Looking To Buy Residential Property

freedom4life

Hello!

Looking to buy some residential property with my gf/fiance in Chaing Mai. I know that I cannot own. I like to search for properties which are sold directly by the owner. I would rather cut out the middle man and deal directly with the owner, that way avoiding service fees or commission. Is it possible to buy property from Banks that have seized the property? Anyway, any help regarding where or who I can start with in getting a rai of land at a good price- 400-600 000 baht. Thanks for your help!

Hello!

Looking to buy some residential property with my gf/fiance in Chaing Mai. I know that I cannot own. I like to search for properties which are sold directly by the owner. I would rather cut out the middle man and deal directly with the owner, that way avoiding service fees or commission. Is it possible to buy property from Banks that have seized the property? Anyway, any help regarding where or who I can start with in getting a rai of land at a good price- 400-600 000 baht. Thanks for your help!

Service fees or commissions are 3% and paid by the seller not buyer. Yes all the major banks in Chiang Mai have repo land go on their website and you can view them, go to the bank and they well give you a broacher on them they are in Thai. Land prices are about 400-600,000 baht per rai thats generally rice, filled double.

Hello!

Service fees or commissions are 3% and paid by the seller not buyer. Yes all the major banks in Chiang Mai have repo land go on their website and you can view them, go to the bank and they well give you a broacher on them they are in Thai. Land prices are about 400-600,000 baht per rai thats generally rice, filled double.

He did not say Chiang Mai City he said Chiang Mai, common sense tells you that the price he quoted was for rice land. Yes in CMC a residential lot could be 2 to 50 million baht and then some. :)

You're right of course. He could have been asking about anywhere in the province but when people say Chiang Mai I usually take that to mean the city or suburbs - otherwise they tend to say "near Fang" or "out beyond Mae Rim" or something similar.

Doubtless the OP will put us straight. :)

You're right of course. He could have been asking about anywhere in the province but when people say Chiang Mai I usually take that to mean the city or suburbs - otherwise they tend to say "near Fang" or "out beyond Mae Rim" or something similar.

You are correct. Property price out hear in Doi Saket is about 400k for rice land and 800k to 1.2m for filled. A friend has purchase 3.6 rai (rice) in Sansi off the 118 for 1.6m.

Edited by gotlost

Chiang Mai province is huge. Fang which is a 2 hour drive from Muang CM is in the CM province, go figure...

Just some friendly advice for the OP:

If you are going to purchase a property in Thailand with your Thai girlfriend, in the event that either you or her break off the relationship, you will lose out big time.

Under Thai law, unless a Farang is actually officially married to a Thai spouse, than the law supposes that you are buying the property as a gift for your girlfriend. Common law relationships are not recognised in Thailand.

A Farang husband in most circumstances is not permitted to own land and property in

Thailand. But if married and that ends in divorce, the Farang husband can claim 50% of it`s value once the property is sold.

I would suggest that if your relationship with the girlfriend is serious enough that you would purchase a property in her name, than it would be wise to actually get married and than acquire a property later on together as husband and wife.

If you are not convinced, I suggest you read some of the horror story threads on Thaivisa or seek the advice of a reputable Thai lawyer.

Be wise and cover yourself before making this huge financial commitment.

You have been warned.

But if married and that ends in divorce, the Farang husband can claim 50% of it`s value once the property is sold.

Even tho' the land office has a piece of paper that says the Farang didn't contribute one red satang towards the purchase?

Any case law in support of this 50/50 split?

Land prices are about 400-600,000 baht per rai thats generally rice, filled double.

Way out in the country maybe, but the OP mentioned Chiang Mai. If you know of any land in town less than eight or ten times that please tell!

( Psssst, Greeners, don't tell anyone, but Chiang Mai is a province... )

We sourced some really nice land at about 200K a rai, plm. 30 minutes out of town. At the suggested price range, you're a bit closer to town, but not 'in town' by any stretch of the imagination. If it's land without very solid papers and/or away from infrastructure then the price goes down from that a lot as well.

I do think however that banks aren't the best place to look (we tried). It only works if you have a contact at the bank and you pay that person some money. What you see when you walk in are the leftovers. (Note that many banks have their property on their website as well; usually Thai language only, let the Mrs. Google for it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hello!

Sounds like you are setting yourself up to take a loss. Like others have said, do some more reading about the consequences. And, again like the others have said, all the good deals are snapped up by bank employees. Only the leftovers are available to the public.

I have some land with house for sale about 20 minutes off town. San Kampheng area. Comes with a house, a godown and a maid's quarters with seperate washroom. one storey with nice mature trees. almost one rai. I believe the unfilled land next to our house is for sale. A rai of land but not sure how much he is asking for it. Can easily convert house area to almost 2 rais!

PM me for details.

Thanks everyone, the more info. I have the more choices. Yes, I am aware of the horror stories. Although, I have been with her almost 5 years and I have pretty well finished looking for any red flags, but still on the alert. I am also going to get a pre nup. made(according to Thai law) to cover myself a little more. My first gf was a she devil in Thailand and that ended before she could take me to the cleaners. Wonderful country Thailand is, but a lot of pitfalls and snakes. Keep the info. coming. Thanks, again! :)

Edited by freedom4life

Thanks everyone, the more info. I have the more choices. Yes, I am aware of the horror stories. Although, I have been with her almost 5 years and I have pretty well finished looking for any red flags, but still on the alert. I am also going to get a pre nup. made(according to Thai law) to cover myself a little more. My first gf was a she devil in Thailand and that ended before she could take me to the cleaners. Wonderful country Thailand is, but a lot of pitfalls and snakes. Keep the info. coming. Thanks, again! :)

Yeah I know somewhere in Doi Saket for around 600,000 I think. You need to check as it may have gone.

Yeah I know somewhere in Doi Saket for around 600,000 I think. You need to check as it may have gone.

oh that bit has definitely gone now... There is shed loads of land for sale everywhere at +/-600K 10KM + out of town.. Just drive around and speak to the locals.. The main problem might be finding a small block or someone willing to sub divide. If Sansai is of interest PM me.

Just found out from my friend: The land is actually 2 plots on a small development ready to build on. one is 1 rai and the other a bit less. Both are for sale at about 500-600,000 each. Wall and services all in. Its an excellent buy but it belongs to a developer who naturally wants to build on it after. So brilliant if you want to build a home but pretty sure it can't be bought just as an investmnet to sit on. Its 15 mins from city. As I say great buy at good price but you must want to build a home on it. Which is fair enough. Maybe try Stephan at www.satihoga.com A real estate company who have helped many people find property. Very nice person too. Good luck.

Edited by Gold2005

Hello!

Shop around out of town, can buy a small 2 bed bunglalow for that price including the land. Have a look around the moo baans on the road to doi saket and sansai.

Go to the banks in the areas you will see cheap properties that have ususally be reposessed. About 10 years old

I have some land with house for sale about 20 minutes off town. San Kampheng area. Comes with a house, a godown and a maid's quarters with seperate washroom. one storey with nice mature trees. almost one rai. I believe the unfilled land next to our house is for sale. A rai of land but not sure how much he is asking for it. Can easily convert house area to almost 2 rais!

PM me for details.

Hi, my wife and I are looking for a place in CM. We live in BKK now, but want to move. Outside the town with some privacy and trees is what we want. Please email me with info and pictures of your home. Thanks

If you are going to purchase a property in Thailand with your Thai girlfriend, in the event that either you or her break off the relationship, you will lose out big time.

Under Thai law, unless a Farang is actually officially married to a Thai spouse, than the law supposes that you are buying the property as a gift for your girlfriend. Common law relationships are not recognised in Thailand.

A Farang husband in most circumstances is not permitted to own land and property in

Thailand. But if married and that ends in divorce, the Farang husband can claim 50% of it`s value once the property is sold.

I would suggest that if your relationship with the girlfriend is serious enough that you would purchase a property in her name, than it would be wise to actually get married and than acquire a property later on together as husband and wife.

If you are not convinced, I suggest you read some of the horror story threads on Thaivisa or seek the advice of a reputable Thai lawyer.

You have been warned.

What i did was make the contract lending the money to the missus garranteed by the land, like a bank would on a morgage but with out any monthly payments. I dont know why more people dont do this. Save alot of trouble and scrutiny than a company and can rquire money back if you chose. Not that i think i'll need it, but better safe than sorry eh.

You have been warned.

here! hare! I think people are 'barking' to even consider buying land or a house here - married or not! unless they can afford to give it away if things go wrong! there are tonds of stories - why take the risk? buy a condo

unless they can afford to give it away if things go wrong! there are tonds of stories - why take the risk? buy a condo

Of course you can afford to give it away.. When you can get a nice plot of land, say a rai or two for well under 10K Euros, what's the big dilemma?

I rarely see condos worth owning. (Well, maybe I do but then they cost 10 million baht) Everything else is like being locked up in a hotel room perpetually.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Plenty of good land in Sanpatong not rice going rate 400,000 rai,most of the good stuff the banks had has been snapped up where I am,know of one nice bit 1.7 rai for around 600,000.

400K is a bit on the high side; I know it gets paid, but it's mainly commercial, agricultural and logistical factors that would warrant that price, nothing to do with how scenic the place is for residential purposes. So there's a 'going rate', and then there's 'a really good deal', which would be closer to half that for a rai, with papers.

unless they can afford to give it away if things go wrong! there are tonds of stories - why take the risk? buy a condo

Of course you can afford to give it away.. When you can get a nice plot of land, say a rai or two for well under 10K Euros, what's the big dilemma?

I rarely see condos worth owning. (Well, maybe I do but then they cost 10 million baht) Everything else is like being locked up in a hotel room perpetually.

I guess it's perception - I live in a very nice condo and never feel that way... and I own it - nice feeling. I hate renting and would hate living in a house 'owned' by someone else - I just like it being 'mine' with 'my' stuff etc.

You have been warned.

What i did was make the contract lending the money to the missus garranteed by the land, like a bank would on a morgage but with out any monthly payments. I dont know why more people dont do this. Save alot of trouble and scrutiny than a company and can rquire money back if you chose. Not that i think i'll need it, but better safe than sorry eh.

When you lend a wife money half of it immediately becomes hers as married people are one under Thai law.

Lawyers will always draft contracts but often are unenforceable or contain, as above, invalid law. That on its own can invalidate the entire contract. Talk to a western lawyer who understands Thai law.

You have been warned.

When you lend a wife money half of it immediately becomes hers as married people are one under Thai law.

Lawyers will always draft contracts but often are unenforceable or contain, as above, invalid law. That on its own can invalidate the entire contract. Talk to a western lawyer who understands Thai law.

It was drawn up by a western lawyer before we were married. Half is fine which i should be entitled to anyway now that we are married. The OP wasn't married I thought?