricks: "don't touch my fxxkxg machine!! You want to change it you talk to me first!!" etc. etc

I was a bit in shock at this point since I had rarely encountered a Thai to lose it so abruptly over something so trivial. I thought that if I was going to be chewed out, I'd rather hear it in Thai. So I told her to calm down, please speak to me in Thai. I had to repeat that request several times before she finally switched from barlish to Thai. And then there was a transformation: from a mean, rampaging bxxtch into a kind and gracious bar hostess. She served my banana shake with tenderness and adjusted the volume with a smile, asking if it was OK.

I chugged the shake, paid the tab and exited, making a mental note to skip that bar in the evening.